Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steve k

safe alternative...!!
« on: December 24, 2005, 05:03:00 am »
Imagine carting this around  ;D

Paul Coleman

Re: safe alternative...!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:43:43 am »
Imagine carting this around  ;D

Please, don't put ideas into the HSE's head.  They seem to have enough hairbrained, crackpot schemes of their own.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 10:12:15 am »
Shouldn't there be safety chains on the left end to act as a guard rail if the guy on the left takes a step back he'll be on his backside for sure

Iv'e also seen these being used by Window companys when putting in new windows

I wonder how stable they are?

Chris

8)Merry Xmas Everyone 8)

dai

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 06:14:05 pm »
I wouldn't want to be standing on one. You would be putting a hell of a lot of faith in the stength of a rung. Two guys and the weight of the platform.
Rungs are designed to take downward force, the weight from the outside leg of the triangle is pushing sideways. I think it would be a safer platform if they were not using the actual ladder to form a part of the triangle. If they had one more leg, so that the platform itself had a triangular base it would be safer. This would tansfer the sideways force to all the rungs in contact with it.
I'm not a structual engineer, but I think that most of us that have spent years working off ladders, become experts in understanding how forces work. We instintively apply the laws of physics every day. forces and friction being the most important. They keep us alive. Dai

pjulk

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 07:00:27 pm »
Ive seen these being used a few times.

And every time im think it can't be that safe perched on two ladders.

If one ladder was too move a fraction im sure the whole lot would come down.

Paul

steve k

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 08:47:02 pm »
my view entirely...looks horrendous!!

JohnL

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 04:32:13 pm »
years ago you could buy 2 fittings that sat on rungs of 2 ladders then you slung a plank across the 2 to stand on. But they were  made illegal. I wonder how this passes the legal requirements?

I bet there is more going on at the base of the ladder to make it stable - like splayed legs or something

Doesnt look safe tho

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

JM123

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 06:06:13 pm »
They should be pretty stable but not knowing the angle to horizontal and the modulus of rigidity of either the ladder material or the platform material I can't work out the loading capacity of the structure, neither do I know the mass of the 2 men on it.  Yes I am an Engineer and yes, I do prefer window cleaning.  7 years of University for ...........?
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I