Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M.Acorn

Oil on block paving
« on: November 20, 2008, 04:11:54 pm »
Hi folks i have a major oil leak from the sump on my track car  >:( Had the sump off twice now trying to sort it out ,and it`s got to come off again,getting a rubber gasket which will sort it i hope.

Where it has been parked it has left quite a big mess,i rent and my land lady`s daughter owns the drive where i park,i think it`s courteous to try and sort it out..Any tips on what products i can use to do it,might have a try with my carpet cleaning machine,and not vac it up ?

What goes around comes around

drive surgeon

Re: Oil on block paving
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »
mark get on it right away before it soaks in,   get a degreaser like traffic film remover brush it on and agitate, leave to dwell then pressure wash off. keep doing till stain has gone, you wont know unti its dry tho if it has come out,  you can try thompsons drive cleaner if you cant get tfr.  by the way how do you put pictures on here? ta.  ;)

M.Acorn

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:21:34 pm »
Cool cheers will grab some tomorrow ! have done it once before on the same spot,used scalding hot water with washing powder in and a hard scrubbing brush,but wanted a better result.The oil that is there at the mo is new as it`s coming out as fast as i put it in.

Re pics ,i use photobucket to host them,then just copy the bottom link of the pic and paste it in the text field.
Cheers

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:12:14 pm »
That looks like synthetic oil so it will be trouble to remove completly. You clean carpets so try pog or solvex or the likes asap. You will need to pressure wash with hot if poss. Pile saw dust on top when you leave it, fullers earth would be better. Is there not a drive cleaner in the area ?
 A rubber gasket won't work but silicone or cork would

M.Acorn

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:35:50 pm »
The second time i had the sump off i put gasket sealer on both sides of the new gasket,just a thin smear really,then compressed it wiped away any excess then did it back up to specified torque.
Only reason i had the sump off in the first place was to fit a new oil pump.Will give solvex a try , used it to flush out the intercooler and pipe work when i blew the oil seals in my turbo .did the trick,expensive though

Oh yes it is semi synthetic,too flippin expensive to waste on the driveway  >:(

sherco

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:42 pm »
Some thing else you could try, when i have a stain on natural stone flooring i use a poultice to draw the stain out so thats worth a thought could be a bit expensive though.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 09:37:04 pm »
Going to try the other methods first ,then i will get some fullers earth (cat litter ? )

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:37:39 pm »
Fullers earth is supplied by firms like liberon of new romney. Wood oils are part resin part oil and to remove spilt oil you break down the resin with nitromors which frees the oil, this is then drawn out by the fullers earth. Brewers the paint merchants will get it for you.

ross12345

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 12:45:43 am »
wet the blocks then just flit over the block paveing and use nice clean side and resand job done ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 07:30:12 am »
Ha Ha to lifting the blocks  ;D cheers for all the input guy`s going to lay an old carpet cleaning tarpaulin down under there for now until i have fixed the leak,then i will be all out to sort it.Will put a pic up of my progress when i am done  ;D

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 04:15:12 pm »
have a look at OT8 by oiltechnics. daz