Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AshWhite

Poor excuse
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:11:59 pm »
Took a call at 8.30pm last night to book in a job at 3pm this afternoon to clean a lounge/diner - I was in thearea returning some rugs so it worked out perfectly.

Customer called at 12pm this afternoon to say they'd just had a letter from the hospital with an appointment today at 3pm - so they had to cancel as they wouldn't be there for me to clean the carpets, but "I definately want it done. No, I don't want to book now, I'll call you when I'm ready...".
Now, thankfully I don't have cause to get many doctors or hospital appointments, but I'd be amazed if the NHS were so efficient (or inefficient?) that they arenow sending out letters informing of appointments on the day the letter arrives?

It got the thinking of the poor excuses that people make up to get out of a booking? It doesn't p*ss me off as people who pretend not to be in (or who really do go out) when they've made a booking, but I wonder what's the best excuse you've heard to cancel a booking at last minute?
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Fran84

Re: Poor excuse
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »
Can't really think of the best one.

Normally something to do with kids being ill. They think you'll take sympathy on them :o

wayne zabel

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:26:30 pm »
always the baby's just been rushed into hospital for me,must have had it 10 times in 2 years.

I got a call last night from a guy who booked last Sunday after he'd had a party the night before.

I'm deperate to have it done this week he said but can only do Thursday.

I managed to rearrange my morning diary to be able to do his job.Called last night at 7 to say his wife cant be in and he'd call back today to rearrange..........I await the call.

AshWhite

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:30:33 pm »
Yes, baby in hospital is a sure-fire no questions asked cancellation excuse, I've had my fair share of them. Hospitals must be full of babies with urgent problems and parents with dirty carpets.

andrew stone

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:54:43 pm »
Had a call last year from a lady customer 10 mins. before i was due to arrive that morning.
she said i am at the hospital with my baby.
strangely however her home phone number was displayed on my mobile phone at the exact same time!
i had re arranged another job to suit her!
never heard from her again - luckily.

andrew

garry22

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:08:57 pm »
I know of a couple of people who, following tests, have had calls from hospitals or (normally) GPs to "get in here ASAP".

If something is that urgent it's always a phone call.

Paul Moss

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 06:15:06 pm »
Ash dont get wound up mate, swings and roundsabouts

AshWhite

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »
I'm not getting wound up, it's all part and parcel of dealing with the public - just find it amusing some of the stuff they come up with.

Carpet2Clean

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »
The best one we had was a lady rung up just has i was getting in the van to go round to her house..."Sorry just last my purse"..crying i eyes out....I said not to worry i will book it in next week for you...She did not call back.

This weeks one was sorry can i cancel i have no money due to the kids being off (this was Monday mornings job)

Richard

Steve Gunn

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:30 pm »
Had one cancel saying she had been rushed into hospital "funny I can see you standing at your front window I'm over the road" phone went dead then blinds closed ::)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »
I had one saying it was too much money after agreeing price 2 weeks previous.

Shaun

JandS

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:58:43 pm »
The worst ones are the text message ones like mine
last Saturday morning.
11.30 appointment, text at 9.30 "changed my mind"
Or the ones who aren't even in when you arrive.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Adrian Marsh

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:42:19 pm »
Just to be different I've got one in reverse. I have a customer who's desparate to get his upholstery done next Monday. He's now phoned my answering service four times asking for me to call and book it in. He's booked and cancelled on me three times over the last three weeks and he's not getting the opportunity to do it again. Customer sacked

Paul Moss

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:07:10 pm »
You could always book him in and then cancell him the day before clean  ;) ;D

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 09:14:41 pm »
I had the complete opposite.
A man called and made an appointment for 8am as he was going out etc. It was about 20 miles away in Wallsall.
Got there at 8 and when I rang the bell a lass in her twenties came to the door in her nightdress and said she knew absolutely nothing about it but she had had emergency plumbers at 9 at night and the undertaker at 3 in the morning plus other things.
Someone with a grudge, I felt sorry for her but a wasted morning for me.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »
Alot of people tend to cancle via text message now a days which tells me that what ever excuse they are giving me is a lie and too cowardly to tell me on the phone.

mick doherty

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 12:47:31 am »
so what, next

Garyj

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 02:23:55 am »
Had one cancel saying she had been rushed into hospital "funny I can see you standing at your front window I'm over the road" phone went dead then blinds closed ::)

Well, that would be a bit weird  ;D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 02:37:19 am »
Does anyone take deposits to secure bookings?

I know some guys (now retired) who used to do this.

Allan Simmons

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 09:10:37 pm »
If they cancel at short notice they can only rebook by paying in advance by card when we make the new appointment.  We also ask for prepayment by card on Landlord properties unless we have done several and know them.  Also Moving home package jobs we ask for prepayment.