Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

www.mrgutters.co.uk

how much is a good amount to earn???
« on: February 25, 2005, 04:59:28 pm »
i know everyone is different ..but what could be a reasonable amount to aim for in a 5 day week residential 1 person..and how many houses is reasonable for an hour? ost of my houses hve 2 bays in the front +a small window above the door..3 windows at the back plus door and is £10 reasonable for such a size house i live in sunbury on thames middlesex (londonish) ??? ???

shawn
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.

AuRavelling79

Re: how much is a good amount to earn???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 06:46:39 pm »
A little more than your wife and kids spend! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

mgcleaning

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 11:42:55 pm »
how much you need to pay the bills + a bit more would be a good starting point I think
Life can only be understood backwards; but most be lived forwards.  
Soren Kirkegaard

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 11:44:06 pm »
That price sounds about right £10 or £12 ish, but it depends how long that takes you?

With a WFP today I was cleaning houses like that in about 15 min so £10 would be ok.

Cheers
Steve

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 07:53:37 am »
£10 is reasonable for a 3 bed semi in the London suburbs.

In fact you get a psycological ceiling at ten pounds because its a nice round figure.
If you quote over a tenner you get a lot more refusals

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 08:38:33 am »
I would agree that in your area, a house of that size you could charge a tenner for. In other parts of the country you would not get away with that.
In my area the average price would be around £7-£8.00.
Time taken with tradition method, including pulling up, cleaning and being loaded back up and ready to move on, about 15-20 minutes.
If you had 30 accounts like this in just a single street, and access was easy to all of them, and the customers didn't keep talking to you or offering you cups of coffee ;D Then you could probably average 4 an hour, but you would have to be going for it.

It isn't often you can be in that sort of position, but with houses of that size you should be able to comfortably do 3 an hour. They are rarely all in the same street, or all next door to one another, so you are going to be loading and unloading your vehicle throughout the day.

But on a full time residential round you are going to have a great many different houses to clean, all of differing sizes, and all sorts of styles of windows, some will be awkward, sloping ground, bushes in the way, narraw paths, difficult parking and so on.
You won't work 8 solid hours per day either, so you can't really say that you will do 4 houses per hour, £10 per house, 8 hours per day (£320 :o I don't think so uncle!)
The reality is of course far less than that. You should be potentially able to earn £100 a day, many will earn a great deal more than that, equally many will earn a lot less.
I've personally had days when I have gone out and only knocked out £30, I might have been late starting, or gassing to a mate, or maybe just couldn't be arsed ;D
Yet again, using trad methods, the average casement window should take around the 90 second mark to clean. Thats from plonking your ladder up against the wall, to starting to walk back down it.

You experienced guys still using trad methods, try a little time and motion study on yourselves and see ;)
Make sure the window you time yourself on is an upstairs one, has one opening light, one pane about 4ft wide and 2ft 6in high and the other opening casement to be about 2ft wide and 3ft 6in high.
you are not to try and emulate 'Turbo Terry', it isn't a race to see how fast you can do it in, its your standard work speed that you are timing. and don't forget to 'detail' the window and clean the sill either 8)

With WFP, the time taken to clean a window is more like 30 seconds, timewise, on a stand alone account of the size you mention there would not be a lot of difference in the total time taken, about 15 minutes from turning up to driving away.
But as the account gets larger, or the windows are georgian, the WFP really hits its stride.

I talk too much, I only came downstairs to check my mail and take a cup of coffee back to bed :-\
It's cold now (I forgot to drink it cos of doing this post! :'()
Gonna make another and have my lie in! It's been a tough old week, what with the bitterly cold weather, so I reckon I've earned the right to get warm and snuggly under the quilt ::) The wife has gone to work, so I can't getted nagged to get up and do some work!! ;D ;D Bliss!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Londoner

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 10:37:35 am »
I think Ian says it all. Just keep your had down beavering away and gradually it all comes togeather. At the end of the week have a count up.

Set yourself the target of earning more each week than you did the week before. As long as you do that then things are going the right way.

You get qucker, and smarter and  keep canvassing and one day (quite soon) you realise that its almost running itself.
Even then always keep trying to beat your previous best.
You set your own targets.

Tussin

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 09:40:50 pm »
Early start to the day is absolutely vital to a decent earning day. Sets you going and as long as you dont fart about in the afternoon you can drive home tired, a little dirty but with a big bulge in your pocket!!!!!!!!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 06:17:56 am »
my missus always likes to see me arrive home with a huge bulge in my pocket ;D I have to fight her off, her hand is in there like a flash, reaching for that bulge :o
She's so good now its gone in seconds :o ...........I am of course refering to the money in my pocket and nothing else 8)

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES