Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john sliman

repeat soiling
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:48:58 pm »
does any of you cc ever get asked the question does carpet resoil quicker after cleaning and if so what answer do you give. my own theory is that customers who don't get their carpets cleaned are used to looking at filthy carpets then when they do get them cleaned they are more aware when they do start getting dirty again and arrive at the decision the cleaning has caused them to get dirty.
john   
john sliman

Re: repeat soiling
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:54:03 pm »
Historically it was caused by the unknowledgeable fireman who was knocking out carpet cleaning on his swing shift with a hegarty (puzzi 100) that he hired from the local dry cleaners.....

he would leave the carpet soaked in very soapy water and it would dry with a white ish surface and then the customer would be told to vacuum it when dry.

This soap residue would then attract the dirt like no tomorrow, and hence the carpets would actually get dirty quicker.

I now tell customers this story and the fact that I LM clean without detergent and guarantee that the carpets will not get dirt quickly...............

Soon gets them on side.

robert meldrum

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:57:30 pm »
and that's fairly close to the truth  ;) ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:58 pm »
1. Poor quality cleaning which leaves residues on the fibres.
2. Worn fibres (compared to smooth brand new ones) which hold the dirt more.
3. If you have brand new carpets no one comes into the house without removing shoes. But when they've been cleaned the old habits of wearing outside shoes indoors starts up immiediately.

That's the three I use

Paul Moss

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »
John they will usually resoil if they have not been flushed or extracted correctly and there is a lot of detergent residue left in the carpet which attracts dirt.

Some say leaving the ph high will cause resoiling but im not a believer of that theory.

Let me ask a different question

Do you do a thorough clean so customer of a light use/ traffic carpet calls you back to clean every 2 to 3 years to clean it?

Or do you clean it enough so it looks good when youve finished but will be dirty in 12 months so the customer calls you back to clean it every 12 months ?

wynne jones

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »
Historically it was caused by the unknowledgeable fireman who was knocking out carpet cleaning on his swing shift with a hegarty (puzzi 100) that he hired from the local dry cleaners.....

he would leave the carpet soaked in very soapy water and it would dry with a white ish surface and then the customer would be told to vacuum it when dry.

This soap residue would then attract the dirt like no tomorrow, and hence the carpets would actually get dirty quicker.

I now tell customers this story and the fact that I LM clean without detergent and guarantee that the carpets will not get dirt quickly...............

Soon gets them on side.

Thats funny I tell custies padders take all the poo in your carpet (well, whats on the surface to be more accurate) and spread it around a bit. Soon gets them on side.  ;D
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

cannon

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
Had a great comment from customer today,

"once you have your carpets cleaned there never the same, but i need them doing"

Spent a good 5-10 mins explaining things, got the feeling she thought i was talking crap!

The end result did and will convince her in the end.

john sliman

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »
Paul i like to think i do a thorough clean on all my jobs  as i do get a lot of my work through recommendations so i don't believe in cutting corners but the times i have been asked this question it  has been from customers who have not had their carpets cleaned professionaly before hence the reason for the question.
John
john sliman

peter maybury

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:50:00 pm »
Vanish is one of the worst examples of how a residue will resoil a carpet. people will start out doing the odd stain then within a few months they are using the stuff on a regular basis on the whole carpet. People have all sorts of misconceptions about cleaning but a lot of the time these misconceptions are built on the cowboys and idiots in the industry as people have not had any other experiences.
It is a matter of talking sense, it does take time as experience over time is the only thing that will convince people.

Peter
www.carpetcleaningnewport.com

Paul Moss

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:54 pm »
John, the question was not directed at you or how you clean, I just thought I would open the debate up with a different view on things.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:31 pm »
Paul is correct, I was told by Richard Suddall of Chemspec that ph has never been a contributor in rapid resoiling.

One of the reasons I think carpets re soil is because customers treat their carpet in the same way as they did the day before they were cleaned, when a carpet is laid from new everyone takes their shoes off or avoids walking on it where as after cleaning I wonder (often know) if that because it's not a new carpet that they can still walk in with shoes on or a cuppa in hand etc, it could be a mental state of mind.

Shaun

Jim_77

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:24:46 pm »
1. Poor quality cleaning which leaves residues on the fibres.
2. Worn fibres (compared to smooth brand new ones) which hold the dirt more.
3. If you have brand new carpets no one comes into the house without removing shoes. But when they've been cleaned the old habits of wearing outside shoes indoors starts up immiediately.

Spot on!

john sliman

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:28 pm »
Paul sorry my reply might have been worded wrongly as i didn't think for a minute you were having a dig at me.
john sliman

Paul Moss

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:27:00 am »
John no probs mate  ;)

Its strange and it happens to me quite alot, you know in your head what you want to say and then type it out and some times it reads a lot different.

All the Best Paul

mark joyce

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 12:08:41 pm »
shampoo attracts dirt and does not clean dirt the flushing and rinsing is the most important part ,
  this is easily explained to customers by using a hair theory "if you wash you hair and do not remove the shampoo you hair gets greasy very quickly, if you rinse properly it stays clean for a longer time,
    I did a job once where some liquid soap was spilt across a landing the soap line was filthy while the rest of the landing was just normal soiling 

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 12:53:41 pm »
does any of you cc ever get asked the question does carpet resoil quicker after cleaning and if so what answer do you give. my own theory is that customers who don't get their carpets cleaned are used to looking at filthy carpets then when they do get them cleaned they are more aware when they do start getting dirty again and arrive at the decision the cleaning has caused them to get dirty.
john   

...and I thought I was the only one who used this explanation :)

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:00:43 pm »
here is an interesting article about soil, its not directly related to this topic but i find know the knowledge of what soil consists of allows a more expert and believable explanation of why carpets get dirty.

http://www.cleanfax.com/carpet-cleaning/article/whats-in-your-dirt
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk