Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cornwallwindows

Squeegy advice needed!
« on: February 19, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
I've just had a regular job come in for Prezzo in Newquay.
They want the inside doing once a week but the panes of glass are huge, the biggest I've had to squeegy.
Any tips on squeeging large panes? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wfp junkie so don't have a huge amount of experience with the squeegy!  ::)roll

It's the one on the far left.

Spruce

Re: Squeegy advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:18:41 pm »
They want the inside doing once a week but the panes of glass are huge, the biggest I've had to squeegy.
Any tips on squeeging large panes? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a wfp junkie so don't have a huge amount of experience with the squeegy!  ::)roll

We use 3 Unger Teleplus aluminum poles, cone adaptors, 1 x applicator, 1 x 0 degree Unger swivel squeegee and 1 Unger FIXI system clamp with a cloth for detailing.

Son uses the applicator and I squeegee whilst he catches most of the squeegeed water with his applicator. He then follows along with the FIXI clamp and towel and details the edges.

One set of glass panels we clean are 30' high (length of glass panel about 12') and the others are about 35' high (length of panel about 25'). It takes a bit of practice. The 30' height panels takes us an hour to do and there is 9 of them. The others take 2 hours and there are 12 of them.

Fairy liquid doesn't work at those heights due to the amount of detailing that needs to be done. We use Bio-Kleen Heavy Duty Degreaser from JSK Eco Solutions, Ireland (Cork 021 - 4318545). It is a concentrate and they recommend mixing it 1 part solution to 10 parts water. We found it worked better that those heights with 1 part solution to 20 - 25 parts of water.  It cleaned just as well but made detailing easier.

We followed the same principle as per this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODg_gZ53v0U

We mentally divide the glass into 3 sections and do 3 panels at a time. Lower the poles and start back on the first panel and do the second third. We then do the bottom section. There isn't much space for doing it any other way.

Human traffic is a consideration so whilst son is applicating I watch for people entering and exiting the building and he does the same when I'm squeegeeing.

We also make sure that our warning signs are well placed and very visible for any person in the area to see.

This job is a leisure center and we start at 6am when they open. We try to do the area most effected by the amount of foot traffic first thing and have to be finished before 8.30 as this is when the coffee lounge opens.

The 9 large glass panels are in the swimming pool area and we go back and do them from 9 to 10pm that evening when the center closes.  

The only issue you may have is if the glass sections are boxed in. Whilst you can clean the glass easily, cleaning the 'sill' is more difficult.

We have a large 35' high atrium we do on another job and this is the problem we have on the inside. Whilst I can clean the windows we have to use a scaffold tower (provided by the customer) to clean the very top windows due to the internal roof support structure, and the bottom window box sections.

Another cleaner uses wfp inside the atrium of the office block he does at a chemical company nearby. He puts down water absorbant mats and they use a wet and dry vacuum to vacuum up the water as necessary.

We can't do this in our two jobs due to electrical cabling with lighting, exit doors on security alarm senors and electrically operated sliding doors.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Sean Dyer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »
Ive been doing some like that today
I use an extension pole , aluminium one that goes to about 2m i think with an 18" washer and same size squeegee
i just clean upto where i can reach by hand then trad clean as usual

ps id edit the price out ,someone local may undercut you??

cornwallwindows

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:46:39 pm »
Haha, I thought we were all honest on here Sean, it's gone. :P

Thanks Spruce for the detailed reply. Not sure if I'll just get an indoor cleaning kit, just to be on the safe side! Don't want to be leaving streaks on the first clean.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:02:45 pm »
Haha, I thought we were all honest on here Sean, it's gone. :P

Thanks Spruce for the detailed reply. Not sure if I'll just get an indoor cleaning kit, just to be on the safe side! Don't want to be leaving streaks on the first clean.

I also bought an Unger indoor cleaning kit CK05G. The only 2 useful things were the swivel pad, and a washing pad. The swivel pad screws onto an angle adaptor so last time my son used my 40' slx with the washing pad as an applicator.

What I will try is a tools adaptor from Gardiner so I can give son back the unger pole with applicator and I will squeegee using my c/f pole which will give me more control (I hope).   

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 04:04:14 pm »
I copied your first post and have also removed the price.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »

I'm still seriously considering also doing some of the internal glass panels with WFP and a wet and dry vacuum cleaner, leaving the sections that have electrical boxes and lighting to be done by hand.

