Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ray Pickering

The new Kid on the Block.
« on: April 24, 2005, 02:24:03 pm »
Hi there.
I'm seriously considering starting up a window cleaning business.
I'd like to know what tools & equipment i will need & ladders etc;
I live between Derby & Nottingham & would like some idea about the price to charge per window or complete house.
What's your opinions on buying starter packs??
In fact any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated
Kind regards Biker Ray.

Grafters Cleaning Services

Re: The new Kid on the Block.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 03:41:39 pm »
hi ray and welcome to cleanitup, i've just been on ebay try this link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11702&item=4375493107&rd=1
everything seems to be there except for oblong bucket or try thses people www.scrimcity.co.uk they are good or http://cleantech.co.uk/catalogue/ for ladders this link http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/LadderStore_com_Window_Cleaners_Ladders_30.html before you take the traditional route think about wfp.
as for prices that varies from area to area here in the south average £8-£9 per 3bed house
good luck in your venture
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Ray Pickering

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 04:50:08 pm »
Hi Jay (Grafters)
thanks for info!!! i've considered WFP system but thought am i running before i can walk!! also i've yet to get customers.
What other industry would take the time to give this sort of help
I think it's absolutely brilliant.
Regards Biker Ray.

brett walker

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:26:43 pm »
 :) hi ray
             you could try window cleaning warehouse or scrim city on the net if you live nottingham way try ideal cleaning services on nutall road  or for ladders try bratts ladders on lenton lane near the showcase cinemas.  i myself use a 14 inch squeegey , 18 inch aplicator scrim and microfibre cloth best of luck brett  8)

Ray Pickering

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:14:11 am »
Cheers Brett.  ;D
thanks for your help (sounds like you live round the Nottingham area?) i'll try & sort myself out this week Ray.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 07:23:08 pm »
If you go straight for GG4/3 instead of Fairy etc you might find a 12" squeegee better for domestic stuff as it is easier to maneuver. (and many rubber suppliers provide lengths of 36" and you get 3 cuts to the length - although Unger do 42" too.)

By the way are you Biker Ray as in motorbike or pedal cycle?
It's a game of three halves!

Ray Pickering

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 10:28:58 pm »
Hi Malc.  ;D
Thanks for the info, it's a great help.
Yes i'm a Motor Biker as in a born again hooligan.
Cheers biker Ray.

matt2323

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 12:51:57 am »
hi ray this a great buisness to get into,ive done this for 20 years on and off and ill give you one great bit of advice,leaflet as many areas as you can and do a minimum charge of 12 quid,tell all your new customers that you clean the frames and sills;and you only want customers that have it done monthly.and i promise you wont look back,just hammer the ass out of the leaflets.you wont look back

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 05:09:31 pm »
D'you know Matt2323 - of all the time I've been window cleaning along comes someone with the most blindingly simple, obvious suggestion that I wonder why I didn't think of it and apply it myself! That is exactly what I am going to do with all my new customers from now on. Cheers!

Temps

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 09:57:11 pm »
Graham,
Would have to agree with you there, I dropped for the first time 600 leaflets last monday and I havent got one call yet!......Waste of time, I get roughly ten customers for 2 hours canvessing, the only way?

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 11:42:14 am »
Just to clarify my answer Matt2323 - I was commenting about the whole post excluding the leaflet bit of which I have no experience. But surely canvassing and leaving leaflets will give you more punch for your pound then doing just leaflets or just canvassing?

Ray Pickering

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 10:12:47 am »
A big thank you to all who have responded to my queries. ;D
I'm getting myself sorted 8) i've bought my ladders, tools etc;
the help & advise you get on this forum is amazing--would'nt happen in any other industry--you will get more questions from me cus i want to learn as much as i can to do the job RIGHT!
Have a nice Bank Holiday ::)
Cheers Ray.

gaza

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 11:48:12 am »
hi ray this a great buisness to get into,ive done this for 20 years on and off and ill give you one great bit of advice,leaflet as many areas as you can and do a minimum charge of 12 quid,tell all your new customers that you clean the frames and sills;and you only want customers that have it done monthly.and i promise you wont look back,just hammer the ass out of the leaflets.you wont look back living in Nottingham at 12 quid you woulnt get 1 job if you canvassed all day and all night,for 1 terraced house you pay 4 quid min max 4.50/3bed house min 5 squid max 6.50 I THINK IT UNFAIR to quote prices like that when its obviously a southern price struture gives the wrong guide lines.my window cleaner just been 1.50 for two windows and hes 26 yrs in trade and employs 5/6 lads so must be doing something right    GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

simbo

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 08:11:14 pm »
gazza
window cleaners in your area are very undervalued. I personally used to clean windows my for somebody else as my first job, 17 years ago just the fronts of terace then was £2.50.
I am just starting my own round up at the moment whole working 6-2 full time as well, targetting nice areas and big houses, where a lot of cleaners already work and i am picking up all 10-£15 houses, why bother going after small as it seems they come to you anyway, hate canvassing but drop leaflets, although response is roughly 2% i usually pick up off of them as well, one customer gave four numbers and i do not collect either starting as i mean to go on.
ps. I intend to fly same areas once a month also as people are very shy, if you drop a day or two before you are around people take notice
works for me ,all the best everyone and enjoy i love it
paul ;)

gaza

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 08:53:12 am »
hi simbo:at those prices you will be joining those people who you clean windows for and good luck to you .I say the same as you window cleaners are under valued 5 squid TO HAVE THEIR PRESIOUS CAR CLEANED,and 5 squid to have their house cleaned doesnt add up right.Everyone peeing in the same pot around here ,two blokes employing 10 /12 blokes between them charging low prices,working younguns fingers to the bone, trying to break their hold over a small town,we seem to have more window cleaners than windows to clean.All of them using ladders with no safety atachments,just carried on as before,carnt wait till HSE have a clamp down.me being w/f/p.anyway got to go to work now ,seen youngun of to school.
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

pjulk

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 05:12:52 pm »
I dropped for the first time 600 leaflets last monday and I havent got one call yet!......

Try dropping thousands and you will notice the differance.
I would try leafleting a differant area.
Also try dropping leaflets in the same area's each month.
The more people see your leaflet the more chance customers will ring you.
1st leaflet drop does not always get many, try again next month to the same area and i bet you get a few calls.
The month after you should get even more calls.

Leaflets do work but you have to keep putting them out.

Paul

pjulk

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 06:56:48 pm »
why not

simbo

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 08:02:28 pm »
leaflets do work,
they have to be put out on a regular basis though ie: monthly as it gives confidence. As i keep picking up customers i will keep leafletting for at least 4 hours a week. What i have found is responce for window cleaning much better than carpet cleaning, this fact is holding me back at the moment but hopefully once i have enough windows to give reg income will push harder for carpet work, thats my plan anyhow.
any advice given on this would be gratefully recieved
have a good one
paul

tightswerve

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 08:57:41 pm »
I agree, i started with leaflet drops at weekends as i work full time.  An hour or two at weekends soon created enough work 4 me!  ;)

matt2323

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 01:17:00 am »
hi ray if i could only talk offline i could tell you so much about this game,trust me mate you really cant say to much on line about income ,cos most of us wont admit what we earn online .we would be mad.