Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

poleman

Your views for the future of our industry
« on: September 27, 2005, 08:36:35 pm »
For those that don’t know there is going to be a meeting on Friday between 30+ window cleaners and for those that can not get time of work to attend. 

This would be a good opportunity to give your views.

All views are welcome from every window cleaner.

Your views on this post will go some way in the 30 + that are attending, to make a collective decision.

What you would like to see happen? Because there are some very important decisions to be made on the day.

1.Do you think the Federation is starting to move forward?

2.Do you think co-ordinated pressure group help to move the Fed forward?

3.Should there be a trade association specifically for the WFP?

4.Should there be an entirely new trade association?

5.what would it take for you to join a new trade association? 

This could be the change that many of us have talked about, it is down to us window cleaners what we wont, CHANGE or THE SAME, if something was to be started up it would have to be credible and has to be Independent and would be 100% totally for window cleaners. WHATS YOUR VIEW?

Andy 

Re: Your views for the future of our industry
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 08:50:32 pm »
Well I'll start.
In 18 years I have never bothered even joining!
Is that me being apathetic or is it mates of mine who have got nothing more than a sticker for their van!
For what it's worth if things could be changed/improved from within the fed, that would be best wouldn't it?
That way it remains a well established thing that has moved with the times, and can still boast of it's established beginnings.
So there you go.  Not much but it's a start.
Pj

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 08:56:43 pm »
I think the fed is old fashioned and stuck in there ways.they sell squeegies and stuff ,but not one single item for wfp.
so is that moving with the times  ?????

williamx

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 09:36:54 pm »
I was going to the meeting but I have been called to court to give evidence on the scumbags who broke into my house last year and nearly ruined me.

I will answer your questions in what I think would be a positive way forward for the Window Cleaning Industry, both the suppliers and the cleaners.

1. Do you think the Federation is starting to move forward?

I think that there are a couple on the committee who want the federation to be more pro-active and to move into the 21st century, but I feel that they are going to be out voted at every opportunity, and by the time they do get control from the old die hards it will be to late for the vast majority of window cleaners.

2. Do you think co-ordinated pressure group help to move the Fed forward?

No.  The federation will take no notice of anyone.

3. Should there be a trade association specifically for the WFP?

Ideally there should be a group that represents the who group of window cleaners, but I do feel that the WFP method should be sold to the Public and Businesses more.   

4. Should there be an entirely new trade association? 

Yes 

5. what would it take for you to join a new trade association?   

First I would to see what the new association will do for its members, I would like it to have a web site that anyone can access, to find a window cleaner in their area.  I would it to arrange discounts with the insurance companies for the likes of car-van-home-equipment-public and employees liability.

But mostly I would want it to market itself, to get everyone to know that it exsists and were to find it.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 09:56:56 pm »
First I would to see what the new association will do for its members, ....

Reminds me of Kennedy's famous speech:-

Kennedy
(raising forefinger above head and emphatically wagging it)
"Ask not what America can do for you, ask what youcan do for America!"

Heckler at back
"I like to start small; I'm asking what I can do for one American family - mine!"

And therein lies the rub - this is what it all comes down to for many people. So - what does the Fed do for you? What would a new association do for you?

Does/would either help it's members to:-

Gain new business?
Obtain cheaper insurances and consumables?
Help change legislation for the better?
Test and report on (and encourage suppliers to offer) new innovative products?

It's a game of three halves!

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 10:19:19 pm »
Untill I started using this forum I'd never heard of the 'Fed' which to me says it all considering we'd been window cleaning for 4 years with our details in the Yellow Pages and the Thomson Local.

I knew nothing about them until the name 'The Fed' cropped up on here and in the main, my knowledge comes from this forum and it does seem to be more negative than positive. Well in fact it's all been negative especially Phillip Hanson's not allowed request to see the books.

I tried to find the 'Fed' using a search engine on the net and couldn't find their website address untill a member on CUI posted it for me. That fact I couldn't find them easily and quickly does not inspire me as to them really being interested in me joining or promoting the industry.

Having looked at their website - I'll think I'll pass as I can't see what's in it for me after I part with my dosh. Apart from that, what a useless website anyway.

Even the name ... The Federation of Master Window Cleaners... shortened to the 'Fed'?

A Master Window Cleaner? Dream on. It's like either some archaic term or something out of a film......   Can you feel the Force Luke ... Within you ... Guiding you.... Do not give in to the Dark side ....

Anyway, that is purely my opinion and impression from the information I have about them which could be wrong.

As for a new or different association, maybe. What would it take for me to join, something that would be of benifit to me and something that 'grabs' me as worthwhile.

As for joining an updated or more modern appearing Federation - probably not.

And a WFP association. Nope. I think it needs to encompass all aspects of window cleaning. The us and them crops up on here often enough and I think sharing and understanding all aspects of w/c'ing helps everyone.

Also, we use both wfp and traditional methods. So where do we stand?

As for the meeting, I'd love to go but like so many other window cleaners it is simply not possible.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 10:26:44 pm »
I, personally, would like to be left alone to clean windows in what ever method I choose.  Even if that meant using the top of my head to shine the window!  As long as I/we leave clean windows, who cares?

Employing people is a different matter.  No-one should be risking their lives, just so someone can make a 'quick buck'.  Obviously employees should be protected from their employers and themselves. 

But for the sole-trader (or partnership), we can make our own decisions!

matt

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 10:41:49 pm »

But for the sole-trader (or partnership), we can make our own decisions!

well said Tosh

matt

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 10:46:28 pm »
I will reply in RED

1.Do you think the Federation is starting to move forward?

Nope, still in the past, will allways be in the past, as they dont need to change

2.Do you think co-ordinated pressure group help to move the Fed forward?

Nope, they will just do as they choose, its jobs for the boys, didnt 1 get voted off, but then came back when Turbo left, a complete joke, once again, jobs for the boys, you got to be in the gang it seems

3.Should there be a trade association specifically for the WFP?

YES, come on Craig, set it up, i dont care if your ionics sponser it, as long as its equal to all members, and i mean whatever system you use

4.Should there be an entirely new trade association?

See above

5.what would it take for you to join a new trade association? 

promoting WFP usage, a tender list that we all stand a chance of winning them, not just the "gang"

I am still hopeing to get to the meeting, i doublt i will be that welcome, but hey, thats life, still got to sort out some1 to mind my daughter for a few hours

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 10:51:14 pm »
Sorry I won't be going.
I wish I had a sticker for my van that says I'm a master window cleaner, but a lot of my clients know I've been cleaning their windows for 18 years,.  So I may be a master :D Or even a Mister :D

Sadly I chose to watch Bob Dylan on BBC2 tonight.  He makes more sense to me, even still!!  Write on Dylan.
Just waiting for the further report on windowcleaning on Newsnight, any second now

Pj