Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garry

wfp good or bad
« on: February 20, 2006, 02:49:01 pm »
 wfp great does a good job and much safer.
 now the bad news anyone can now do window cleaning with wfp afther bit of training. the reason lots of people dont do wc is because they dont like ladders heights etc now wfp loads of new wc starting up :( dont want to sound a doom and gloom merchant but i do fear for the future of window cleaning.
what do u lot think?

mark6765

Re: wfp good or bad
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 03:01:12 pm »
Its still hard work in bad weather.
it may appeal to a few more people.
but if there the sort who can invest in a van and wfp they will be professional, and probly push the price up.
there  the sort we want in this business.
not down and outs who cnt get a proper job so they hav a go at windowcleaning with a borrowed ladder, and a few scrims.

woops thats how i started  ;D ;D ;D

im not worried.
theres plenty of work.

Morph

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 03:09:31 pm »
Don't worry, garry
I have these kind of thoughts often on a monday.
Thinking realistically:  Loads of people start windowcleaning trad way, but don't last, even though it is low outlay.  True the ladder is a big reason why they don't last, but plenty of other reasons too, season changes, no real people skills, no self motivation, the skills of the job harder to learn than they first thought, can't get the price right, bad managers, and loads more...
WFP requires all those skills and more, long term.  Plus much bigger outlay.  There will be plenty jumping on the bandwagon, but like the old method, they'll soon find out it's tougher than they thought to stay on, only diving into WFP without proper planning could leave them deeper in debt than making a mistake with a bucket career.  I have met loads over the years that just couldn't hack it the trad way.  Overall running a WFP business is harder, so keep yer head up!

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 03:17:17 pm »
Hi gary
i think you may be over reacting,

most of us started trad methods very few new w/cs are going to invest in wfp to start up,

WHY?

firstly the cost of setting it up
secondly lack of knowledge

finally, i never fear competition as i believe it keeps you on your toes and you will find over the years that your clients/customers will be loyal to you,
if that's not the case then i would not want them as a customer anyway.
Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 05:14:30 pm »
Its still hard work in bad weather.
it may appeal to a few more people.
but if there the sort who can invest in a van and wfp they will be professional, and probly push the price up.
there  the sort we want in this business.
not down and outs who cnt get a proper job so they hav a go at windowcleaning with a borrowed ladder, and a few scrims.

woops thats how i started  ;D ;D ;D

im not worried.
theres plenty of work.

Ha ha ha.  I borrowed my first ladder too.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 06:12:23 pm »
About two years ago a canny lad local to me bought a large window cleaning round and got stuck in.

He was looking to do window cleaning to give him an income while he started his lock-smith business.  He lasted a year and flogged me £1200 worth of WFP gear for £250. 

It must've been only six months old.

Unfortunately I didn't get on with the 50 litre trolley system, so prefer my backpack.

My point is, is that if people jump in at the deep-end, buy a WFP system, then find they don't like window cleaning; there'll be some bargains on E-Bay for those of us who can hack it.

I also picked up loads of his abandoned work too.  I had a great year, last year!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 06:34:38 pm »
I too think you may be suffering from Monday morning blues :'(

You will still need all the trad skills quite regardless of WFP, there are many occasions when you need to do things the traditional way, windows that leak, doorways, inside work and so on.

And it is still physically tiring to do!!

Window cleaning always looks so easy doesn't it?

Us experienced pro's make it look effortless don't we?

But of course it isn't, it is hard work and you have to be self motivated, it is lonely too, you can go hours without talking to anyone.
The winter weather can really get you down.
And of course you also have to get the work in the first place, you don't do that overnight either.
If you don't know what you are doing you can end out working for a pittance. You have to sort out your own tax affairs, you take a day off you lose a days money, there is no holiday pay, no proper sick pay.

It doesn't take much for these things to get you down.

Sigh..............I'm so depressed now :'(

I need a beer....talking of which Tosh??

Ian ;)
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 07:04:52 pm »
I have a saying, I've used for years.................

They come up like the spring bulbs.....................
Then dissapear in the autumn!!!!!!!!!!
Not Perfect - But Honest

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 07:59:59 pm »
that saying is very true ::)seen it for the last 30 years :-X
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.