Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

Had a go at my own sign writing today
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:02:18 pm »
I bought the boss a new machine this week for her hobby of card making and the things it cuts? Card, (obviously)  hardboard, along with a host of other things to long to go into, it engraves and even writes but what caught my eye was that it cuts vinyl so I bought some vinyl from the same company and gave it a bash today and the pictures below shows the Tank I have to fit into my daughters van so Just for a test I put the sign on her tank for her.

Its my very first attempt so go easy on me lol the machine did make a mess of some of the vinyl so I binned that, I have a sneaky feeling that the vinyl supplied is cheap stuff so wouldn't last five minutes out side so I have ordered some 5/7 year stuff from ebay to see if its any better, what do you guy's think??
Shame the boss hasn't had a go on her new machine yet Lol

Ian Lancaster

Re: Had a go at my own sign writing today
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:47:52 pm »
The hard part is getting the spacing right - you need a machine that cuts the characters and then sticks them face side down on to a paper backing so when you take the adhesive protective film off, you just place the whole lot on the vehicle and the letters are in the right places.

Shouldn't cost you more than about 3 grand ;D ;D ;D

jeff1

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:54:10 pm »
when you cut the vinyl you apply your own transfer backing so the characters stay in the right place when you apply them even with the 3 grand machine you have to apply the backing this way.

The hardest part is getting the cutting depth and pressure correct so you don't cut through the backing sheet  :'(

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 08:36:38 pm »
Go to a sign writter, they will make you some up, how many tanks do you need to cover the 3k outlay  :o
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

elite mike

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »
i reckon its a good job there  8)

Central Window Cleaners

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 09:03:08 pm »
i think it  is a great job as this is your first attempt.

As your wife has the machine anyway why not have a play, it is only the cost of a bit of vinyl at the end of the day

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:21:56 pm »
Thanks guy's it will get better as I get better with the software and the settings.

Ian why do I need to go to a sign writers when the boss has a machine  ???

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 09:28:56 pm »
Thanks guy's it will get better as I get better with the software and the settings.

Ian why do I need to go to a sign writers when the boss has a machine  ???
if she already has the machine fair play, I must have misread sorry.

Your spacing was out or was that for affect ?

First attemp very good, my mum makes cards and dolls houses stuff, so could have a play when I am down there next. I could get her to make window cleaning stickers  ;D
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:15:50 am »
The spacing is out a little because I had the machine depth set to deep and it cut all the way through the vinyl and the backing, you should not cut through the backing or you end up having to play around with the text to realign it.

I already made a load of water slide deacal w/c stickers for a couple on members on the other forum, I even sent a load off to the states.

jonnyald

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:31:59 am »
how much do u charge-?

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 10:10:46 am »
I only did it as a test I have no experience in sign making but maybe in a few weeks when I have more experience then who Knows?  ;)

matt

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 10:14:30 am »
thats it

when i am feeling a little more professional i will be down to see you jeff, you can make up the tank frame and put some stickers on my van

i will be all professional looking then and be beating commercial work off with a stick ( or so they say ;))

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 10:43:43 am »
Stay cheap Matt and I'll make you some magnetic ones like the ones on my trailer  ;D ;D

matt

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:20 am »
Stay cheap Matt and I'll make you some magnetic ones like the ones on my trailer  ;D ;D

no no jeff

i fancy some 1 K per day commercial jobs  ;)

i know your plan, keep them all yourself  ;D

Richy L

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 11:08:26 am »
I'm after some vinyl stickers for the back of my car.
If I want
LEEKSONS Professional Cleaning Services
  • Pressure Washing
    Graffiti Removal
    Exterior Cleaning
(PHONE NUMBER)
(PHONE NUMBER)

How much should i looking to pay? In maybe two levels so it stands out, looks like shadowing(if you see what i mean)

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 01:55:07 am »

heathrow100

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 04:08:23 am »
google search and find find the best answer for your needs ;)