It needs careful consideration. We already have got water into a door sensor whilst cleaning the outside, causing a malfunction and setting the alarm off. It cost the customer a £140 call out for the engineer just open and dry the water out of the sensor.

the king

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 05:22:03 pm »

cornwallwindows

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71N2-1RhutY

get one of these beasts ;D

Whoa! Haha. The big one is about 2ft taller than me!
Isn't that the guy from Breaking Bad though?!

cornwallwindows

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:43:55 pm »

I'm still seriously considering also doing some of the internal glass panels with WFP and a wet and dry vacuum cleaner, leaving the sections that have electrical boxes and lighting to be done by hand.

It needs careful consideration. We already have got water into a door sensor whilst cleaning the outside, causing a malfunction and setting the alarm off. It cost the customer a £140 call out for the engineer just open and dry the water out of the sensor.

Jesus, that would take me about 2 days with my little squeegee, but isn't the size that matters it's the technique  :P That what I've always stuck to anyway!

jimiwindows

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:17 pm »

Get a window cleaner.

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 10:02:37 pm »
Does anyone do them in the UK?

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 10:29:06 pm »
I thought these went national the end of last year.I could be wrong.
All of the other Italian chain resturaunts have like ask,zizzi,pizza express.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 11:06:36 pm »

We use 3 Unger Teleplus aluminum poles, cone adaptors, 1 x applicator, 1 x 0 degree Unger swivel squeegee and 1 Unger FIXI system clamp with a cloth for detailing.

Son uses the applicator and I squeegee whilst he catches most of the squeegeed water with his applicator. He then follows along with the FIXI clamp and towel and details the edges.

One set of glass panels we clean are 30' high (length of glass panel about 12') and the others are about 35' high (length of panel about 25'). It takes a bit of practice. The 30' height panels takes us an hour to do and there is 9 of them. The others take 2 hours and there are 12 of them.

Fairy liquid doesn't work at those heights due to the amount of detailing that needs to be done. We use Bio-Kleen Heavy Duty Degreaser from JSK Eco Solutions, Ireland (Cork 021 - 4318545). It is a concentrate and they recommend mixing it 1 part solution to 10 parts water. We found it worked better that those heights with 1 part solution to 20 - 25 parts of water.  It cleaned just as well but made detailing easier.

We followed the same principle as per this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODg_gZ53v0U

We mentally divide the glass into 3 sections and do 3 panels at a time. Lower the poles and start back on the first panel and do the second third. We then do the bottom section. There isn't much space for doing it any other way.

Human traffic is a consideration so whilst son is applicating I watch for people entering and exiting the building and he does the same when I'm squeegeeing.

We also make sure that our warning signs are well placed and very visible for any person in the area to see.

This job is a leisure center and we start at 6am when they open. We try to do the area most effected by the amount of foot traffic first thing and have to be finished before 8.30 as this is when the coffee lounge opens.

The 9 large glass panels are in the swimming pool area and we go back and do them from 9 to 10pm that evening when the center closes.  

The only issue you may have is if the glass sections are boxed in. Whilst you can clean the glass easily, cleaning the 'sill' is more difficult.

We have a large 35' high atrium we do on another job and this is the problem we have on the inside. Whilst I can clean the windows we have to use a scaffold tower (provided by the customer) to clean the very top windows due to the internal roof support structure, and the bottom window box sections.

Another cleaner uses wfp inside the atrium of the office block he does at a chemical company nearby. He puts down water absorbant mats and they use a wet and dry vacuum to vacuum up the water as necessary.

We can't do this in our two jobs due to electrical cabling with lighting, exit doors on security alarm senors and electrically operated sliding doors.

Hi Spruce, there is another method we find works great for high internals especially if there are electrical boxes and wiring etc, take the end cap off a 3 x 2mtr ext pole and slot in a 30cm flat mop frame the aluminium ones with two velcro strips, put on a damp microfiber cloth or microfiber glass mop pad spray some cleaning solution onto the damp pad or cloth and proceed to clean the glass panel, then take off the damp cloth or pad and stick on a dry microfiber glass cloth or pad and proceed to polish off for a streak free finish, with this method you don't have to worry about spills or splashes, if the job is being done once a week you will probably get away with just using water to dampen the microfiber cloths or microfiber glass pads.