Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Chapman

T/M heat exchanger
« on: February 03, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »
To all the technical guys out there

I have a promount 20 t/m and i think the cold weather really got to it last night, there's nice crack down the seam of one the heat exchangers.

Not had it running today yet, but is this something repairable or is it new exchanger time ?

First one I've had any damage in 5 years of owning it so temp must've been real low last night.

Thanks
Steve

Simon Gerrard

Re: T/M heat exchanger
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:49:39 pm »
Hi Steve,
Doesn't sound good. You need to get it going as that is the only way of telling if it is damaged. Cover it in a blanket and get a hair drier blowing into it for a while. Make sure the pump isn't frozen. A good way of avoiding this if you don't have an onboard heating system is to put anti freeze in your water box and put an open ended fitting from the solution outlet back the water box so it reaches the entire system.
Good luck.

Simon

Chris R

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 06:54:13 pm »
I own the pro 20 and have replaced 2 heat exchangers over the last 5 years, both of them in the Summer so nothing to do with freezing!

When you say you can see a crack i assume you mean in the stainless Steel box that houses the heat exchanger coil ?

Make sure it's all defrosted and then kick it in and see what happens.

If it's knackered you will get a load of water coming out of the exhaust.

They cost about £800 each to be repaired by woodbridge, but get a price in writing before you go  ::)

If you are not in a rush they are repairable, radiator repair company ?

It's not an easy job to do yourself, but if you have plumbing skills you should be ok?

Supply of part only is £600 so that why I decided, the second time, to let Woodbridge fit it.

Good luck

Staffordshire

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:07:05 pm »
I recommend a place in Sheffield they repair and pressure test them, www.autorads.co.uk they have a sister company that deals with hx repairs.

Shaun

Paul Moss

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »
Steve, there is now way that the cold could crack the outer stainless steel shell as it is vertually hollow inside except for the coil. Unless you mean the coil is split. A new coil is 600 quid from  the states and a full heat exchanger is 1500 quid. I have a few spares for the promount 20 so call or email once you know whats gone

MAX Carpets

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:32 pm »
Me being Dumb!!

I have a Blazer, when I first start it I leave it running while I set up, once it is warm I open up the hrottle and what seems like water comes out of the exhaust (only briefly) . I always thought this was perhaps condensation, until I read this!!

Would someone put me out of my misery please.

Cheers

Justin

Steve Chapman

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:14:57 pm »
Thanks Simon, Chris & Paul for your advice,

I couldn't get the t/m started today, think the water in the main tank had frozen and the hoses so isn't feeding the machine properly, hopefully tomorrow I'll get it started and put some antifreeze through it,

The only damage I can see is the top front seal of the xchanger is cracked a slightly raised  and exhaust fumes are evident when turning the machine over,

All I know is that it wasn't like that the previous day and it was running fine,

Thanks for the offer Paul, I'll maybe call you once I know what's gone, I'm pretty sure it's something,

Regards
Steve

tony harrison

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 08:25:36 pm »
Max

Normal if its only briefly. worry when it is continuous.

Tony

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:33:52 pm »
Me being Dumb!!

I have a Blazer, when I first start it I leave it running while I set up, once it is warm I open up the hrottle and what seems like water comes out of the exhaust (only briefly) . I always thought this was perhaps condensation, until I read this!!

Would someone put me out of my misery please.

Cheers

Justin

This also happens to cars when the weather is cold. It is the condensation from the engine and exhuast. As long as it is only brief it's perfectly normal.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
If it is only briefly it's probably just moisture in the hx, no problem. If it is a constant flow from a leak, you'll know about it.

Simon

Craigp

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »
I've just had heat exchange sent over by Joe Bristor www.realcleaners.com for about £400 cost here £1400  :o

MAX Carpets

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 07:02:50 am »
As I thought, but thought I'd better double check.

Cheers Guys!

AshWhite

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 12:14:15 pm »
That's a bargain Craig - but be prepared to pay the VAT when it arrives, as well as a 'handling fee' from the carrier (prob approx £25).
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk