Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Simpson

Big job - Temp staff or go it alone?
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:37:43 pm »
Got a big house clean to do in a couple of weeks, usually work alone, mainly carpets & upholstery and the odd post tenancy/one off cleans.
Priced up a large 5 bed victorian house clean a few weeks ago and they have decided to go ahead with it, because and I quote "how professional I presented myself and my quotation"

Anyway, its an older couple that have let it get on top of them a bit and have not done any cleaning in a while, they want a good deep clean then intend on getting a regular cleaner in to maintain.

Have worked out it would take 4 to 4.5 days on my own, but they are nearly an hours travel each way plus they mentioned several times "your cleaners".

Don't have anyone I know that I can call on so was thinking of the possibility of temp agency staff but I have no idea of their hourly rates or if its worth the hassle.
When I worked for a large company some years ago we were sent temps to do manual work that supposedly knew what they were doing but stood around watching us do all the work.

What do you think?
Cheers
Paul

hotsteam

Re: Big job - Temp staff or go it alone?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 12:54:55 am »
Paul have you priced it so you could sub out some of the work to someone who knows what they are doing ? if not do not bother  ::) or your business profile will suffer

Griffus

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:18:12 am »
In a previous life I employed upto 60 agency workers a day. Bearing in mind that I was a major customer it is worth noting that on a bad day we could have 15% no shows and untrained replacements sent in (often without notice or request).

Over time we ultimately filtered the good ones out and went on to directly employ many of them. Some even moving into admin and management roles.

Rather than waflle on any more I would say that you will be on a loser employing temps to help with this job. I say this for the following reasons: -

1)    You are not the type of customer that agencies will respect (Too small, unlikely to give them much in the way of repeat business, etc.) although to your face they may well be all smiles, remember that they are sales people.

2)    As a result of the above you may not even be able to get an agency to supply.

3)    If you do get one to supply then the odds are you'll be getting the 'dreggs' that no one else wants (unless you are very lucky).

4)    You will be paying a premium as not only the wage(s) but the agency mark-up. Have you built this in to your quote?

5)    You will have to carry out a full induction (H & S included). You will also have to check with your insurance that you are OK to employ.

6)    You will be paying from the place that they report to work. If this is your home / office you will be paying an additional 2 hours wages just for their travelling time.

I think I could probably go on for ever but I am sure you get my drift.

In summary, agency staff can be a great asset in the longer term, even for small companies. It does however take time building a strong relationship with any agency so that you only receive staff of the quality (or as near as possible) as required. It takes a lot of time and effort to do this properly so under the ciscumstances I would not recommend this as a option for you.

There must be someone you know personally that can help out. 4 + days is a bit too long in one house; they'll be charging you rent!

Good Luck!

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:07:21 am »
Go it alone and tell the customer you do it to maintain the standard

chloejayne

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:39:56 am »
There must be someone on here that could help out for a few hours?

Even if it just for two hours to give the look  :-\

Paul Simpson

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:37:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Don't intend on subbing it out, would rather go it alone than go down that route.
Have already stessed to them that it would be spread over a few days to maintain standards, just as BDCS said.
Good detailed reply Ian, kinda confirmed what I was thinking.
Like the last idea, someone even for just a few hours, show of strength so to speak, then can always say they had to go on another job.

Another thought I had was ringing a small cleaning company in that area, which is not my usual area I would cover, as they got my details from the Internet and see if they fancy a days work out of it? They might even get the regular maintenance clean out of it?

Thanks again.
Paul

Karl Wheeler

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:50:59 pm »
Hi Paul
I notice you profile says your from Sussex, where in SUssex. We may be able to help you out. email me on info@cleantechcleaning.co.UK for a chat if you are interested

Thanks
Karl.