Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

poles apart

construction industry tax exemption
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:31:17 pm »
Hi all
Has anyone had any recent experience of working for a construction company and getting docked 30% from the invoice unless you have an exemption certificate. I recently cleaned some windows on a new block of flats. It wasn't a builders clean as the flats were recently occupied as phase 1 of the construction. Now they want to take 30% off me. :'( I argued that since the flats are occupied this clean was regular maintenance and therefore not subject to these conditions. I'm still awaiting a reply, and a cheque! Funny how they neglected to mention this when they were desperate for someone to clean their windows a.s.a.p.
Rod

Mike_G

Re: construction industry tax exemption
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:33:38 pm »
If you do any more for them, make sure you add on at least 50%

poles apart

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:38:11 pm »
If, and it's a big if, I do any more work for them it'll be 100%!

Jake

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:51:28 pm »
poles apart

If the construction company deem that cleaning windows at that stage, is still part of their construction process, it can be hard to persuade them otherwise. If you are going to work again for a builder, then get yourself a CIS card, the inland revenue make it very easy to get one. As for 30% being taken, ask the taxman for advice?

Jake
Exeter, Devon

poles apart

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:59:13 pm »
Jake

Yes it looks like i'll need to get a card if I do any more work for them, but I may just pass it on as I don't need the hassle!
Thanks
Rod

Rob_Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 09:08:10 pm »
I did some work _ Jet washing for a construction company. They wanted 18 percent.

They paid me the total on the invoice after I told them I pay my own tax.

Rob ;D

RAHomeServices

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 09:44:07 pm »
Hi all
Has anyone had any recent experience of working for a construction company and getting docked 30% from the invoice unless you have an exemption certificate. I recently cleaned some windows on a new block of flats. It wasn't a builders clean as the flats were recently occupied as phase 1 of the construction. Now they want to take 30% off me. :'( I argued that since the flats are occupied this clean was regular maintenance and therefore not subject to these conditions. I'm still awaiting a reply, and a cheque! Funny how they neglected to mention this when they were desperate for someone to clean their windows a.s.a.p.
Rod
[We are holders of CIS (4) and to our knowledge only 18% may be deducted. Also cleaning of external windows is not covered under CIS regulations. Internal ones are though if the property is not occupied by owners.- RAHomeservices]

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:20:09 pm »
Well I haven't got the written reference to hand, but I am sure that you should not be deducted by these rediculous percentages unless you are part of the construction industry.  Which, as a window cleaner you are not, so no exemption 715 certificate is required by you.  If they cannot produce written proof of regulations pertaining specifically to post-build cleaning, after which, Build Regulations are lifted, then they are making their own rules.  So as has been said, make your own prices.  Add- accordingly to your prices.
Unfortunately, closing the door after the horse has bolted, I fear.

Pj

Solo Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 10:28:40 pm »
I used to do Initial cleans for Ideal homes some years ago. As I did not have a subcontractors exemption certificate they used to deduct basic tax rate at source.

At the end of the year you should receive an SC60 showing the amount of tax paid by the building company on your behalf. If you submit this with your yax return the amount is deducted from your tax bill.

I just saw it as a convinient way of saving for my tax each year.

Lee

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 10:35:06 pm »
I've always told building site foremen etc that I am exempt, because I'm not part of building construction Industry.
Accountant, and Taxman have okayed that for years.

Pj

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 11:24:46 pm »
Hi

We do a lot of work for a huge building company local to the SE.

To start with we had all that 'not tax exempt' problems but after a few weeks the companies accountants ok'd full payment for exactly the same reasons posted by The Cleaner Service above.

We're not builders or anything construction and are a separate business requested to work for cosmetic purposes only.

Cheers

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 11:54:36 pm »
Hi

We do a lot of work for a huge building company local to the SE.

To start with we had all that 'not tax exempt' problems but after a few weeks the companies accountants ok'd full payment for exactly the same reasons posted by The Cleaner Service above.

We're not builders or anything construction and are a separate business requested to work for cosmetic purposes only.

Cheers

Respect, Ross.

It's true.  They are well out of order.  Give it to me in print on 'regs'.  Or take your uniform offf! cos it don't fit!
Pj

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 11:22:29 pm »
Hi the Cleaner Service

Give it to me in print on 'regs'.  Or take your uniform offf! cos it don't fit!

Sorry mate, I don't understand what you mean?

Cheers

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 04:46:33 pm »
Hi Ross,

Not always easy looking back on my own posts.  Don't always remember what I meant either ;D
But I do here:  I was refering to these blokes on building sites etc. who try to enforce these rules at times..Rules they don't even fully know themselves.
Trying to impose unnecessary taxes on us.  Some of them wish they were in uniform, I think.  Hence my"They are well out of order.  Give it to me in print.  Show me the regulations that say I, a windowcleaner should have to comply, or take your uniform off!  Cos it don't fit!"  Clearer, I hope 8)

Pj

rosskesava

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 07:21:14 pm »
Cheers Pj

Thanks for that.

I sometime think that there is a hidden rule requiring every building building site to have a jobs worth.

Richie Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 07:31:43 pm »
Hi,
We had a similar problem sometime ago. I got my accountant involved, and there was some tooing and frowing. The bottom line for us was: that as the work that we did for building companies constituted only a small  percentage of our turnover (this was a single figure percentage), then we were exempt as such. We didn't appear to need an exemption certificate. Since then we have had no problems, and the other building companies that we have worked for have all been aware and have presented us with no problems either. Full invoice costs received everytime!
Richie.
Creighton & Shaw Ltd
Commercial Window Cleaning