Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Griffus

Children's Paint on Wool
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:25:20 pm »
I have an EOT job lined up this week where several carpets are literally coated in children's paint.

Unfortunately all carpets are wool.

I have replicated the paint spills as best I can on a wool offcut that I use for testing and tried several approaches to remove.

I have tried the prochem approach (as per their advice) and whilst 90% of the paint has gone the pile has become fuzzy and the area covered by the paint is still stained, just much lighter. Result is therefore totally unnacceptable.

I have also tried meth's as recommended on one of the forums. Results pretty much the same as with Prochem.

I am about to call the customer and discuss this with them. I intend to advise replacement carpets purchased.

Before I do this is there anything else I can try as it's a well paying job right on our doorstep and it will grieve me to walk away?

Thanks in advance

p.s. I carry nitromorse equivalent for external use and would never have dreamed of using this on the carpets, but reading on another forum it seems a few would give it a go (nothing to lose time). Would this not just definitely trash the carpet?

derek west

Re: Children's Paint on Wool
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »
what sort of paint ian?

Griffus

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:22:41 pm »
Hi Derek

It's childrens paint. The powdered type that you wet your brush and dip etc.

To be honest I've never seen anything quite so bad, splashes and spills all over the place.

Just going to try nitromorse on my replicate although not holding out too much hope............

clinton

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:40:17 pm »
Would have thought with it being childerens paint its waterbased so will wash out.

Griffus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:52:54 pm »
Would have thought with it being childerens paint its waterbased so will wash out.

Same as I thought Clinton, but unfortunately not.

Haven't used exact same paint, all sorts over the custy's. I have used some of my daughters paint on wool and so far not so good. Added complication is that my replicate has only had paint on for a few days, the custy's is months if not years...............

markpowell

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 05:26:20 pm »
Water based paint is generally harder to remove from wool than oil based paint,
I would walk its likely to be permanent
Mark

Griffus

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 06:22:11 pm »
Water based paint is generally harder to remove from wool than oil based paint,
I would walk its likely to be permanent
Mark

Hi Mark, unfortunately I think you're spot on as I've tried a few other things and nowhere near 100% shifting. If anything my earlier attempts yielded better results, but not good enough by half.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »

Oh if only...
Some years back I had a similar prob with wool carpet and Early learning Centre red paint. Now you would have thought being Early Learning Centre with products aimed at pre school kids and knowing a fair amount of it would end up on furnishings that it would be cleanable? Ummmm No.
Tried everything from super safe M/S right through to things I won't mention on here, (This was a customer who could afford to pay me by the minute so i had plenty of time to deal with it). End result still a slight redy/pink tinge.

peter maybury

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:27:25 pm »
Things used for stain removal are very specific - paint strippers are used for oil based (gloss and varnishes). Meths for emulsion paints. Childs paints are totally different the colourings having to be safe if swallowed, this being the case are probably similar to food quality dyes. The majority will be removed by extraction but the colouring will need to be bleached out.
With it being an end on tenancy probably not economically viable but on a good carpet that somebody wants to save, it would be quite an easy exercise.
Peter