Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garry22

What is SEO?
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:14:37 pm »
There have been lots of "discussions" about "SEO".

I'm just wondering what everyone actually understands by the term SEO.

When someone says they have "SEO'd a site", what do they mean?

Everyone's opinion welcome but please, no vague answers like "getting a site up in Google"!

Garry

derek west

Re: What is SEO?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:22:17 pm »
it makes it easy for search engines like google and yahoo etc... to understand what the site is about and therefore match them to the search term that someone puts in.

Thackley Cleaning Services

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:22:47 pm »
SEO stands for search engine optimisation and means just what it says.

Third party web developpers will optimise your website to ensure that the internet search engines such a google or yahoo can 'see' the site correctly and once they are able to see it then rank it according to several criteria that they use.

If your site ranks well with their criteria then they rank it higher in searches for the phrases that your seo team have optimised your site for.

For example if you run a carpet cleaning business, your site should have plenty of copy about carpet cleaning, lots of relevant links to other carpet cleaning related sites and solid site structure, and if someone types carpet cleaning hopefully your site will come up on the first page (if you have paid a fair bit of cash or just got lucky).

specific searches like carpet cleaners in york are cheaper to do than generics like carpet cleaning and are easier to obtain high rankings for.

But beware, SEO companies promise the earth and deliver very little.

garry22

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:53:38 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

I was wondering what people thought the term SEO meant.

In a recent thread there were a lot of differing opinions about it. Maybe the participants were not even arguing about the same thing.

SEO is such a broad term  (I am starting to really dislike it) that I'm sure that a newcomer to internet marketing must wonder what on earth is going on.

What do you think?

Garry