Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Grease marks on Faux suede sofa
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:26:24 pm »
Cleaned a minging Faux Suede sofa today.Got loads of dirt and marks out of if but at the end I was dissapointed that there were still a few blemishes that just wouldn't come out.

I am presuming that they were grease marks as the family had a toddler who had been climbing all over the sofa.I tried various spotters but they wouldn't budge.

I understand that solvents shouldn't be used on faux Suede as it can delaminate,does anyone have advise about getting this sort of thing out.

thanks

wayne

Steve Chapman

Re: Grease marks on Faux suede sofa
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »
i would possibly use some methylated spirit on a cloth and gently wipe over. Meths evaporates fast so shouldnt cause a problem, but do the normal rinse after

steve

derek west

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:04:50 pm »
citra boost 1 to 5, spray on and extract off. thats what i'd use.

test first though as always

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:22:47 pm »
Did it shrivel up like a prune?
I did one, wow I nearlly died, but the guy said this happened last time, but it goes back to normal

Linds Russell

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:46:06 am »
Here is advice from the March Chemspec newsletter specifically for faux suede.

Fake suede made with solvent based adhesive, often referred to as Alcantara, can normally be wet cleaned; even put in a washing machine (at low temperature) in the case of removable fabrics. If this were tried where water based adhesives were used, the item would probably come out clean but might be completely bald.
Clearly, pre-testing in an inconspicuous area is essential, wet and rub a small area with water and another with solvent and, hopefully, only one application will remove the flocking and create a small bald spot showing very clearly the type of adhesive used. At this stage, make an assessment of the nature of the soiling to determine how deep the cleaning really needs to be.

Those materials made with water based adhesive are best ‘dry’ cleaned with solvent based Dry Fabric Cleaner and Heavy Duty Soil Lifter (undiluted) for spots, stains and heavy soiling.

Where Solvent based adhesive was used, wet cleaning is the right approach and Fast Drying Upholstery Shampoo can produce excellent results where the soiling is light. Heavier soiling will benefit from the use of Pre-Kleen Enzyme Soil Lifter as a pre-spray followed by conventional wet extraction, but only at a low temperature. Where considered really necessary, a light spray of Heavy Duty Soil Lifter, diluted with 2 parts water can be applied but must be quickly extracted. As always pre-test.

This is how I do it with fantastic results. I hope this helps!
Linds

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 04:27:03 pm »
Hi Guys

It is worth bearing in mind that water based adhesives are not usually water soluble once they have dried and some will be almost completely water resistant but not necessarily solvent resistant.

In practice with Faux Sued look for evidence of delamination, i.e bubbles. If this is the case proceed with caution and prequalify with the customer.

If no delamination the fabric can be cleaned with water based products and solvents can be used but very sparingly as spot cleaners. Always test in an inconspicuos area.

I would spray with pureclean and use a microfibre cloth to work in prespray and then extract warm rather than very hot.

Cheers

Doug

greencleaning

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 03:01:28 am »
Pour 2 to 3 tbsp. of cornstarch onto the grease stain. Gently pat the cornstarch into the suede fabric. Allow the cornstarch to remain on the couch overnight. The cornstarch pulls and absorbs the grease from the suede material.Brush the cornstarch from the suede couch the next morning with a soft-bristle brush. Apply additional cornstarch if the grease stain remains