Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ben Walker

removing metal (?) deposits from glass
« on: December 29, 2005, 07:25:10 pm »
Hi
The glass in a recently built block of flats that i clean has what looks to be metal deposit on the glass. it looks likes the residue left over from normal rain splatter, but it wont budge at all with normal soap and water.
I thought it could be something transfered from the above balconies, like the galvanised metal, but it seams to be on the inside too.
Someting from to manufacture then?

Anyway, any ideas?
Much appreciated
Ben

Re: removing metal (?) deposits from glass
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 07:36:14 pm »
Ben,

Could it be mineral deposits? 

They look a little like rain droplets that have dried onto the window and you can't budge them using routine window cleaning techniques.

I take it you've done the obvious and tried to remove them with a scaper.

In that case, just explain to the customer that their windows are permenantly marked with mineral deposits - a bit like lime-scale in a toilete - (unless you want to use a Mineral Deposit Remover, some 000 grade wire wool and a bit of time) and it's nothing to do with your workmanship.

PS.

I've tried vinegar and a lime-scale remover and both improved a heavily mineral-stained window; but they didn't come up perfect; just better.

dai

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 07:41:30 pm »
Has anyone been working with a cutting disk in the close vicinity?
You can never repair the damage these things do. Dai

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 07:53:01 pm »
Has anyone been working with a cutting disk in the close vicinity?
You can never repair the damage these things do. Dai

Dai,

I thought about this, but if it's flats, I doubt it; unless they're ground floor windows; but Ben's post doesn't suggest this.

Strange about the deposits 'seeming' to be on the inside too.

Ben Walker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 07:56:06 pm »
yeh, cheers tosh
it does seam pretty fixed on.
is 'Mineral Deposit Remover, some 000 grade wire wool and a bit of time' the way then? a case of scrubbing!

Does that completely remove it?

It seams a bit crappy that new glass should have this defect.

Cheers
Ben

then added...
well Dai, its a new build, but it does look like rain droplets dried on as tosh said. and its the same in the different flats.
It looks like it should be removable with the right solvent/acid.

yeh, inside
that why i said thought it might be from manufacturing process. like if water is used to cool the glass or sumot

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 09:13:53 pm »
Ben,

It sounds as if it's a defect in the glass manufacturing process.  If I were  you, I'd just clean the glass as normal.  Remove all the dirt and leave the windows shining; albiet with the defects marring the end product.

If any customer complains, which I doubt they will, then point out that it's some sort of mineral deposit or manufacturing defect and you've done the best you can.

You're paid to clean the windows; not repair them and unless you're paid extra to fix them; don't.  You'll spend a lot of time doing unpaid work and the end result probably won't be of the standard you'd like it to be.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 09:16:15 pm »
yeh, cheers tosh
it does seam pretty fixed on.
is 'Mineral Deposit Remover, some 000 grade wire wool and a bit of time' the way then? a case of scrubbing!

Does that completely remove it?

I've never tried it; just read that this is how it's removed; from this site.

Regards,

Tosh.

Ben Walker

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 09:44:50 pm »
You're paid to clean the windows; not repair them and unless you're paid extra to fix them; don't.  You'll spend a lot of time doing unpaid work and the end result probably won't be of the standard you'd like it to be.
yeh, looking to make it an add-on, charging accordingly for the time it takes. (the bill may well end up with the developer i suppose)
Just wanting to be able to offer to remove it completely if pos.

Do you know where to get that from then Tosh?

Or if anyone's tackled this with anything else?

cheers

twt

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 09:42:45 am »
you wont be able to remove it in a million years if you look carefully you will see the glass has melted around the small piece of metal and then the metal rusts, you cant scrape it off or scrub it out you will only damage the glass. Ive had this loads of times from lazy builders cutting right next to windows.

Ben Walker

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 02:59:27 pm »
cheers Philip, but i don't think in this case its that.

it looks like dried rain droplets/ rain splash. to say it is mineral deposit sounds about right. its something which came in contact with the glass as water and has dried leaving the thin deposit.

petetaylor56

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 05:40:05 pm »
i got something simalar once on a house that had been renovated and it was some kind of sealant they sealed the walls with still hasnt come of to this date
today i be mostly wfp

dai

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 07:29:41 pm »
I have one of those jobs too. They sprayed the brickwork with some kind of silicon water reppellant. Loads of it went on the glass. I found it would come off with a new blade in the scraper, but the time it took to clean an area about 6ins square would have meant an hour on each pane. I took the advice I was given on this forum and left well alone. DAI

Ben Walker

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 08:08:49 pm »
silicon? That would amount to something like getting glass off glass then!?

does it still make sense that it might be silicon if it is on the inside too?

is there not something to dissolve it
(without dissolving the glass   ::) ??? )

perhaps worth me pursueing as i am getting good business in these particular appartments- there are 260 of them!
cheers
ben

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 11:11:21 pm »
i got something simalar once on a house that had been renovated and it was some kind of sealant they sealed the walls with still hasnt come of to this date
spot on with that quote i think, when i worked with a builder i was warned not to get sealer or stableising solution near glass because its imposible to get off both could have been used on the insides and outside.   
Sussex by the sea

lee_dewing

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 09:49:09 am »
hi,
window clean centre sell, MDR & also oil flo both chemicals are useful apply with application white pads they sell.
call and ask them about your problem their very helpful,
  but tosh is right I've undertaken jobs like this and wish I hadn't, always end up under quoting.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Ben Walker

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 03:54:03 pm »
cheers Lee, i'll give em a go
thanks all
appy new beer  :P
Ben