Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Never come across this before???
« on: September 15, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »
Did a quote today in a big 5 bed house,carpets immaculate - didnt need vaccing never mind cleaning.

They were 100% wool,woven backing but at each corner of all the rooms the carpets had small slits in them which were about 3 inches long and enabled the carpet to be lifted slightly.What I have never seen before was that these carpets were stuck to the underlay and the underlay lifted too,the underlay was really thick black stuff about 8mm.Everywhere else the carpets seemed well fixed.Why would you stick the carpet to the underlay?

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before and can anyone see any problems?

As I said they were immaculate and would only need a slight clean as you couldn't get them any cleaner than they are now.I spoke to the owners daughter who said that her dad had had the whole house decorated and wanted the carpets cleaned ro finish everything off.

wynne jones

Re: Never come across this before???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:31 pm »
A lot of fitters spray adhesive onto underlay these days. An old boy I know who used to be a fitter reckons most fitters are pooe these days, but then he reckons everythings pooe, even Big Brother so what does he know.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

clinton

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »
Just be carefull wayne as these are the so called easy jobs that might come back to you lol

wynne jones

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:19:11 pm »
This is where having a rare vacuum comes in, or rather the latest in carpet cleaning technology. ;D

n.s.mcdonald

wayne zabel

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:27:10 pm »
Just be carefull wayne as these are the so called easy jobs that might come back to you lol

I dont know if Ive got the job yet,as with all the quotes I'm doing at the moment they want them doing for next to nothing

I sometimes feel like saying *would you want me to do the job for nowt*

I had a women contact me yesterday saying she was unhappy with her last cleaners and wanted a good job doing - when I gavre her my price she quibbled saying I was £5 to dear,I felt like telling her to get the last guy back.

Rant over

wynne jones

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:15 pm »
If you left a price with the daughter I wouldn't hold your breath. If you said you would give them a call now you've seen it you're in with a fighting chance. ;)

psb

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:34:32 pm »
the underlay is duralay which is stuck to the floor using a takyfier glue the carpet is then stuck to the
underlay using f3 glue unlike carpet on grpper it will never need stretching nomaly used in hotels offices
duralay recomend low moisture cleaning as to much moisture can cause carpet to delaminate from underlay leaving ripples hope this helps
regards
pat

wayne zabel

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 08:48:28 pm »
Wont bother with this one then,only have HWE and dont want to ruin these,funny that the daughter asked several times about my insurance

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:47 pm »
Wayne

You have been doing all the aggro jobs lately, it seems - and now you want to walk away from what sounds like a lovely job.

If the carpet is stuck to the underlay then it is dimensionally stable, in other words the chances of you shrinking it are slim.

It is most likely a bonded wilton, which has been double-stuck rather than fitted on gripper, as they dont stretch easily.

I've suggested before mate that you need to attend more courses, you can't learn everything from forums.

I'm not trying to be over critical Wayne, but having met your Brother, If you are anything like him then I would like to see you do well in this game.

markpowell

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 09:14:49 pm »
Wayne, just HWE as you normally would, keep the temp down and avoid using solvents. You will have no problems.
Mark

wayne zabel

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:19:55 pm »
Steve the poster before you stated that the underlay manufacturers recommend Low moisture cleaning as the carpet can delaminate from the underlay if using HWE cleaning,that is why I wrote that I will leave this alone.I dont have a LM system yet.

Is there a chance it will delaminate if wet cleaned and if so wouldn't it be wise to leave this job?

clinton

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:32:17 pm »
You would be looking at not a fortune to get into lm cleaning wayne and its also good to have it on your vehicle for some jobs mate..

wayne zabel

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:47:21 pm »
I agree with you Clinton but at the moment after a great first 5/6 weeks fulltime CC I seem to have hit a brick wall and things have dried up.Any cash will have to be spent on marketing for a few months I think.

wynne jones

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »
I would be worried if someone asked me about insuarnce ONCE! :o

If you HWE it and the are out to get new you would be sunk. So I would walk.

However I think on similar occasions you would do well to get a rotary off ebay and pad the bugger.

As you get more experience you will get better jobs and be able to capitalise on them. As Clint would say you got to know your limitations, just push the comfort zone a bit at a time.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:52:21 am »
Steve the poster before you stated that the underlay manufacturers recommend Low moisture cleaning as the carpet can delaminate from the underlay if using HWE cleaning,that is why I wrote that I will leave this alone.I dont have a LM system yet.

Is there a chance it will delaminate if wet cleaned and if so wouldn't it be wise to leave this job?

So if you're worried Wayne and as you say, the carpets are clean, then use microsplitters and a cold water rinse with plenty of dry passes. You would have to be soaking the carpet to get moisture through to the adhesive.

Large expanses of commercial carpets will be double-stuck because you cant stretch them effectively without a power stretcher. I would imagine most of the carpets on the cruise ships that Simon cleans will be double-stuck.

Joe H

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:52 am »
Wayne.

If you HWE then I suggest as its a clean carpet buy some M-Power or Nemesis, and as Steve suggested, dont over wet - if its clean you only need to lightly spray anyway. Do some brush agitation to make them know you working for your money, And then suck.

Re the LM
If you bought a 2nd hand machine, one good job pays for it, and you have it then for more jobs.
And then as you marketing you have a choice of machines to use so you double your scope.
Makes business sense.

wayne zabel

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:50 pm »
Been offered this job today and I'm going to do it using Steves advise of M/S and cold water extraction.

Thanks for all the help