Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Moderator David@stives

Paul Coleman

Re: something to read
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 02:23:46 pm »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18391-1594815,00.html

I had to chuckle at the bit where it says that the height limit is 300 ft except in NY where it is 75 ft.  I was just wondering what difference it's supposed to make.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 06:29:23 pm »
I put that link on one of the other forums...

good though ain't it
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 06:41:29 pm »
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/print/0,17071,463755,00.html

Here's an addition to the first artical

A sample content I don't think they have heard about our Turbo Terry?

Great Moments in Squeegee History

ORIGINS
The squeegee goes back to the Middle Ages, when fishermen scraped fish guts off boat decks with wooden swabs called "squilgees." It wasn't until the turn of the 20th century that window washers adopted a rubber-bladed version of the tool.

THE MODERN SQUEEGEE
The Chicago squeegee, a heavy brute with two stiff pink rubber blades, was the state of the art until 1936, when Italian immigrant Ettore Steccone invented a light, brass- handled tool with a single, ultra-flexible blade. The "Ettore," still manufactured by the late Steccone's Oakland, California–based company, remains a favorite among professionals.

LIFESAVING TOOL
Window washer Jan Demczur used an Ettore squeegee to free himself and five others from an elevator shaft in the World Trade Center during the September 11 attacks. The blade was lost, but Demczur's squeegee handle is now enshrined at the Smithsonian.

THE FASTEST SQUEEGEE IN THE WEST
At the 2002 conference of the International Window Cleaning Association, in Reno, Nevada, Richard Moreau of France took first place in the speed-cleaning contest, using his 12-inch squeegee to wipe down three 45-inch-square windows in 15.76 seconds
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Solo Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 09:36:55 pm »
THE MODERN SQUEEGEE
The Chicago squeegee, a heavy brute with two stiff pink rubber blades, was the state of the art until 1936, when Italian immigrant Ettore Steccone invented a light, brass- handled tool with a single, ultra-flexible blade. The "Ettore," still manufactured by the late Steccone's Oakland, California–based company, remains a favorite among professionals.

Can someone confirm a story i once read about the modern squeegee?

When Mr Ettore tried to introduce it to the UK  it was not at first accepted. So he took it upon himself to drive round London see a w/c jump out clean a window with the blade and just drive off. This caused quite a mystery with the local window cleaners being especially amazed at the speed he was cleaning the windows. It was only after this that the squeegee became popular here.

I think I once read this story in the Feds mag about 12 yrs ago.

Can anyone confim this

Thanks Lee