Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ken Wainwright

Re: Green range cleaning
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 05:41:01 pm »
Perhaps Doug is best qualified to answer this query.

Are microsplitters truly "Green" products?

My understanding is that they may be manufactured from food grade components and be safe to use, but I believe thay are not bio-degradeable.  I say this because the dried residue, whether from the concentrate or solution, is just a long lasting brittle white mass.

Is it also true, Doug, that these phosphates need to be broken down chemically at the sewerage works?

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Doug Holloway

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 04:07:58 pm »
Hi Ken

The non biodegradeable nature of sodium tripolyphosphate is due to the fact is an inorganic as opposed to an organic one and therefore doesn't biodegrade.

This is true of all inorganic compounds including the most common one, sodium chloride also known as common salt.

It can however be hydrolised and incorporated into the phosphorous cycle and is broken down in this way.

We have to be very careful about taking words like biodegradeable and giving them 'god' like staus.

Cheers

Doug

Jim_77

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 04:51:01 pm »
Indeed.  I took a bath in pure solvent last night, didn't do me any harm, I wonder why :)