Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

idealrob

Re: Canvassing - Am I Undercutting?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:34 am »
The window cleaner where
yi have a business premises does the houses everykweeh on monday or tuesdays, but when he goes on holiday does them twice the same week, mon & tuesday , then Thursday & Friday. honest on two up two down properties

idealrob

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 02:18:44 am »
If he's only just purchased the round, he has no customer loyalty and stands to loose a lot like he obviously is.  I wouldn't like it if it happened to me but then buying a round is a risk.  I wouldn't say that you are undercutting as you are offering a different service ie same service at different intervals and the customers are choosing you.  He will probably retain a few though and stay on the estate thus providing you a bit of healthy competition.

Simon.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 07:46:08 am »
Maybe I am doing something wrong here, as when I go door knocking and as soon as they say they have a window cleaner (after I ask them) I walk away without going into any more depth esc the charges.

I think it maybe still a fine line of undercutting although 2 weeks is far too often and agree with you there but also 2 months is too long.

The way I look at it, is would you like it done to you, i.e, someone going round once a quarter to save them money?
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Londoner

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:11 am »
When you are in any form of business you must tailor your service to match what the customers wants.

I have no qualms about taking work off another cleaner on the basis of better service or better quality. I doubt if I could take work off many on the basis of price because I aim to be expensive.

So whats wrong with doing a customer every 12 weeks? Its another £60 a year in my pocket (or whatever) and a happy customer. Trying to stick to some dogmatic routine of your own making is silly.

I load them all into George and at the beginning of each week I press a button. Who ever is due that week gets printed off on the worksheet and thats who gets cleaned. I have no reason to worry about their frequency.

When I go to see a new customer I say to them there is no set time, you tell me how often you want them cleaned and thats how we set you up on the computer. And it works believe me, I must be one of the dearest window cleaners around but my phone never stops ringing with new people who have been given my number. I don't advertise and I don't canvass for work.

kudos_kid

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 03:41:34 pm »
8 houses a week, 52 weeks of the year at a 10 a house =25000 grand a year turnover. 416 custy's in total to be done every 2 months.

Go for it, i'm not even a window cleaner, I'm a joiner who is considering changing career.

Good Luck

Chris

From Gateshead

PS anyone know what price it is for a typical 3 bedroom semi on a council estate is for cleaning windows

lee09

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 04:11:40 pm »
8 houses a week, 52 weeks of the year at a 10 a house =25000 grand a year turnover. 416 custy's in total to be done every 2 months.

Go for it, i'm not even a window cleaner, I'm a joiner who is considering changing career.

Good Luck

Chris

From Gateshead

PS anyone know what price it is for a typical 3 bedroom semi on a council estate is for cleaning windows

Please don't go into teaching maths ;D
lee

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 05:05:45 pm »
The only thing that would have annoyed me if I were the other window cleaner is that the customers didn't bother asking me to change their schedule. The thing that would worry me if I were the new cleaner is how quickly they're changing; obviously no loyalty at all.

Almost all of our customers are 4 weekly which seems to suit them as well as us. 8 weekly would mean needing twice as many customers :-\
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

Jack Wallace

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 05:17:08 pm »

Good Luck

Chris

From Gateshead

will someone PLEASE send him a calculator   ;D

Mike55

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »

Good Luck

Chris

From Gateshead

will someone PLEASE send him a calculator ;D

8 houses a week for £25k a year....... sounds good   ::)   (sorry Chris!)

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »
Quite a few of my custies have been canvassed, but I do a good job so they stick with me, and I'm not cheap.

Don't aim to be the cheapest, any fool can do that

daztheger

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 11:35:35 pm »
my custys always tell me if anyone undercuts me , or sticks a leaflet thru their door and what other services they offer . iv never lost a customer thru anyone advertising or knocking their doors,  i think if u get business from someone elses patch , they are not up to the job.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 11:57:41 pm »
Attend Geof this is business class.
[/quoteits better to take work of of other window cleaners and charge more for cleaning the windows instead of doing it cheaper

Mike55

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 12:00:59 am »
I think daztheger makes a good point - if you do a good job and the custies are pleased with it they will be reluctant to switch just based on price.  My perception is that most custies want to keep hold of a good, reliable windy end of.