Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mgba_78

WFP Help, not a clue?!?
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:50:03 pm »
Hi

I am looking into getting a simple WFP set up for some higher level windows and conservatory roofs, this isnt going to replace how we currently clean with ladders but just to have as an extra.

Now i think a trolley system will be perfect but my issue is how do i purify my water, as i am getting confused as to DI's and RO's?

I live in a hard water area (Nottinghamshire) what would be the best, cheapest and easiest way to do this?

And lastly what sort of water usage will i be looking at, when using a trolley roughly as i am unsure how much water i would use on jobs?

Cheers

Andy
Oooooo that is shiny!!

TennetClean

Re: WFP Help, not a clue?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:31:49 pm »
this isnt going to replace how we currently clean with ladders but just to have as an extra.

Thats what you think now, but once you've used waterfed pole a few times you will throw your ladders in the nearest lake, and wonder why you ever used them at all.

My advice is dont fanny around with trolleys and crap, just get a proper van system.  You will end up getting one in the end anyway - everyone does.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:24:11 am »
You will end up getting one in the end anyway - everyone does.

Yea that's pretty much it.

Go with an RO setup, since you are in a hardwater area, otherwise you spend to much money on DI resin.

Regardless of what system you will get, you need a static RO (in a shed or garage would be best) and a holding tank (preferably IBC 1000l). Transfer pump to whatever you will use during work. Ofcourse with a van system, you can have everything in the van, including the RO and DI vessel.

I'd go for a 300GPD RO, then in future you don't necessarily have to upgrade to a higher capacity RO. After the RO it goes through a small DI vessel to get rid of the last contaminants, so your storage tank will have pure water. With a van system generally speaking the water goes from the RO straight in the tank, then from tank to pump to DI vessel, still get pure water, but a little bit different then a static setup.

A regular semi will use about 20l apparantly (that's what I've been told) Still in the progress of switching over, so it's not from my own experience. So you will have to calculate what you need.

Also with trolley and backpack systems, you need to haul 25l barrels around. With a van system you don't.

Richy L

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:42:21 am »
mgba_78,
I use ladders for the majority of my work, and i have a backpack set up for some jobs i.e. commercial, big leaded houses, high windows, con roofs, etc. So it looks like you need the same thing I use.

I have a shurflo backpack(£160ish) and i use a DI vessel (£80ish)to purify my water.
An "average" 3bed semi will take about 10 ltrs of water when you get used to it maybe 15ltrs to start off.

I used to use a foldable sack trolley (£30 from ebay) to cart the backpack around, but i now find it easier to just carry it and put it down at the front of the building, then carry it around to the back and put it at the back when doing all the backs.

As for con roofs, you dont need to use pure water to clean it if it is a plastic roof - it makes no difference to tap water. If it is a glass roof, then you will need to rinse it after you have cleaned it with pure water with purified water.

hope this helps

Richy

johnny_h

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 05:59:35 pm »
go get a freedom trolly to start with then if you do want to go bigger just add a tank to the back of the van that way you will have best of both worlds dont tie yourself down to a van mounted system purify the water at home and transfer into barrels or the tank
AUDI VIDE TACE

mgba_78

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »
mgba_78,
I use ladders for the majority of my work, and i have a backpack set up for some jobs i.e. commercial, big leaded houses, high windows, con roofs, etc. So it looks like you need the same thing I use.

I have a shurflo backpack(£160ish) and i use a DI vessel (£80ish)to purify my water.
An "average" 3bed semi will take about 10 ltrs of water when you get used to it maybe 15ltrs to start off.

I used to use a foldable sack trolley (£30 from ebay) to cart the backpack around, but i now find it easier to just carry it and put it down at the front of the building, then carry it around to the back and put it at the back when doing all the backs.

As for con roofs, you dont need to use pure water to clean it if it is a plastic roof - it makes no difference to tap water. If it is a glass roof, then you will need to rinse it after you have cleaned it with pure water with purified water.

hope this helps

Richy

Cheers Richy, the majority of con roofs we do are glass which are a pain trad as you know, just trying to speed up the time spent at houses.
Yep will hopefully have a set up like yours going very soon then me thinks!!

this isnt going to replace how we currently clean with ladders but just to have as an extra.

Thats what you think now, but once you've used waterfed pole a few times you will throw your ladders in the nearest lake, and wonder why you ever used them at all.

My advice is dont fanny around with trolleys and crap, just get a proper van system. You will end up getting one in the end anyway - everyone does.

Nope trad alll the way, thats our motto "Windows cleaned the traditional way" we have a very large older customer base who also have big old houses which wouldnt suit WFP due to old frames, infact we have got loads of work from anti WFP customers so why change the way we work, as big headed as it sound we do very very well working off ladders. Plus our running costs per month consist of 10 or so bottles of fairy a month, diesel for the van, and water from the tap, easy no messing.

Andy
Oooooo that is shiny!!

Richy L

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 12:19:06 pm »
wfp will definately speed you up for con roofs. You can do a con roof for about £40 and be finished in 20mins.
If only i had a few of them to do every day!! ;D