Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

supernova77

Silly cheap prices
« on: January 05, 2008, 09:28:17 am »
Hi All,

I popped into my local chinese take-away last night and there was a carpet cleaning  leaflet pinned to the notice board... The leaflet in itself actially looked quite pro.

However - The prices were really cheap... As an example it said:

Lounge (12 x 12) = Normal price £18 - Offer price £9!

Their minimum charge for anything was £9.

Do people actually fall for stupidly low prices and expect a good quality job?

Andy

Dennis

Re: Silly cheap prices
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:45:51 am »
Do people actually fall for stupidly low prices and expect a good quality job?

Of course they do, and have done for the 18 years I've been in this business and probably have since the first carpet cleaner started with price as their unique selling point. ;)

They may get a quality job, he may be good at cleaning carpets but does not know his cost of doing business, he may be part time and happy with a bit of beer money. Who knows?

Edit: I've been in business 18 years not 28 - it just feels like 28!  ;D

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 10:59:04 am »
Don't get involved or even worry about it.............. i value what i do too highly to haggle over costs ......... luckily i do not get very many priceshoppers since going 'green'  ::)

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:00:41 am »
So what does going 'green' entail Chris?
John

carpet guy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:05:54 am »
Supporting Celtic !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding..............Chris should be admired for his determination and drive, in following his personal belief and being successfull where most fail.

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:26:38 am »
Steady on carpetguy ........... people will start thinking we are related or something.

Just using detergent free cleaning products .......... this lead to a 'green' business award in 2006 and has now lead to 2 in 2007 ............... this in turn, has lead to many enquiries via eco web searches and off the publicity in papers and websites.

Got interview next week with editor of Cleaning Matters, for little spread in magazine....... these are read by us but also by office managers and members of the public.......... got 3 domestic enquiries from last bit in NCCA Newslink and i thought that only went out to members. ( Handy little tip would be to leave finished copies in doctors/dentist surgeries  ;) )

It seems that people want this type of service and do NOT expect to save money when getting it  :)

bennymon

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 11:28:40 am »
got a call thursday a woman wanted a quote for a lounge and stair case i said £80  she said she had a leaflet offering the whole house for £42  so i told her to call it then . some people £42 pounds and still looking for cheaper.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 11:51:31 am »
You do run the risk of talking that lady into spending £80 and then the job turns into the worst day ever ........ she thinks she will get a new carpet for that price and will scour the area for any reason not to pay.

Once people mention the words "that's a bit dear" or "i had a leaflet" .......... i simply say "SORRY I CANNOT HELP YOU, GOODBYE"

Bennie25

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 12:03:24 pm »
Chris, do you really let a customer go like that? do you not attempt to educate them that they be better off paying more and why you cost more etc. ?

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 12:16:37 pm »
Prefer to spend my time on the ones already 'educated' ....................... they are keeping busy as many days as i choose to work and without the headaches  ;)

Dave_Lee

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:06:14 pm »
Quote today,
Elderly couple, nice bungalow, wanted a small lounge carpet, and small Dralon Suite cleaning. Straight away showed me usual cheap leaflet with only a mobile tel number. I told them I clean rugs for more than they quoted for a full house. Anyway, I quoted £170.. after explaining that was with a 33% local discount (Which it was) but the good thing was, there's no vat to pay.
Snatched  my hand off, booked in for next week. These cheap leaflets can work in your favour, as it gives you the perfect oportunity to explain why they really shouldnt use THEM. If you started to slag other CCs off without the initiation of the customer, it makes you look unprofessional.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Doug Holloway

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 03:16:27 pm »
Hi Guys

I too have found the green market much less price sensitive, people are used to paying more for organic food etc.

This year I'm really going to develop my Green Carpet Cleaning websites.

As for the ridiculous prices they will always exist and mop up a lot of the less desirable work.

Cheers

Doug

carpet guy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 03:36:41 pm »
There will always be cheap ...............carpet cleaners
                                                          driving instructors
                                                           hairdressers
                                                           landscapers, etc, etc,

the only problem with them, is they tend to be the easiest to find, so make sure prospects are aware of your existence.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 03:38:08 pm »
Never slag off the competition ...........never compete on price either .......... my level of service is worth paying good money for  ;D