Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Does CC travel well?
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:31:38 pm »
I know lots of you on here cover large areas,especially the ones living in rural/ non built up areas.

I once read somewhere that most people prefer to use local trademen and 8 miles is the furthest most would look at.

I personally, living north of a big city , rarely work more than 5/6 miles from home and only ever market myself in a small radius.I have always thought I might have a problem in extending into other towns due to having a place name for my business(Bury Carpet Care)

I have noticed lots of Ad words on Google coming from places like Liverpool,South Manchester,Lancashire ect and areas well over 20 miles away from me.

Does CC travel that well.Im sure most would prefer a local cleaner.

Up until now I have been happy with my little area,but if things ever got quiet I'm unsure as to what I would do.

bennymon

Re: Does CC travel well?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:15:02 pm »
I do a lot of work in a town 15 miles away but can get there in 10 mins so its ok  ;)

JandS

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:18:56 pm »
90 mph all the way!!!!!!!!!!.. ;D
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:54:46 pm »
Nothing wrong with travelling as long as its finacially viable. Best way to do it is to try and book jobs in the same area on the same day.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:43 pm »
I don't read it as wayne asking about the logistics and financial aspects of travelling, more the resistance of customers to use a company that is not local to them.

from a personal view i don't like to use a tradesmen that has to travel too far as I think they will charge me more & I would not call a company called Goole carpet cleaners as 'Goole' is 20 miles a way
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:12:28 pm »
I had a job this morning 15 miles away in the fells, 1 room £60, only took 20 mins to get there, but probably used less fuel than sitting in slow moving city traffic for 5 miles.

I had organised a quote a couple of miles from the job for $145,
so to me was worth it.

I regularly work 30 miles from home, being a rural area, nearest city is 16 miles away on the quietest stretch of the M6 in the country, easily there in 20 mins.

I may not be local to some of these areas, I am generally reccomended.

Andrew

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:48:52 pm »
Depends how local people define as local. In a big city say Sheffield I'm sure people from all the surrounding areas would be willing to use a cleaner from any part of Sheffield. I wouldn't restrict my  tradesman from just my local area of Newcastle. Most important criteria would be can they do  a good job. For that I would be looking for a recommendation.

Richard Cole

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:36 am »
I live in a rural area and my nearest towns are 11 miles, 15 miles and 18 miles respectively, my nearest city is Oxford at around 30 miles but I can be in the city center in 45 minutes where i was working yesterday, nice 3 big(ish) rooms in large house £165 and finished by 3 pm, would have been a lot quicker but logistics were a bit of a nightmare taking pipes through 3rd floor window as over 150 feet taking pipes through property.  Also had to work round very old and poorly owner who had no legs and became ill when i was there and went to bed in one of the rooms i had to clean so had to clean carpet whilst he was fast asleep in bed in the same room, weird, but customers were very pleased and kept me in hot coffee and tea. I quite like the drive to longer jobs as it gives me time to let me think and unwind before returning home to two young kids and no peace :)
former carpet cleaner, now retired!