Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

tonyoliver

how window cleaning used to be done
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:22:55 pm »
when I first started cleaning in 1988.
 I was trained up and put on the local marks and spencer 6 o'clock six days a week  non sunday opening then all outside windows all frames all doors all signs every day. mop floor and scoop out the rubbish in the door jambs etc. by 9 o'clock.
the manager who was ex guards and seven feet tall walked around with a hankie  white  of course randomly rubbing sills frames etc. any marks pardon the pun  he just showed you the hankie never said a word which ment not good enough do it again  that's how it used to be done.................................................

roll on 2015 I walked by the shop again in the morning last week and stopped to watch the window cleaners at work 
one had a shopping trolley with the gear in and hit the windows with the applicator and no water the second came along  rubber squeaking away behind with the squeegee  both just shuffled along dragging their feet in the way the surly folk do not giving a damn about quality of appearance the job was awful
my ex guards man would have had kittens 
we lost the job as the company that got it was going to pay the.......... princely sum of one pound an hour a fee nor windy could live on the world of the high street cleaner has been wrecked by low wages poor standards and shoddy work I am glad ia
 out of that now and do high end residential and some high end commercial
how could ourtrade gone so downhill so badly

Matt.

Re: how window cleaning used to be done
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »
Hello tony.
You would be my ideal window cleaner applying for a job, standards are everything to me.  I say to whoever rings up, looking for work,
Have you done window cleaning before ??
If no, then am not interested
If yes, I always ask on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your own work.  ;D most say 8,9 or 10  ;D, so if you are an 8,9,10 you know what your doing and good at it so there won't be any issues in the morning??
Some are honest and say 4,5,6 if that's the case then I will arrange to meet up in the afternoon as I no they won't be good enough, and can have a bit more time to explain what I expect for my customers.
So I say  "ya can come out for the day and let me see ya work".  Pretty much all that apply are of the standards described by them clowns, and bare in mind I start before 4 and no buses til after 5.
So we get to the first job and I say crack on mate and let's see ya work, ....... Am like, ...... Just put ya swag back in the bucket and go find ya self a bus stop.

It has nothing to do with anything other than personal standards, I see some so called windies and think how on earth do you keep your job,
I suppose for big firms as long as someone turns up and shows there face, they don't give a dump.
I have to compete with these companies and there crazy pricing, I suppose Alls ya can do is just laugh at them.

Them old guys from back in the day before my time are the best, I was speaking to an old windie the other day, he is 96, was out with his grand daughters and they were telling me he still goes up a ladder and cleans his own windows.......... I did the right thing and shook his hand, and told him to let the grand kids clean them now,
Wot a legend, even to be up and out enjoying life at that age

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:11:04 pm »
 I was trained up and put on the local marks and spencer 6 o'clock six days a week  non sunday opening then all outside windows all frames all doors all signs every day. mop floor and scoop out the rubbish in the door jambs etc. by 9 o'clock.
the manager who was ex guards and seven feet tall walked around with a hankie  white  of course randomly rubbing sills frames etc. any marks pardon the pun  he just showed you the hankie never said a word which ment not good enough do it again  that's how it used to be done.................................................

Although I only started window cleaning in about 2001, if that had been me I think I would have shoved that white cloth where the sun don't shine. Being retired military doesn't give that person the right to treat others like they are in the military and to me, it's isn't a sign of a superior person, it's a sign of an pig ignorant sphincter and was then even in 1989.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:47:36 am »

roll on 2015 I walked by the shop again in the morning last week and stopped to watch the window cleaners at work 
one had a shopping trolley with the gear in and hit the windows with the applicator and no water the second came along  rubber squeaking away behind with the squeegee  both just shuffled along dragging their feet in the way the surly folk do not giving a damn about quality of appearance the job was awful
my ex guards man would have had kittens 
we lost the job as the company that got it was going to pay the.......... princely sum of one pound an hour a fee nor windy could live on the world of the high street cleaner has been wrecked by low wages poor standards and shoddy work I am glad ia
 out of that now and do high end residential and some high end commercial
how could ourtrade gone so downhill so badly

its always the same with every generation isnt it? ;D ;D

"it was different/better back in our day" etc,etc

the truth is window cleaning has always had (and will!)its fair share of shoddy workmen/charlatans like in many other trades.probably more so in window cleaning as it tends to attract the feckless,unemployable,uneducated dregs of society. ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Matt.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:54 pm »
Definatley

TomCrowther

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:39:15 pm »
I think what has changed is the customers approach to quality, not the man on the job. It is pretty common for window cleaning, and for that matter contract cleaning to be seen as a tick in the box, commodity thing. When it is really a people/attitude thing.
I do two supermarkets in and out each week. They are looking for a "national company" to save costs and what will happen is no surprise to any of us.
Yrs, they will save money, the Windows will be done every two or three weeks, badly. Before you know it, they will be s disgrace and the store manager will be having a fit  : ::)roll

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:17:50 pm »
Ross - standards are standards mate, it shows that the job was not upto standard, if it was done right he wouldn't have a dirty hanky, however it wouldn't be accepted now because not enough people care or have pride in their work ( and in part the low price/wage that's on offer )

The local co-ops have a contractor to clear the rubbish and window clean the guy turns up with a thread bare applicator and squeegee, if it's wet he dips the applicator in a puddle, if dry just wafts it around dry.

It's just sad to see a job done sooooo badly
Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk