Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian Fletcher

bad things
« on: May 20, 2005, 07:17:28 pm »
what is the worst thing to happen,when you have been working,,

mine is falling of a ladder on too a bmw,

£2000 damage and a broken arm :'(
oi mate you have missed a bit

H h20

Re: bad things
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 07:19:31 pm »
 :( being told my sevices are no longer required  :(

gaza

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 08:44:32 pm »
TOLD ive not been to the bank yet,means Ive got to go back
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 08:54:23 pm »
I spent two hours on a special job of windows and awnings for a company who called me.  After I finished, the manager said they didn't know they received free window cleaning.  Huh???

Turns out, I got the names of two businesses crossed.  One was Cold Water Something, the other was Cold Stone Something.  I did the wrong store across the street.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 09:00:00 pm »
Mine might sound pretty tame, but if you don't like spiders then you'll understand.

I was at the top of a ladder last Summer, sun shining, without a care in the world when I glanced at my reflection in the window.  Sitting on my shoulder was the evilest, meanest looking spider; growling at me.

I screamed like a girl, pooed my pants and nearly had an industrial accident.  I got the spider off though.

Marc's on the Glass, LLC

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 09:06:13 pm »
Lol...

That reminds me.  Ever heard of a Japanese Hornet???  These guys are the size of small birds.  Their venom can eat human flesh from the inside.  One of these hornets got in my collar one day and you never saw a man jump around and scream the way I did.  I nearly wept

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 09:22:59 pm »
Lol...

That reminds me.  Ever heard of a Japanese Hornet???  These guys are the size of small birds.  Their venom can eat human flesh from the inside.  One of these hornets got in my collar one day and you never saw a man jump around and scream the way I did.  I nearly wept

Clear View,

I had to check where you lived; Virginia, USA.  I guess you get some big bugs around there.  Ours are pretty tame in comparison, although I once lived for eight months in Belize in Central America and they had some monsters. 

Everything in Belize has 'teeth'.  There, the mosquitos are the size of humming birds.
Hundreds of people there, every year are bitten by poisonous spiders hiding under the toilet seat (apparantly).  Snakes and spiders the size of my hand are as common as cats are here.

I also remember Texas Girl (from Houston) posting something about fire-ants.  Apparantly they're not very pleasant to stand on.  Here the worst we face standing on is dog poo (that's sh@t to you). 

It's especially unpleasant if you don't realise and then walk up your ladder!

rosskesava

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 09:48:11 pm »
Mine was being up a ladder doing the windows of a stunning country house with a beautifull view on a sunny day and feeling a sharp pain in my leg.

I looked down and my trousers were covered in wasps. With the top of the ladder I'd disturbed a wasps nest that was underneath the tiles just under the sill.

I almost jumped from half way down the ladder and stripped down to my undies. I had about 15 or so stings. Fortunately, I didn't suffer any real reaction and I used a whole spray thing of 'Wasp Eze'.

I hadn't been stung since a kid and I'd forgotten just how much like being stung is like a needle being stuck in you.

A few hours later I was back working but I still look for wasps nests every property we do.

As for the posting about by Clear View, I'm glad I live here.

Although I did live and work in Malaysia for 2 years and there was this wasp/hornet/monster insect that was about an inch and a half long and it's sting was a further half an inch. I was told if you get stung by one just call an ambulance and prey.

That along with the nine inch long and 1 inch thick centipede that gave a wicked bite which I experienced strangely enough, while hosing down the windows to get all the dead insects off them. I had to snap it's pincers off it's head to get it off my ankle. To touch it was disgusting but the pain was extreme. I then wallped it with the end of the hose pipe and then later, all these little tiny ants cut it up into little bits and carted it off. My ankle was swollen and painfull for 3 weeks and I had to take these putrid tablets that gave me the sh*ts.

It still gives me the heeby jeebies thinking about it.

Yup, I prefer the UK for window cleaning.

Ugh....

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 10:20:36 pm »
Bad and Good!

One estate I still do by trad. methods cuz I still find it quicker and easier (no bays plus flat roofed porches with lots of downstairs glass in terraces of six)

Bad:- I've got my ladder up to the bathroom window (transoms are stick on lead, rest of window, ali in hardwood. isn't) lady of the house comes out sheepishly "can you give it a miss this time? - I've had a large vet's bill" me - a bit frostily "they only get done every other month anyway!" her "I know - I'm just short this month" I reluctantly agree as she apologises profusely.

I only charge £7.00 but it only takes 15 mins - so I wanted to dump her but feel that as this is the only time this has happened in five years that I'm cutting my nose off to spite my face - on the other hand I'm so stacked with work I wouldn't mind driopping her to make a point!

So what would you do? ???

Good:- Similar house, same price just finished first window and lady drives up and says "don't worry about it - I'm having new windows tomorrow!" me - "OK, no problem!" Her "I'll pay you anyway" me "no- you can't do that" Her "That's not how it works - we agreed to monthly cleans and it's not your fault they're being replaced"

And she insists on paying me and not having her windows cleaned! Amazing! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

s.hughes

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 10:37:52 pm »
Hi Fellas
2 worst things that happened to me was a job years ago. I was asked to do a builders clean on a new office block that was 40 miles away, just the insides. No problem until I saw the size of the place. So I just carried on. It took all day solid and I was fed up by the end of it as you would be on a builders clean.
The site agent came to me just as I had finnished (he wasnt around all day) and informed me that they only wanted the glass on the stairs done. What he was talking about was just silly little bits of glass just under the hand rail, it would have taken me 2 hours tops. I was gutted.
Good thing is I kicked up a fuss cause it wasnt explained to me properly so I was paid and I came back and did the glass on the stairs and was paid for that also.
Thing that really got to me though was I steer clear of builders cleans cause they are such hard work and I had done the whole building.

2nd thing was a wasp sting while up a ladder. No problem. Trouble was, that night my arm swelled up. I took myself to the hospital where I collapsed and apparently when I came around I didnt even know my own name.
Now I have to carry medication in case of another sting and even then I have to go straight to hosptial. The doctors said the next one could be fatal.

So please dont discuss these hornets cause I've seen them and I'm steering clear like them builders cleans.

Steveyboy

jsm

Re: bad things New
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 06:35:21 am »
mines cleaning the uspstairs outside window on a house and seeing the lady of the house come into the bedroom - from the bathroom wearing nothing  :o :o :o :o  :o :o

she ran out pretty quick  ;D

she was in her 70's

I've not looked her in the eye's since   :-[ :-[ haha

John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout