Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Matt Gibson

Sloping Driveway Runoff??
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »
Hi guys,

Anyone got any tips on controlling the runoff on a driveway that slopes down into the garage? i know they all have trough drains running in front of the garage, but is there any tips or tricks to prevent it overflowing or the water getting into the garage? Havent had a problem yet, but im getting more and more jobs sloped like this.. and i get abit worried sometimes with the flow of water.

Cheers

Matt

thewaterwizard

Re: Sloping Driveway Runoff??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:58:32 pm »
hi matt
Ive done lots of jobs like this and never had a problem just keep the gully cleaned
 out put some fine mesh in the gully to stop the slurry blocking the drain
if you are still worried open up the door soak some sheets and lay them along
the gully  we do this on steep drives sloping towards roads to divert flow
back to kerb less cleaning up that way

robin
robin

jaespray

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:06:25 pm »
hi matt   i use depending on how water tight my water barriers/diverters to be   tarmacers screed bars (not a tight fit but a good diverter)   a lenght of high pressure hose  (not a water tight fit but good for sending run of round corners)   and for a water tight fit i use (simming pool cover water tubes)
regards john

Griffus

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:20:53 pm »
1)    Dam the garage off as best as possible. I use several heavy duty tarp's weighted down along the full width of the internal threshold.

2)    Assuming there is an Aco Channel then keep this free from crap, if the aco has a drain then cover this with some fine mesh like mentioned earlier.

3)    When the water gets to a certain depth then I scoop up with a large plastic shovel into large buckets and tip away elsewhere (just the water).

4)    Keep checking the Aco.

Keep repeating 3 and 4 until job done.

The crud is bagged up when as dry as poss and taken from the job, unless the custy has a suitable and agreed place to spread.

Matt Gibson

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:57:18 pm »
and for a water tight fit i use (swimming pool cover water tubes)

Jaespray, how do you find these? do they work well?

Cheers guys, some good tips. I havent had any dramas yet (touch wood) but i like to be prepared.

jaespray

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:52 pm »
hi mat  i find all those thing in the back of my van
in a past life i used to be into landscape&civil engineering   we used sceed bars for road tarmac rubber tarmac & paving laying (tool and plant hire company or greenhams or arco)    the swimming pool cover water tubes can be obtained from a swimming pool maintenance shop/company  the high pressure hose   well you should have that     
i find they work to different degees of efficincy to what the job requires
regards john

drive surgeon

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:22:02 am »
just explain everything to customer so they know the situation. never had a problem. the only problem would be if the grid or gulley was already blocked. ask the customer does it take all the rian water ok etc. clear the grid everrtyime you see it filling up so you dont have a build up of water. good luck.  :)

Ged

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »
Get some old sheets and roll them into long sausage shapes. When wet they stick to the blocks and make an excellent seal like robin said, then you can use these to direct the water where you want to by placing them across the drive in front of the garage. Usually soak aways will not deal with 16litres / minute and will get silted up so  so direct the water either to a flower bed or lawn assuming you are not using chemicals and with the agreement of the customer, the mud and sand will be trapped by the sheets to be collected later,  if this not possible I use a wet vac and direct the run off to this. It is also possible to use a bucket as a sump and pump the water away using a dirty water pump and hose. This of course depends on the terrain and site conditions. A lot of the water will of course soak into the blocks as you make your way down the drive. I assume you will start at the top.
Regards

Ged