Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

neil100

Help.Diy. Plylining me van. Help
« on: November 06, 2005, 12:12:57 pm »
Ok its my first van,and I have decided to plyline it to help protect my investment.

When fixing the 6mm plywood I have bought to the sides of the van, do I use 1/2" self tapping screws or 3/4" ?

Is it agood idea to put some insulation behind the ply to help keep jack frost at bay?

Do I need to drill a small piolt hole in the metal to help the self tapping screws on thier way?

Will 6mm plywood on the side of the van be strong enough to hold pole carriers with poles attached?

I intended to paint the ply with white proteckote when finished to waterproof it and make it look nice ohhhh.

Any advice or tips would be most welcome.

Pegards Nel. ???

matt

Re: Help.Diy. Plylining me van. Help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:24:51 pm »
Ok its my first van,and I have decided to plyline it to help protect my investment.

When fixing the 6mm plywood I have bought to the sides of the van, do I use 1/2" self tapping screws or 3/4" ?

either, just make sure you hit the bars, for the better job, i allways used screw cups ontop of the screws, they give more of a spread

Is it agood idea to put some insulation behind the ply to help keep jack frost at bay?

some would say YES, i never bothered

Do I need to drill a small piolt hole in the metal to help the self tapping screws on thier way?

OH YES, unless you use self-cutting screws, though i still use a small pilot hole, oh and screw them in on a LOW speed if using a cordless

Will 6mm plywood on the side of the van be strong enough to hold pole carriers with poles attached?

fit some 3 X 1 timber behind where your fitting the brackets

I intended to paint the ply with white proteckote when finished to waterproof it and make it look nice ohhhh.

Any advice or tips would be most welcome.

Pegards Nel. ???

replied in RED, ive fitted out 000's of vans when i worked as a carpenter for the council,

neil100

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 12:41:14 pm »
Thanks Matt,

Good advice,I never thought of putting support batons behind the plywood.

Any recomendtions on hooks to hold the poles? Brodex do a triple carrier for £95.00 + vat. sounds a bit pricey to me.

How many screws would you use to fix it to the van? The longest piece of ply is 2.36 meters x 86cm.

Many thanks Nel.

matt

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 04:53:27 pm »
i used to screw the ply every 12" 's this way you know its not going anywhere

as for pole holders inside the van

i am afraid to say i would go for some "downpipe" or 4" soil pipe and that would cost under ALOT less than anything you will buy specially made

Jon T.C.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:37:39 pm »
i used to screw the ply every 12" 's this way you know its not going anywhere

as for pole holders inside the van

i am afraid to say i would go for some "downpipe" or 4" soil pipe and that would cost under ALOT less than anything you will buy specially made

I used downpipe, it's a quater of the cost! I know many others on the forums have as well.
Elite Cleaning Solutions

neil100

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 07:05:07 pm »
You mean fit downpipes to the inside roof of the van?

Nel

matt

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 08:14:19 pm »
or on the inside tot he vans sides :)

very cheap way to do it, ive done it for loads of plumbers when  kitting out vans