Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M.Acorn

Carpet repairs,anyone do them alongside cleaning ?
« on: September 16, 2008, 04:33:16 pm »
Hello peeps have found out over the years i have been running that there will always be the odd stain or 2 that won`t come out no matter what you put on them  >:(
And then there are always the fAg burns,coal + sparks from open fires etc ! do any of you guy`s and galls do carpet repairs ?
did a job a few weeks back and the custy had had a repair done,where fire had sparked out and burnt a 10p size hole,carpet looked good from a distance ,but close up you could see the patch that had been stuck in.
Is it possible to make it totally invisible ?
i am assuming all the guy did was cut out the burn then trim a new piece to fit the hole a little bigger than the hole and then cut the fibre away leaving a sort of seam which is glued under or stiched back in.
Would like to add this service ,how do you price up jobs like this ? hourly rate or per hole and is it that straight forward ?
What goes around comes around

Jim_77

Re: Carpet repairs,anyone do them alongside cleaning ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:18:27 pm »
There's several common repairs.

It all depends on the type of damage, size of damage and the type of carpet.  It also depends on the customer's expectations & requirements.  Most of all it depends on the economics of the situation, i.e. you wouldn't spend £200 on repairing a 5 year old carpet that cost £300.

The most common way to sort out small things like cigarette burns is to retuft/reweave.  This involves pulling out the affected tufts and replacing them with fresh ones which can either be taken from an off-cut if available, or by pulling up the carpet at the edge and nicking a few from there.

On a tufted carpet you break up the latex between the primary and secondary backing when you do this, so I help to secure the new tufts in place by injecting a small amount of latex adhesive into the carpet with a hypodermic syringe, to stick the layers back together again.  You have to be very careful doing this, not to get the adhesive any higher than the base of the tufts, otherwise you can make a right mess of it!

On woven carpets it's a doddle, easier than tufted IMO.  You just have to re-thread tufts in and that's that, the backing holds them quite securely.  I'd maybe add a bit of latex if it was in a traffic area, just to be on the safe side.

After retufting, the area should be combed up and trimmed with napping shears to level off the new tufts.

There is a problem with this sometimes.  If the new tufts are a lot cleaner than the old tufts it will show up!  Obviously cleaning the repair area will lessen this but if it's in front of a sofa, as it commonly is, you won't get a perfect match.  Also I've done a repair on a belgian wilton right in front of a french door, and the surrounding carpet had faded a bit.  The new tufts, taken from the edge of the carpet, were still the original colour.  The customer was still over the moon, even if I wasn't.

In both cases the area will "blend in" over time, and as long as the customer knows what they're going to get and they are happy with the compromise there's no problem.

Partial inserts are a last resort on tufted carpets when a stain can't be removed.  The primary backing is cut away, thus removing the tufts as well, then a latex bed is placed down on the secondary backing and a matching piece is cut from an off-cut or under a sideboard or something, then grafted in.  I've never done this "live" before, but practised it on scrap carpet a few times.  In cases where I could have used this technique, normally the customer has wanted to go down other avenues if they've ended up with an unmoveable stain.  It does show up , either a little or a lot depending on the carpet, and would not be too durable in a traffic area.  But, for example, if it was a lily pollen spillage next to a fireplace in a part of the carpet that didn't get walked on, it may be viable.

I remember posting a picture a while back, it showed some of my repair kit, got to go out now will have a look see if i can find it in a bit ;)

M.Acorn

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:32:44 pm »
Wow cheers Mr Neal ! very informative post there as usual  :) Think i might get a few scraps of carpet and have a bash at this ! another feather in the hat as such !
Sounds like taking the carpet off the grippers to get to the backing is the way to go,will have to get myself a kicker  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 06:36:44 pm »
Definitely get yourself some scraps and practice away to your heart's content.  Get your technique sorted in a comfortable environment like on your work bench or kitchen table, but do bear in mind that "real" carpets are on the floor and it isn't so comfortable!  Get used to dead legs/arms and pins & needles :D

The methods i described above don't require uplifting the carpet though,  It's all done from the top!

