Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

♠Winp®oClean♠

JTD or HDI?
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:29:11 pm »
Hi

I'm about to get another van & looking at a pre-'97 expert/dispatch/scudo.

The question is which engine is best? I'm not bothered about power or speed etc. it won't be carrying anymore than 500Ltrs. I'm more concerened with reliability, cost of maintenance etc.

1.9JTD or 2.0HDI?

Any oppinoins? Pro's con's etc.?

TonyD

Re: JTD or HDI?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:30:36 pm »
The Fiat 1.9 has a great reputation.  I have a Doblo (only good for a 250ltr tank) with the 1.9JTD engine and I've put 80k miles on it in 2 years without a single problem. 

Window Washers

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:49:45 pm »
I have a 2l hdi relay van and replaced the engine at about 30k on the clock, just had new gear box and clutch as well, so like new van now thats on an 03 plate  >:(
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

ftp

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:04:55 am »
 :o 30k! :o that's terrible!

I have despatch HDI with no problems yet but that's got me worried.

perfectpanesplymouth

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:16:31 pm »
the 1.9 is easier and cheaper to get bits for especially if you go for 2nd hand for major components. the engine i replaced in my scudo had 185000 on the clock and i replaced it with a citreon xantia engine. i only changed it as head gasket had gone and i had the engine anyway.
i now have 3 spare engines lying around from different peugouts and citreons
i probably won't ever need them but i like to be prepared ;D

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 05:42:17 pm »
Hi
I am pretty certain that the 2.0JTD and 2.0Hdi engines are identical - the JTD is a rebadged Hdi. The specs on the Ducato/Relay/Boxer engines are all identical.
The 2.3JTD and 2.4JTD are fiat engines. I also think the 2.8JTD is the same as the 2.8Hdi.
The earlier 1.9 diesels that pandf2 is talking about are Peugeot/Citroen engines that Fiat also used and were either std aspirated or Turbo'ed but are not the new common rail engines.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:11:00 pm »
Hi
I am pretty certain that the 2.0JTD and 2.0Hdi engines are identical - the JTD is a rebadged Hdi. The specs on the Ducato/Relay/Boxer engines are all identical.
The 2.3JTD and 2.4JTD are fiat engines. I also think the 2.8JTD is the same as the 2.8Hdi.
The earlier 1.9 diesels that pandf2 is talking about are Peugeot/Citroen engines that Fiat also used and were either std aspirated or Turbo'ed but are not the new common rail engines.

Yeah, it's me that didn't post it correctly. I do mean the HDI Vs the standard 1.9

bobby p

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 07:22:57 pm »
your looking for something  1997 year?   both those engines are similar  yet the hdi is far more pokey  and a nice drive  and both can easily do stacks of miles, long as oils changed very regular .you want to stoop down  and  look under, and look CLOSELY  in the sump area , if its oily  back-off  , because  a good engine of that type doesnt leak a drop of oil .  as its getting oldish it should have had the cambelt done at least once , look for evidence of that (stickers ,or notes in the service book)  .  having said that,renewing the cambelt is quite easy ,on both those engines .

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:39:38 pm »
your looking for something  1997 year?   both those engines are similar  yet the hdi is far more pokey  and a nice drive  and both can easily do stacks of miles, long as oils changed very regular .you want to stoop down  and  look under, and look CLOSELY  in the sump area , if its oily  back-off  , because  a good engine of that type doesnt leak a drop of oil .  as its getting oldish it should have had the cambelt done at least once , look for evidence of that (stickers ,or notes in the service book)  .  having said that,renewing the cambelt is quite easy ,on both those engines .

Thanks, I'm looking for 2006-2007 model (but not the newest shape one)

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:10 pm »
The 1.9TD engine used in the earlier Dispatches, Experts and Scudo's pulled very well, problem was that they were not ecomonical if pushed hard.

Years back I had a Xantia 1.9TD as a company car when I worked for Citroen in Reading and could only average about 36 MPG on my weekly weekend journey back to the North East. Later, when this car was changed to the Xantia with the Hdi engine, MPG rose to 50+ on the same journey.

But even the latest Common Rail engines can be fuel guzzlers if driven hard. 

I've just changed my 1.9d Citreon Relay for a newer Hdi model. Fuel consumption is noticably better but we will check when we fill up next time. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a while and if you do any reasonable mileage, the Hdi, although more expensive initially, will probably be the better bet in the long term IMO.

ftp - won't worry about engine reliability. The Hdi is the best out there, the reason why Ford was so eager to get the Hdi (rebadged Tdci) for their cars and vans. The couple of failures on Hdi engines that I had involvement with were the result of driver neglect and abuse. (Not saying that this is the reason in every case as they did have oil pick up problems with some engines and hence not driver related.) Gearboxes were an issue in earlier Relay's and in most instances was caused by water ingress into the gearbox through the selector shaft. Citroen/Peugeot's solution was to fill the gearbox housing upper casing with resin so the water would run off rather than pond in the strengthening blocks. They never did anything about re-routing the water drain pipes from the windscreen that were the cause of the problem in the first place. The 1.9d dispatch had the same gearbox with very few problems.
The new Hdi's from 2002 onwards got a new gearbox which allegedly solved the earlier problems.

Have a look on Ebay and see how many high mileage Hdi C5's and Xsara's there are for sale.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:34:20 am »
The 1.9TD engine used in the earlier Dispatches, Experts and Scudo's pulled very well, problem was that they were not ecomonical if pushed hard.

Years back I had a Xantia 1.9TD as a company car when I worked for Citroen in Reading and could only average about 36 MPG on my weekly weekend journey back to the North East. Later, when this car was changed to the Xantia with the Hdi engine, MPG rose to 50+ on the same journey.

But even the latest Common Rail engines can be fuel guzzlers if driven hard. 

I've just changed my 1.9d Citreon Relay for a newer Hdi model. Fuel consumption is noticably better but we will check when we fill up next time. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a while and if you do any reasonable mileage, the Hdi, although more expensive initially, will probably be the better bet in the long term IMO.

ftp - won't worry about engine reliability. The Hdi is the best out there, the reason why Ford was so eager to get the Hdi (rebadged Tdci) for their cars and vans. The couple of failures on Hdi engines that I had involvement with were the result of driver neglect and abuse. (Not saying that this is the reason in every case as they did have oil pick up problems with some engines and hence not driver related.) Gearboxes were an issue in earlier Relay's and in most instances was caused by water ingress into the gearbox through the selector shaft. Citroen/Peugeot's solution was to fill the gearbox housing upper casing with resin so the water would run off rather than pond in the strengthening blocks. They never did anything about re-routing the water drain pipes from the windscreen that were the cause of the problem in the first place. The 1.9d dispatch had the same gearbox with very few problems.
The new Hdi's from 2002 onwards got a new gearbox which allegedly solved the earlier problems.

Have a look on Ebay and see how many high mileage Hdi C5's and Xsara's there are for sale.

Spruce

Thanks for that spruce, very informative. ;)