Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Timmy Boy

What would you do
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:54:07 am »
Good morning all
Had a phone call a few weeks ago from a 'Mrs Mop' style house cleaner who asked if we could clean some carpets at some of her customers homes, she said that after each job she would pay. We did the first job which was a fifty quid two room job and no problem and paid as agreed. We then went to a second one where she wanted 2 sofas and carpets. Total cost 200. White wool carpets and jean stained sofas! Sofas came up good but wool carpets had cat pee everywhere. Tried removing the pee but as you can imagine not much luck. Then to top things off, the guy I was working with moved a vertical blind and it all fell apart! Aaaaaaaaah! Said to mrs mop that I would sort out the blind which I did the next day (whole new track 25.00). She said that she thought that the cat pee would come out with her industrial degreaser she uses and I told her that I would not be willing to use her products as I would be liable for any damage they caused. She then says that she would need to ask the home owner if he will be willing to pay me as I didn't get the cat pee marks out! She has just ring this morning and, what a surprise she says that the home owner got another company in and they have removed all the stains I left and will not pay me a penny! What a load of c**p I bet the pee is still there and she has pocketed the money. Do you think I should write to the homeowner?

davep

Re: What would you do
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:37 am »
Easy enough. Should of qualified with her any stains that may not budge.

Ask to see the carpet with stains removed.

Find out what they used and post on here  ;)

Timmy Boy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:11:08 am »
I did tell her at the beginning that the pee would be a problem and we would do put best but should have seen the warning signs that she was going to stiff me!

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:35 am »
Timmy

If I ever go to a property with urine I always make it crystal clear the chances of it coming out is slim to none. That goes for any potentially non-removeable stain.  That way you have covered yourself before starting.

I would be tempted to go back to the property when there is someone in and have a look to see if the stains are REALLY gone!

It sounds just like 'one of those jobs' we all have now and again. Just put it down to experience and move on...

John

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:37:30 pm »
You weren't working for the home owner, you were working for her.
I'd call at the property and ask to look at the carpets in question and take photos if the stains are still there.
If you explained the stains would not come out she is still liable to pay your bill as it is unreasonable to expect every stain to come out when all you can reasonably be expected to do is your best.
Tell her if she doesn't pay you'll take her to court.

Simon

wynne jones

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »
She rang you, you told her the score with the wee. Tell her you want your money if she cant get it off her client then thats her hard luck. If you think she is pretty geniune and you think you can work together then fair enough. but I dont like these deals. Id prefer to be the one hiring a general cleaner. 
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 02:00:33 pm »
It's not unreasonable to view the carpet with the stains removed, if she disagrees tell her you willl take her to court. Folks like this tick me off, the amount is almost not worth it but i'd do it. Stress she hired you not the owner. Did you do a written survey?

Timmy Boy

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 05:52:35 pm »
I didn't do a written quote because of the value involved but with hind site I wish I had! She really gave that feeling that she was going to pull something like this, like you say the amount is not a big deal but I wonder how many carpet cleaners she has ripped off!

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:43 pm »
Tim,
Go after her.
It doesn't matter what the sum of money is, it is the principle.
Simon

Craigp

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 06:45:18 pm »
Simon right.

Say to her

"You never told me if the stain don't come out your not paying me, and if you had I never would of done it, therefore I should still be paid"

"plus i told you the urine stain may not come out"

Robert Watson

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 08:03:59 pm »
Sounding like collage fees.
The Kitchen Door Centre

Steve Chapman

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 08:14:00 pm »
I had a very similar job to this a while back and when I asked to come back and see the stains removed they were unwilling but i knew they were the kind of people to not back down.

I would usually take them to court but on this occasion I offered a 30% discount which they accepted and and paid up the rest of the money.

I knew they were pulling a fast one but on this occasion I just didnt want the stress and waste of time dealing with it and thought some money from the job was better than nothing.

Fortunately these jobs only come along once in a while so my philosphy is to just take what you can and move on to the nice people  :)

Most of the time its not worth the agro, especially if you know you did a good job, better to just move on than lose sleep over it.

Regards
Steve

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 08:34:53 pm »
Exactly Steve, managing expectations is one thing we all should know how to do but sometimes we don't, when other cleaners say 'it's just a job' then refer back to this as we aren't paid by the hour we are paid by the job ..... when it gets paid!

Shaun

Neil Jones

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 09:06:05 pm »
Did you at least get paid for the sofa, what is the excuse in not paying for that. I would definitely ask to see the carpet and a receipt off the company who cleaned it, if no receipt then their number so you can ring them. If she disagrees to letting you see the stains then contact the homeowner, if you are dealing with her then she should pay, if she says its the homeowner not willing to pay then she can't argue with you speaking with them. It just wouldn't be acceptable in my world, they wouldn't get away with it, i'd be at the door on a Sunday morning.

If she is scamming you then she will lose a cleaning customer.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 09:32:25 pm »
Ring every other cleaner for 15 miles and tell them she is a scumbag.
Worked for my mate in another trade.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

bennymon

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:03:15 pm »
Go and see the owners if she has been paid ask politely for your money if she says no politely take a baseball bat to her van   ;)   ;) del

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 10:21:22 pm »
i'd go straight round to job and ask who been after you and if stains have been removed then take the hit if not go get your money oh and if they have gone get them round another job and see how they done it on the SLY  ;D
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 09:22:17 am »
Its easy just go round to the house and confront the owner, if you want to be sly about it go round and ask if they have found your handtool, tell them you think this was the last job you used it on and now you can't find it ;)

You will know as soon as the answer the for if you ave been ripped off, if the welcome you with open arms and tell you what a great job you did then the cleaner has pulled a fast one.....

If they release the dogs shouting......" KILL !!"  Then you did a crap job :D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk