Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wfp popularity
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:59:08 am »
Glancing back through some very old posts on here it is obvious that water fed poles are becoming the norm now and so water usage is forever on the increase, i was wondering where will it all end? I'm pretty sure the waterboard has already detected an increase in water usage in my road alone. I've had the guy outside pacing up and down with his headphones on trying to find a leak. Three cubic metres of water a day are being lost which probably equates to my usage allowing for the high rejection rate of an ro unit - he still can't find the source of "the leak". I'm pretty sure all the meters they have installed will give them a pretty good idea of how much extra water is being used in and around the town.

LWC

Re: wfp popularity
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:12:32 am »
start collecting rainwater lol, so we dont spoil it for everyone else

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:19:52 am »
Its only a matter of time before high water usage means everyone will be metered,.. and WFP'ers will gain a bad rep from the media because of it.
Rainwater harvesting is the perfect solution,.. its easy and cheap,.. and will end up saving you money in the long run (Lower resin usage). Get ahead of the game,.. start now,.. and advertise the fact, your custies will love it.

My plans (As soon as I move house,.. should have been done weeks ago!), are for a bank of IBC  tanks (as many as I can get before my missus goes mad!), all plumbed together and feeding through a DI vessel into 1 final "Pure" tank. Then I'm going to add some basic solar heating (A cheapo DIY job,.. but it'll work) to the final tank.

Once it's setup,.. all my stationary, business cards, flyers etc will be changed to advertise my "eco friendly" image. I've seen the results previously with advertising eco friendly carpet cleaning, and they were very good,.. I expect the results from the window cleaning side of things to be even better!

Art

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:29:51 am »
Its only a matter of time before high water usage means everyone will be metered,.. and WFP'ers will gain a bad rep from the media because of it.
Rainwater harvesting is the perfect solution,.. its easy and cheap,.. and will end up saving you money in the long run (Lower resin usage). Get ahead of the game,.. start now,.. and advertise the fact, your custies will love it.

My plans (As soon as I move house,.. should have been done weeks ago!), are for a bank of IBC  tanks (as many as I can get before my missus goes mad!), all plumbed together and feeding through a DI vessel into 1 final "Pure" tank. Then I'm going to add some basic solar heating (A cheapo DIY job,.. but it'll work) to the final tank.
Once it's setup,.. all my stationary, business cards, flyers etc will be changed to advertise my "eco friendly" image. I've seen the results previously with advertising eco friendly carpet cleaning, and they were very good,.. I expect the results from the window cleaning side of things to be even better!

Nath, what's the heated tank for?

Arthur

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 01:45:46 pm »
how much water you going to store whats your average daily use? .what about no rain no work ???
Spit and polish

jampot

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 03:33:54 pm »

Nath, what's the heated tank for?

Arthur

??? ???

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 04:16:24 pm »
Even at 3 cubic metres of water a day, that really isn't very much water at all, someone watering there lawn with a sprinkler will use that much up in an hour or two.
In the summer of 2006 there was a leak in a street I work in, at one point the water board opened (for what reason I have no idea) a main valve and water was gushing like a river down the road.
It was left running for 10 minutes or more and it will have pumped out more water in that time than I'd use in a week!

I'm 100% WFP (well, ok, 98%, Can't use WFP inside after all!) and I can make 650 litres of pure last up to 3 days, my 100 litre IBC will last me close to a week, and that's even with supplying Squeaky with his water too.
So in a busy week my total water consumption (waste + pure) is under 5 cubic metres...it really isn't much.
currently there are about half a dozen WFP users in Chepstow, and as my figure also includes Squeaky's usage, the Chepstow WFP'ers probably don't use more than 20 cubic metres between them.

Compare that to a factory and they'll be using that in an hour, compare it to a brewery or a soft drink manufacturer and it pales into utter insignificance, they go through millions of litres a day.

I'm not sure how much the average household uses in a single day, but add up the 7 or 8 thousand households, and that 20 cubic metres for the towns window cleaners once more will pale into insignificance!

However.....

There has now been quite a few posts and threads concerning the harvesting of rainwater, initially i thought, "What a load of old tosh! (not the slitty eyed one just down the road from me! ;D)"
But it now really does seem to be a very good idea indeed, and in particular if you are on a meter.
I am extremely lucky in that where I live I could stack 1000 litre IBC tanks 2 up, 3 deep and about 10 side by side if I wanted! :o

Jeff Brimble has made some great posts on the subject with regards filtration and so on, at some point I may well consider it, I think it is a great idea.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

xxmattyxx

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 04:26:46 pm »

Compare that to a factory and they'll be using that in an hour, compare it to a brewery or a soft drink manufacturer and it pales into utter insignificance, they go through millions of litres a day.

