Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JS2

Carpet Dry Cleaning
« on: February 19, 2005, 08:21:08 pm »
Dear Friends

I've been doing a bit of carpet cleaning over the last 4 years (mainly for friends / work-mates) having bought an EXTRACTA DX with some bigger self-employment intentions at the time (and done the PROCHEM CC Course).  However, the less than certain outlook in my current employment makes me somwhat more serious about reviving my plans to enter the trade.  I guess there's many questions I could ask, but a couple of things stick out in particular:

1.  Is there much point in getting a contra-rotating brush dry-cleaner e.g. Prochem or SEBO for some cleaning jobs - and which, or is my EXTRACTA pretty universal ?

2.  Would a small, lightweight extraction machine usefully complement my 40 kg EXTRACTA (and enable the wife to enter the biz)?

I clearly want to spend money wisely.

Thanks

Pete (JS2)

Ken Wainwright

Re: Carpet Dry Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 12:46:01 pm »
Hi Pete

The Sebo Duo is a great tool to have, and the Prochem Products even better. However, if I was buying new, I would seriously look at the EnviroDry (sp?) equivalents, but regardless of which you go for, I would srongly advise that you buy the soft and stiff brushes as well as the standard. Soft are used for most carpets.

I'm not familiar with the Extracta range, so can't comment, but I am aware of the company's excellent reputaion for quality of machine, performance and back up service.

If I was looking for the most performance from the smallest package, an option worthy of consideration is the Alltec Aqua 40 with all the upgrades. This will give you 2x3 stage vacs and 100psi. This will cost about £1600 They may even have a 135psi pump option.  I don't know the weight of the machine.

My feelings are that the best agitation possible will significantly improve your workrate and quality of work, and this should be your first port of call.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken

Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Dave_Lee

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 01:04:43 pm »
Ken,
Do you ever have any problems when using the host machine, in regard to colour transfer from one carpet to another. In my very early days of cc I had a Von Shrader Carpet Deterger. On one of my early jobs I cleaned an orange/brown carpet and then a cream carpet - you can probably guess what happened. The cream carpet dried out with a noticable orange/brown tinge. This did dissapear following a reclean. If you are agitating different coloured carpets with the Host Brushes, I take it you dont wash them out after every carpet, so is there any sign of transfer of colour or fibres?
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 02:49:09 pm »
Dave

I have encountered this scenario on rare occasions, all pre powered-agitation days. If it were to turn up tomorrow, I'd wash the brushes prior to moving on to another carpet. With my Host machine it takes about 3 seconds to remove the brushes. A quick rinse in a bucket, a "shake and vac" and start up again on my barrier mat prior to continuing work. In reality, this is a rare circumstance that should always be born in mind.

Of course, if I were going straight onto a polyprop carpet, I wouldn't even bother to wash the brushes.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Ian Rochester

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 07:01:56 pm »
Pete,

We have two Extracta Exels, both with Scrubba Delux powerheads as well as wands and to be honest, I never use the wands anymore. 

The best thing you can do is buy a Scrubba Delux or Mini Scrubba for your DX.

The DX will cover all types of job, if you want something smaller and want to stay with Extracta, the Spirit II is an excellent machine and allows you to do solvent cleaning with it as well.

Where are you located.

JS2

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 09:02:32 am »
Many thanks guys

I the colour transfer issue with dry-clean is worth remembering (you can't beat a bit of experience)

Thanks

Pete (JS2)

JS2

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 08:28:53 pm »
Sorry Ian

I forgot to say . .  Canterbury

Pete (JS2)