Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AshWhite

Life of a TM?
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:00:27 pm »
Provided a truckmount is relatively well maintained, what sort of lifetime would it have?
In particular, a Hydramaster TM. I appreciate it's a "how long is a piece of string?" question, but purely as a guideline. Is 3000 hours nearing the end of its life?

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Ash
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

nevil

Re: Life of a TM?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »
Good question. I don't know if it's always clear cut. It may be that there doesn't come a time when it's black and white that a machine is finished. Unless you let it freeze or catch fire. Things go wrong one thing at a time and as this happens the owner will weigh up whether to fix them or make a change. 

I have two old ones. Both could be viewed as being towards the end of their lives when I got them. The HM 4.0 was sold to me for spares or repairs with around 5000 hours on the clock. It did get a new engine when I got it but I have been using it for the last two years or so with probably another 15 or so hours a week ( hour meter removed ) and it never ever misses a beat. Super reliable.

The 450 maxx diesel has just gone in the van about a month ago. It has 7000 hours on the clock but I am led to believe that the first owner who did the vast majority of the hours maintained it very well. It has yet to prove it will be as reliable as the 4.0 but we will see. It's made a good start.

Because I don't have 20k for a new machine I choose to have a spare machine on a trolley in my unit ready to be installed should the one in the van develop a fault. But I still think the key to all is maintaining them Regular oil change/ grease.

Len Gribble

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:41:11 pm »
Don’t know about HM but if memories serves me right some bloke up north has a Prochem 75 and is a bit hazy about time thinks it 150,000 hours not bad for a 30 year old plus machine which still kicks out 500-600psi on the downside totally peeved one of my internal hoses went the other week and don’t talk about access to it took me an hour and only 15min to put back. Trigger 20years look after your broom and get a medal

Think it’s down too TAX advantage
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

derek west

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »
i don't quite understand the question.

triggers broom lasted 20 years.

before what? the engine goes? the blower goes? the pump goes? as long as you keep replacing the parts that forcup it will last forever.

derek west

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:07:31 pm »
its okay, ive worked it out.

before the hour meter breaks.

AshWhite

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:12:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far guys, derek your reply makes sense, but the same could also be said about a car - but I wouldn't buy a car with 300,000 miles on the clock! I suppose I'm asking about the lifespan of the major components, as well as a rough cost to replace them?
Thanks again,
Ashley
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

from edge2edge

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:26:09 pm »
AShley mine has nearly 6000 hrs on it and still kicks rrrrrrrs.Regards Alan(swindon)

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:49 pm »
What the most expensive part on a truckmount? The blower?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:15:23 pm »
the blower is the most expensive but also the most durable, its very rare the blower will need replacing.

the engine is the most expensive, expendable part( maybe the HX is on parr with it)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

wynne jones

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:28:41 pm »
I think the more modern machines may actually get scrapped sooner in the long run. It's like they make them with more things to go wrong so you have to keep going back until they sell you a new one (which has even more bells and whistles to go wrong) .
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

murky

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:13:29 pm »
Yep, look at those Thermal Blue Waves or whatever!

What happens when they go wrong, its a plumbers nightmare in there. They might kick but what will it do to your wallet when they go wrong.

KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Steve_Knight

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 08:01:31 am »
The Maxx that Neville now owns was mine previously.
I owned it for 5 years and put over 6000 hours on it and yes it was maintained to the highest standard as all my machines are.
My latest machine,a Titan 575 is just over 12 months with just under 1100 hours on her.

If you look after them they will last years.

Cheers

wynne jones

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:27:34 pm »
Always handy to have a spare though. :)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Steve_Knight

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 07:13:37 am »
Wynne
Yes they do come in handy at times! :D