Using a drinks manufacturer as a comparison is hardly, well, shall we say comparable.

After all theyre making drinking foodstuffs, they get the stuff in, clean it, flavour it, colour it, add fizzy stuff to it, bottle it and send it back out there for you, me and joe-public to consume when we wish. No comparison whatsoever.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 04:31:17 pm »

Using a drinks manufacturer as a comparison is hardly, well, shall we say comparable.

After all theyre making drinking foodstuffs, they get the stuff in, clean it, flavour it, colour it, add fizzy stuff to it, bottle it and send it back out there for you, me and joe-public to consume when we wish. No comparison whatsoever.
comparable I would say yes, they make things that rot your teeth and are not good for the old weight either, we clean window I would take a guess and say they use more water than we do in a week and that us all put together. but you never hreard of people saying about them.

Ian

xxmattyxx

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 04:41:04 pm »
The fact is that however you cut it we have to drink, whether its from drinks manufacturers who simply process water into a different brand than just H20, or if that procedure was denied us we'd just go back to the kitchen tap and use that, either way water is used.

In other words just because it goes through a manufacturers factory doesn't mean anymore is used or wasted.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 04:42:57 pm »
The fact that however you cut it we have to drink, whether its from drinks manufacturers who simply process water into a different brand than just H20, or if that procedure was denied us we'd just go back to the kitchen tap and use that, either way water is used.

In other words just because it goes through a manufacturers factory doesn't mean anymore is used or wasted.
|I am hoping you are joking at that comment  :-\

xxmattyxx

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »
No, explain why it seems I might be.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 05:06:06 pm »
No, explain why it seems I might be.
manufacturers factory doesn't mean anymore is used or wasted

they use a hell of alot more than we do thats got to be a fact, we dont need to drink fizzy drinks thats a luxary is it not.
window cleaning is Medicinal for many people.

Ian

Ian_Giles

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 05:45:21 pm »
The point isn't what the water is used for, it the amount used for whatever process you are considering.
It is the drain on the resources, on the reservoirs and so on.
No water is ever lost, it all ends out in the ground, in the clouds or in the sea.

Vast amounts of water are used in countless areas of our lives, the point is that what we as Window cleaners use is an absolutely piddling amount, add every WFP user in the country together and you won't use as much in a week as a single brewery or car factory or steel works factory or god knows how many other kinds of manufacturers will use in in a single day.

Compared to an average towns total water usage, WFP users will only use a tiny fraction of that total.

That was the purpose in trying to compare water usage.

And as for the water companies own scandalous wastage! What is it? Something like 30%, maybe more, is lost before it even reaches us! :o
And they have the audacity to lecture us about saving water!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

xxmattyxx

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 06:13:10 pm »

And they have the audacity to lecture us about saving water!

Ian

Thats the most valid point IMO.

Drinks manufacturers, no.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 06:15:03 pm »
Most breweries are biult on rivers. Thats strategy.

I have one ibc but would have to consider underground storage for any more. Nathan has it spot on as usual, and in ireland I believe large gardens are the norm and land is cheap. Jeff's approach (and Lewis') is enviromental, I prefer the money side of things and this is defo an open goal.

The organisations that represent us have let this pass them by as a brillant defra mitigating bargaining counter (education, examples of best practice, grants, pilot schemes etc). If brains were gunpowder they wouldn't have enough to blow their hats off.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 06:23:43 pm »

Ian

Next time I fall off my ladder Ill try to remember that just prior to touch-down  ;D

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 06:26:43 pm »

Ian

Next time I fall off my ladder Ill try to remember that just prior to touch-down  ;D
I meant for the customer, money is medicinal for me, and ladders not anymore if I can help it.

Adam Boss

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 07:13:19 pm »
wait untill we have a drought and you can't use WFP, I am trad and WFP so if the S**T hits the fan then I am covered, I could trad all day long  no problem if in a drought situation.
My advice is learn the ladder and trad method for emergencey situations.
Same for frozen mornings, I trad away at 7am with warm water no problems. 20 years and no probs as yet.
 ;D ;D
EST: 1988

Ian W

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 07:31:26 pm »
I am not anti-wfp, but if it comes down to a large manufacturer or lots of small window cleaning businesses, guess which will lose?

With all the spin in politics today, the politicians are not going to risk a big media story about the shutting down of a factory due to water shortages.

Anything that shows we are saving and using water responsibly has to be a good thing.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens