Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

CarPete Cleaning

Office Carpet - Post-Flood
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:11:36 pm »
Hi all,
got to clean a small office next week, it has been flooded with grey water, but is now only damp.  It is a low profile synthetic, rubber backed and glued to the sub-floor - that's what they told me anyway.
Any recommendations re:  best chems to use and process to follow would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking of a crystal green / clensan combination to clean and sanitise in the one operation, followed by air movers.  Would this be ok?
thanks,
Pete
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102

markpowell

Re: Office Carpet - Post-Flood
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »
I would wait until its dry and see if there is any water damage or marks. Crystal green and Clensan will do the job ok, do you have access to a LM method?
Mark

CarPete Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:06:28 pm »
Thanks -
No I don't currently have a rotary, only a Sebo Duo and powder VLM system.
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:28:11 pm »
The method you suggest sounds fine but you make no mention of whether there is an odour problem.

If it's still damp a week after the flood then one would expect bacteria to have been growing with a corresponding smell. Continued dampness means there is a problem below the rubber back and you can often have big problems from the glue/latex/rubber combining with moisture and creating an odour.

Cleaning the top surface will often not deal with this problem. And obviously access to the reverse is not usually feasible if its glued down.

So really not enough info to give full advice but just be aware of these other criteria before you jump in and promise the owners the earth in terms of results.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:46:48 am »
Has any professional drying work been carried out??

As said above you can't just waltz in and do a standard carpet clean after a flood.  Unfortunately many people think this way, they just think that if their carpet has been affected by anything then "cleaning" is the answer.

If it hasn't had dehumidifiers and airmovers in there, and had moisture readings taken, then there really is a need to get it properly sorted otherwise it could turn in to a very expensive problem a few weeks or months down the line.

By next week, the carpet may have lifted in places where the adhesive has failed or the surface of concrete screed has disintegrated.

What about the walls?  Water might have worked its way up the walls, which isn't always visible.  This could lead to later problems, including the skirtings rotting away from behind.

Sometimes people don't even realise this is an insurance issue.  I'd ask them if they've contacted their insurance company, you'll maybe lose a little job now but certainly curry favour for next time they are looking for "just" a carpet clean.

Sorry to be so blunt :)

richie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:36:06 am »
Your spot on Jim with the info given there. 

Richie.

CarPete Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 07:33:33 am »
Thanks guys for all the great advice - I will get my airmover in there today to help the drying out process.  They already have a heater and dehumidier on the go.  I wll give it a couple of days and then check the situation out before I do any cleaning.  Pete
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102