Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

brianbarber

Solid wood flooring-reduce slippery surface
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:04:41 pm »
Have a customer with large lounge and family rooms, they have solid wood flooring, possibly engineered style,but it's very slippery, almost like a skating rink

Is there a treatment that can be applied to make this floor less slippery?

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Jamie Pearson

Re: Solid wood flooring-reduce slippery surface
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:56:46 pm »
Yes there is. It will depend on whether the floor is lacquered or oiled.

Have they been using furniture polish to clean it?

I once did a dance floor at a hotel where they had reports of over 20 falls at a wedding. Turned out the Chinese cleaners couldn't read English saw the wood grain on the furniture polish and did all 100m2 on their hands and knees.

brianbarber

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:15:02 pm »
Yes there is. It will depend on whether the floor is lacquered or oiled.

Have they been using furniture polish to clean it?

I once did a dance floor at a hotel where they had reports of over 20 falls at a wedding. Turned out the Chinese cleaners couldn't read English saw the wood grain on the furniture polish and did all 100m2 on their hands and knees.

I will find out next week, and email you if ok with you?
We were doing an internal clean, it's a huge area,and after we both fell we thought might be an idea to see if we can help the homeowner...

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:31:48 pm »

Terry Guilford

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:21 pm »
Brian,

There is a product on the market known as "Soapy Wood Cleaner" this and generic versions of it are responsible for some of the most lethal floors I have come across. If they eat in any of those rooms or if they are directly off the kitchen it may well be a combination of grease build up combined with inappropriate cleaning products. This doesn't mean the house or the owners are dirty, often it's quite the opposite, it's the fact that there is no extraction process when homeowners clean their own floors so the cleaning product/grease mix is merely spread around.
Before putting any "non slip" product on the floor it will need to be properly cleaned with a rotary, a red pad and a professional wood floor cleaner.

Terry

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:30:46 pm »

I would also add wrong dilutions rates (wife a nightmare for that)

And before you ask Brian yes you can borrow any of my rotaries
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Terry Guilford

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »
Funny you should mention that Len, just been talking to a customer whose been using our cleaning product at ten times the required strength, they rang because they thought it was expensive!

Terry

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:18:41 pm »
Terry

It all down to training and right product for the job but this is the domestic side ;)

Can’t believe Mike B got this on his site :o

http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/products/housewares/h2omopx5/h2omopx5.php

(*)Always check your floor manufacturer's cleaning instructions prior to using this product
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Terry Guilford

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:34:58 am »
True!

The ads for those steam mops crack me up, your child spills a drink, do you (a) go to the cupboard and take out your steam mop, fill it with water, put on a microfibre head, plug it in, wait for it to heat up and then mop up the spill OR (b) get a microfibre mop or cloth and clean up the spill.

Terry

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 01:29:20 pm »
The answer is (c) put a rug over it.

Terry Guilford

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 05:15:34 pm »
You can tell that man has years of experience LOL