Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

joe-butler

how many witnesses?
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:39:50 am »
alot of window cleaners in my area are Jehovahs Witnesses as am I is this a contry wide thing or just the middlands?
JJ Butler

Ian_Giles

Re: how many witnesses?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 06:27:45 am »
No, window cleaning is one of the trades that they often use to earn a living, presumably because it gives them the freedom to practice their faith.
I've no doubt there are several that use the board, it would be interesting to hear their views.
Er, but not their views on their faith!

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 08:13:03 am »
alot of window cleaners in my area are Jehovahs Witnesses as am I is this a contry wide thing or just the middlands?

Its not not just a countrywide thing ! its worldwide. over 6million of us.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 08:30:58 am »

It's country wide.  A lot of them choose window cleaning as the flexible hours allow them to go knocking on doors preaching while earning a decent living for working part-time if desired.  The other thing is that many of them choose to minimise their association with non-believers (except when door knocking for preaching purposes) so window cleaning allows them to opt out of the ratrace to a greater degree than working for an employer would allow.
I'm OK with them so long as they live and let live without trying to impose their beliefs.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:33:04 am »
Graham, please moderate yourself and keep your tone inoffensive.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 08:33:41 am »
... and also gives them the freedom to avoid paying taxes!  :o

Funnily enough Graham, they are usually quite picky about following government regulations so long as it doesn't conflict with their beliefs.  I'm not trying to be an apologist for them but I'll speak as I find.

matt

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 08:44:27 am »
around here i know of about 15 WC'ers and only ONE is NOT a JW

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 08:49:24 am »
'Speaking as you find' is usually followed by a tirade of abuse.

'Well, I speak as I find, and I find that X is a X, and they really ought to do something about this outrage!'

I hate that phrase 'speak as you find'.  If we all did that, there would be fights all day and night in every street, and anywhere people got together.

Tosh - the maths is simple, 6 million out 7 billion is small fry.  I FIND that its not offensive to point out a few figures.

Well there are quite a few negative things I could say too about their belief system but that's got nothing to do with window cleaning.  Perhaps I should amend what I said in the previous post and change it to "speak as I find about JWs attitude towards paying their income tax"  ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 08:56:48 am »
i heard its because they have to spend time in a menial job for a couple of years

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 09:01:48 am »
I always thought "speak as you find" meant that you speak about a matter/person in light of the experience you personally have had about that matter/person.

e.g.

W/C1   "I think Graham Cat needs to be moderated more often, he is a troll with a pole."

W/C2   "Well, I speak as I find and I usually find his "one liner comments" highly amusing. In fact when he gives window cleaning advice it is very helpful."

So "Speak as you find" can be both positive or negative about the subject being discussed.
It's a game of three halves!

P @ F

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 09:15:17 am »
I have one customer who is a JW , he asked me to clean the windows in his Watch tower last week !

No offence meant , i just thought it funny.

The suppliers i got my system from are a family of JW's , i wish i could take a leaf out of there book really , the missus always comments on my language !

Rich  P @ F
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 09:26:55 am »
hi all

i am a jehovah witness as some would know.

i think we have been down this road before and i take offence as to what people are saying we have freedom of religion and this is not a religous board but rather a window cleaning one . i never slate anyone else on here or there religous or personal beliefs.so i appreciate people keeping there opinions to themselves. i come on here for help and advice on window cleaning not to talk about religion.

can we stick to window cleaning and leave this subject as it go s otoo far each time .

shawn

(WINDOW CLEANING forum)
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 09:38:05 am »
I always thought "speak as you find" meant that you speak about a matter/person in light of the experience you personally have had about that matter/person.

e.g.

W/C1   "I think Graham Cat needs to be moderated more often, he is a troll with a pole."

W/C2   "Well, I speak as I find and I usually find his "one liner comments" highly amusing. In fact when he gives window cleaning advice it is very helpful."

So "Speak as you find" can be both positive or negative about the subject being discussed.

It can be but there are reasons I won't do this on here.  Firstly, the thread would get locked.
Also, apart from a few individuals I remember who used their faith as a smokescreen for abuse, I don't have any problems with them as individuals.  However, if I were to start dissecting religious beliefs on here or to start complaining about how their "Elders" sometimes treat those who struggle to maintain perfect adherence,  then that would not regarded as appropriate for a window cleaning forum.
Apart from that, it would be playing into the JWs hands because they view any, even negative comments about their religion as positive because it draws attention to them.  I guess I've just played into their hands  :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 09:39:42 am »
i heard its because they have to spend time in a menial job for a couple of years

No. That's not so.

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 09:40:49 am »
this needs to be locked i dont come on here for this !!!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 09:41:23 am »
hi all

i am a jehovah witness as some would know.

i think we have been down this road before and i take offence as to what people are saying we have freedom of religion and this is not a religous board but rather a window cleaning one . i never slate anyone else on here or there religous or personal beliefs.so i appreciate people keeping there opinions to themselves. i come on here for help and advice on window cleaning not to talk about religion.

can we stick to window cleaning and leave this subject as it go s otoo far each time .

shawn

(WINDOW CLEANING forum)

No problem Shawn.  I haven't been on this board too long so didn't realise this route had been travelled before.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 09:44:24 am »
this needs to be locked i dont come on here for this !!!!

Maybe Brother Butler shouldn't have tried to get the focus on his religion.  I believe that he should have refrained from doing so.  There are plenty of places on the internet where he can do this if he wishes to count sitting in front of his computer in his monthly report hours.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 09:50:54 am »
Matthew 5 v 10 - 12 can help any Christian stay cool!
It's a game of three halves!

www.mrgutters.co.uk

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 09:54:25 am »
come on lets get ou there and clean those windows . its what we do best .

shawn ;D

matt

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 11:08:22 am »
Is it you Matt?

no its not me, its another bloke

though i must admit, i am NOT a JW either

so i guess thats 2 of us ;)