Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ftp

Tanks : i wonder?
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:49:32 pm »
I just wondered if it would be safer to design a tank that actually ruptured on impact so dispersing the energy quickly?

What do you think?

jonisondell

Re: Tanks : i wonder?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 05:04:41 pm »
yes thought about that idea, after that rubbish crash test but, the only way i could think was to have an area which was very thin and would rupture when crashed, but would also damage very easy

also remember that test the lid flew off??, think it was left loose to dissapate energy ie let some water on impact.
didnt fool me

matt

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »
yes thought about that idea, after that rubbish crash test but, the only way i could think was to have an area which was very thin and would rupture when crashed, but would also damage very easy

also remember that test the lid flew off??, think it was left loose to dissapate energy ie let some water on impact.
didnt fool me

have a tank with a series of tank lids, then in a crash all the water would fly everywhere

the only downside to this is some people have reported that pure water is eating though clothes / metal and other materials, it might eat your skin and leave you looking like skeletor  :(

jonisondell

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:45:55 pm »
hi mat you are joking in your second para??

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:48:06 pm »

No he's not! I splashed myself with pure water and now I look like terminator after all his flesh has been blown away! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 05:53:53 pm »
F1 use carbon kevlar tanks for the same reason they rupture and deforem but don`t split,when they deform they absorb energy.

matt

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:47:03 pm »

it was a joke, BUT we have had people say that pure water has eaten t-shirts etc etc

personally i cannot see it, as i had rain last week that was purer than the water i use

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:54:36 pm »
A standard tank in a frame designed to "Cut" into the plastic in a high impact collision would be a good idea IMO.

chrismroberts

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:49:30 pm »
Now THIS is a good idea......!!

I suppose you could engineer a weakness into the tank, so that under normal conditions it keeps integrity, but in the force of a crash, it ruptures. Would soak you through, but not kill you.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:03:21 pm »
The army use big "ballon" tanks that are totally flexible but will also rupture under great pressure so taking out the kinetic energy  :o

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 09:08:57 pm »
Reminds me of those big yellow things they have on the M20 motorway at the interchange. they are all lined up in front of the concrete wall so that if someone doesn't pick a lane they plough into these things all the water shoots out and they survive, instead of smashing into the wall.

I guess if you crashed into a ditch you could drown though ;D

ftp

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:20:04 pm »
wouldn't catch fire  :)

jonisondell

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:54:29 pm »
Now THIS is a good idea......!!

I suppose you could engineer a weakness into the tank, so that under normal conditions it keeps integrity, but in the force of a crash, it ruptures. Would soak you through, but not kill you.
see second post, i own the international rights. ;D

matt

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 10:21:24 pm »
Reminds me of those big yellow things they have on the M20 motorway at the interchange. they are all lined up in front of the concrete wall so that if someone doesn't pick a lane they plough into these things all the water shoots out and they survive, instead of smashing into the wall.

I guess if you crashed into a ditch you could drown though ;D

they have them on all the interstates in the USA aswell

alanwilson

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 11:45:40 pm »
the tanks used in f1 are designed to be flexible in an impact so that the fuel doesn't escape and catch fire - the tank still has the same moment of inertia and so is useless for our application where we want to reduce the moment - rupturing the tank is a good idea which I have thought about but the problem with that is the tanks need to be engineered for each vehicle as different vehicles dissipate the energy at a different rate.

I have looked into this and have thought of another way to solve the problem very very effectively where a generic unit would be suitable for all vans but the costs are very very high and initial calculations puts the cost of each tank around £1200

I can't see many guys rushing out to spend the money.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

ftp

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 07:40:47 am »
Simplest method seems to be several filler caps to me or even push fit ones a bit like core plugs in a cars engine. The top of the tank is not normally under stress so i can't see it being too difficult to manufacture for a lay flat tank. Probably wouldn't need to be that scientific eithe,r just so long as they didn't burst out under hard braking.

chrismroberts

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:09 am »
Unless the rupture of the tank was triggered electronically, and linked to the airbag trigger?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 09:56:55 am »
Simplest method seems to be several filler caps to me or even push fit ones a bit like core plugs in a cars engine. The top of the tank is not normally under stress so i can't see it being too difficult to manufacture for a lay flat tank. Probably wouldn't need to be that scientific eithe,r just so long as they didn't burst out under hard braking.
How about big caps (8 or 10" round) near the base on the front & sides of the tank, glued into place with a sealant that is rated to a certain pressure. A crash above 30 mph would exceed the pressure and the plugs would pop out. The impact would be lessened, possible fires could be extinguished,..... and the caps could be cleaned and re-sealed back into place ready for work the following week at a minimal cost to the user??