Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark15

Cracked a piece of glass
« on: February 09, 2015, 03:16:19 pm »
Been cleaning windows for more than 8 years now. 4 years traditionally on ladders & last 4 1/2 years water fed pole. Decided few months ago to use warm water. 2nd house this Saturday just gone,I'm cleaning a window on a Upvc porch & I heard the dreaded sound & saw a big CRACK!!!! The water was hardly warm at all. I was gutted. Back to the cold water for me now... Window was at a rough guess 28inches by 8inches  triple glazed? Anyone on here got a rough idea of the bill I'm goin to receive to replace it?

Perfect Windows

Re: Cracked a piece of glass
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:28:15 pm »
Don't know how much but get a local glazier rather than a UPVC company to replace it.  Get it done quickly and painlessly as far as the house owner is concerned and the customer will think better of you than they did before you broke it.

Vin

mark15

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 04:34:50 pm »
Don't know how much but get a local glazier rather than a UPVC company to replace it.  Get it done quickly and painlessly as far as the house owner is concerned and the customer will think better of you than they did before you broke it.

Vin
think local builder/handyman who put porch up originally is fixing it? I've told customer as soon as it's done to ring me & I'll drop money off same day... Hope that keeps her sweet

mufcglen

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »
you might have seen my comment a few months ago about cracking a window too with hot water, i was using it very hot at the time and had just started using it, it put right off using it again but over time and turning the temp down to a warmish water that still helps clean the windows faster its been spot on however i still cringe when i hear frames creaking etc!, i had the glass replaced sharpish and that one off clean turned into a regular clean as she was so chuffed with not only the clean but also how i got it all sorted and didnt try to run, luckily i had a local guy who supplied and replaced the glass for less than i'd pay for the glass alone.
i paid £25 for a piece about 15 inches across by 10 up!

mark15

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:47:07 pm »
you might have seen my comment a few months ago about cracking a window too with hot water, i was using it very hot at the time and had just started using it, it put right off using it again but over time and turning the temp down to a warmish water that still helps clean the windows faster its been spot on however i still cringe when i hear frames creaking etc!, i had the glass replaced sharpish and that one off clean turned into a regular clean as she was so chuffed with not only the clean but also how i got it all sorted and didnt try to run, luckily i had a local guy who supplied and replaced the glass for less than i'd pay for the glass alone.
i paid £25 for a piece about 15 inches across by 10 up!
my water was luke warm literally.... I was surprised how it cracked

mufcglen

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 04:52:47 pm »
i didnt even know untill the woman contacted me later that night,ruined my meal out at my brother in laws new restaraunt i was gutted lol!
we make enough money though to fix these issues and anything else thats whats insurance is for lol

niceandclean

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:17:48 pm »
You have to be careful when your cleaning porches and conservatories that are not heated. It's just thermal shock, it's like pouring warm water on a frozen windscreen, 9 times out of 10 you will be lucky, but there's always a chance it will crack. In 10 years of cleaning with hot water, I've only had one sealed unit crack.
You were just unlucky.
 :)

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:14 pm »
£103 cost when I broke one - warm water but minus three air temperature.

Jonny 87

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:57:33 pm »
When it's sub zero I run my heater on minimum. If you touch the water coming out at the brush head it feels stone cold, but when you put it on the glass you can see it steaming round the edges.

So if it's freezing cold and you can feel warmth at the brush head then that's too cold.

All I use my heater for is to stop water freezing, and that's good enough for me. I learned the hard way too.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 08:02:16 pm »
years ago i worked as a window fitter, go to local glazers with exact measurements and thel knock you up the unit, shouldnt be hard to fit, 2foot by 8inches wont be alot at all
when life throws you water, clean windows

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 08:05:35 pm »
Triple glazed sealed unit - don't think your local glazier will keep that in stock?

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 08:06:19 pm »
Triple glazed - don't think your local glazier will keep that in stock?

they make it mate.
when life throws you water, clean windows

Dave Willis

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 08:12:29 pm »
When it's sub zero I run my heater on minimum. If you touch the water coming out at the brush head it feels stone cold, but when you put it on the glass you can see it steaming round the edges.

So if it's freezing cold and you can feel warmth at the brush head then that's too cold.

All I use my heater for is to stop water freezing, and that's good enough for me. I learned the hard way too.

Sounds quite common I bet there's a few who won't admit to it though.

Tony dunmall

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 08:22:24 pm »
Been using hot about 7 years never broke a pain, Very unfortunate when it happens

Maybe being triple glazed means outer pain remains cold

I do use fan jets though  I wonder if they spread the heat more never really thought about it

mufcglen

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 08:31:14 pm »
thats a though when i broke mine i was using jets now i use fans every day,when its been really cold last week though i gave the windows a quick spray before i put the brush on them not to shock them!!