Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Perfect Windows

Dual mass flywheels
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:45 am »
As problems with these seem to come up fairly often, here's some advice from the motoring writer n the Telegraph:

----

Is there any way to avoid dual mass flywheel problems, other than by not buying a diesel? Are they affected by driving style or maintenance? I have a 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi and wonder whether I'm on borrowed time.

JD, Hanwell

Don't let the clutch out when you're in gear and the engine is idling – always apply some revs. Also, try to double declutch smoothly up and down the box. That's the advice offered by readers whose DMFs have lasted for 200,000 miles.

----

Hope this helps someone.  If you don't want to learn to double declutch, at least try to match engine revs with road speed when you change gear.

Vin

Clever Forum Name

Re: Dual mass flywheels
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:10:52 am »
Good thread, my advice would be drive it like you stole it  ;)

Soupy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:24:44 am »
Genius.

robbo333

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »
Not sure if mine is on the way out (ford connect) but I have a funny noise.
It sounds a bit like a brake disc is rubbing but when you push the clutch in, it stops straight away.
Also if I boot it, the noise tends to disappear. All the gears and everything a fine.  :-\
Any thoughts would be good.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 04:45:54 pm »
Not sure if mine is on the way out (ford connect) but I have a funny noise.
It sounds a bit like a brake disc is rubbing but when you push the clutch in, it stops straight away.
Also if I boot it, the noise tends to disappear. All the gears and everything a fine.  :-\
Any thoughts would be good.

If it goes away when you put your foot on the clutch then it is probably coming from the release bearing. But the reason could be that the 'fingers' on the clutch plate have worn and some have broken.

I don't know when DMF's started to be fitted to Connects but a call to your local motor factors with your reg number will confirm. DMFs do also stop making a noise if the clutch pedal is depressed.

Failure with a standard clutch with solid flywheel will usually mean no more clutch. It doesn't usually cause much damage. One the other had, a DMF that breaks up can damage gearbox, gearbox housing and clutch control arm if it disintergrates at speed/high engine revs.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)