I'll have a look for that picture...

M.Acorn

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 06:42:43 pm »
Even better then ! one of my regulars has spilt an entire glass of red wine on her 100% wool berber,and made no attempt whatsoever at blotting it up,just left it to dry ! got a 4ft square of that coming my way to have a crack at ! not sure why she didn`t call me in the first place,has gone through ins and they are replacing.

Jim_77

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:43:35 pm »
Pictures plus plenty more info in this thread:

www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=58342.0

Also, despite a forum being great for finding out about stuff like this, nothing replaces hands-on training.  If you're serious about adding repairs to your repertoire it'd be well worth a one-day course to give you the confidence and knowledge to start doing this ;)

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:45:43 pm »
Deffo up for training course ! investing quite a bit in the business at the mo so may as well get some training with it !  ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 06:47:05 pm »
ah.. berbers are a bit more tricky and to be honest I've not really acquainted myself too well with them.  You need to use yarn to reweave them with, as obviously the loops are made of a continuous piece of yarn.  A good trick apparently is to use a pencil to pull the loop over, to get a uniform size.

Some berbers obviously have different sized loops, possibly having a few pieces of different thickness dowelling might help there, but like I say I've not really got too much experience with doing looped pile :-\

M.Acorn

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 06:54:11 pm »
No just getting that to practice stain removal on  :) red rx and an iron job ! think it might be past saving but worth a crack ,will be having a go with oxi brite if the rx does not work

Ian Rochester

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 07:07:06 pm »
We've got an ex carpet fitter working for us now on the window cleaning, if ever we get any repairs, refits or full replacements, I just send him over.

He's already done several jobs like this since starting with us in June.

Kane

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:06 pm »
Good post Jim, I was wondering with the secondary backing repair do you need to loop the tuff in under the nylon 1st backing ? or do you just place the tuffs in the missing areas with a dam of latex ?

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 05:10:36 pm »
Wow i e mailed a carpet repair bloke last night ,mainly asking if he covered my area,bit too far for him where i am.But he sent a recent copy of one of his bills !!!  £65 call out + £20 for adhesive + £100 labour ,didn`t mention how many or how big an area he fixed,but that is damm good money ! I need training....Just ordered a new stair tool  ;D had been using a 2inch p/chem upholstery tool,it`s a 4 inch so going to take half the time to clean stairs now ,even better now i have doubled what i charge for doing H.S.L 2 sets and it`s paid for  ;D

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 05:49:26 pm »
Good informative post Jim.

I'm sure you can charge a lot cos it gets people out of expensive trouble. Though not too much call for it is there.

Jim_77

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:31 pm »
Kane - like I said to Mark, no need to touch the secondary backing on a tufted carpet using those methods!

You're right Mike, personally I don't do too much repair work.  Going back to the economics, it's sometimes not worth it, or they'll make do with either living with it or putting a rug over it etc. until the carpet is updated.

Also, most carpet damage is covered by insurance so you're sometimes competing on price with the customer's insurance excess.  The only time you'll be guaranteed they'll take it up is for a small repair when they have a big excess of £100 plus.  But saying that, even if your repair might cost £50 more than their  excess, they might still go for it because of the hassle of making a claim and the fear of their premiums going up next year.  That's how I try to sell it anyway.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 08:54:04 am »
A rule of thumb for small repairs eg re-tuffting holes upto size of 50p piece is 10% of the value of the carpet.

At least this will sort out the people who are genuinely wanting to have a good repair as opposed to cheapskates. After all you are marketing a very specific skill. (And if it's a cheap carpet then it's not going to be worth your time as you should be able to earn higher money from cleaning another carpet in the time you are taking to repair a cheap carpet-unless of course you insist on a minimum charge as well.)

Mind you, like anything, you will probably have to work upto this level of pricing as you level of skill in repairs becomes higher.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way