Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gsw

turning water flow off to scrub!
« on: April 18, 2006, 05:26:05 pm »
Hi,
today to save water I have been turning off the flow to scrub the windows clean then turning flow on to rinse off. it has definitely saved water and the results seemed no different to leaving the water on throughout the clean.
Does anyone else do this and are there any problems that you have come across that I might need to know about?

It means I can comfortably do tops and bottoms all day without running out of water at least!!

thanks.
Greg.

Londoner

Re: turning water flow off to scrub!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 05:57:56 pm »
It is part of my modified procedure that I am working to perfect at the moment.
I have just got some smaller jets from Cleantech for my Vikan brush and that saves a lot of water. Now I have an on/off tap from Varitech and thats the next stage.

I posted a thread recently about water usage when I thought the jets on my Vikan brush was chucking out too much water. Some of the replies to that thread were a revelation to me and have started me thinking very seriously about how little water you actually need to clean a house.

gsw

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:28:52 pm »
thanks vince, i saw the post where someone said that they use 1/4 of a bucket of water per house....that's what got me thinking. I currently use an ionics set up, i have changed my jets from 4mm to 2mm (pencil jets) and was considering changing to microbore hose to conserve more water.
I have a 300L tank and can manage about 12-14 new 3 bed semi/detached upvc houses top and bottom with the flow on all the time. I'm running out of water at this point!
I could easily fit in another 6-10 houses in a day if i had a bigger capacity..... i was considering a holding tank in the garage and then coming home to refill my tank halfway through the day!
it would mean a lot of messing about, turning the flow off to scrub could be the answer I'm looking for........ I use an inline tap to control the flow.

yes in hindsight i should have got a 650L setup!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:48:17 pm »
Hi,
today to save water I have been turning off the flow to scrub the windows clean then turning flow on to rinse off. Greg.

Greg,

I do this sometimes.  Wet the window; switch the water off; by bending the hose; then give it a scrub, then rinse.

But it does take a bit longer I think, but the results are just as good.

I only tend to do this if I've only a couple of windows left to do on an account and I don't want to waste time re-filling the back pack.

I'd only ever do this on maintenance cleans; not first cleans.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 09:51:38 pm »
I am the 1/4 bucket man.
If you think it through water off when scrubbing is bot much different to giving them a quick scrub, moving on to the next window and doing the same then going back to the first and a quick rinse.
You get aggrevating drops  on h/phobic, so if you go back later you are diluting the dirt by 100%

gsw

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:37:54 pm »
thanks jeff, and I am assuming you use this method on all your maintenance cleans. I am hoping i wont need the holding tank in the garage then!!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 06:49:24 am »
I use a smal 150L round tank in my Garage and leave the RO drippimg away.
It does of course depend on how much pollution you have. I live in a rural area and clean 2 monthly.
If you have been used to large ammounts of water per day you will have great difficulty becoming a minimalist.- what you never had you wont miss.