Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colinyates

45ft Tucker
« on: December 07, 2007, 07:24:06 am »
Hi Guys

Can anybody give me there views on a 45ft Tucker, The new one Ive been offered has the old clamps
and Im a bit concerned about the weight at 6.8klg.
Ive worked with the superlite1 but encountered more fractures then what Barry Sheen had.

Superlite 2 looks the biz but I need clarifiation that I wont be buying another Barry.

Cheers

Colin 

Alex Gardiner

Re: 45ft Tucker
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:46:17 am »
The Tucker is a very strong pole but the old style clamps are fiddly. As to the weight, depends how strong you're feeling!

(The SL2 uses a completely different weave structure to the SL1 and as a result is much tougher).

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:37:25 am »
I have never held a Tucker but I do know that I wouldnt want to use a 45ft pole that weighs over 6kg. I use a SL-2 ( Super-lite 2 ) and it weighs 1.8kg at 45ft and becasue its so light it can be used at nearly 50ft for an avergae height person. I can use it over 50ft because I'm tall, Luke

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Super-Lite_Poles.html

go have a look at the endurance videos and the one pictured on the website is my own SL-2, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:47 am »
Colin, you won't have that problem with the SL-2, its a very tough pole. Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

colinyates

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:57:06 am »
Thanks Luke

Im certainly swaying towards the SL2 I was just a bit concerned after the problems with the SL1.
I personally wouldnt be using the Tucker but I have to think of my staff.
Thanks for your views also Alex.

Colin

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:21:39 am »
I run Tucker, the poles are the bizz but in my oppinion the 45ft is heavy.

Old_Master

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 09:18:47 am »
PROS and CONS
Aluminium will outlast carbon fibre by years
Their are Tucker poles in use that are ten years old
The SL2 is much lighter
The SL2 is easier on the operator in good weather conditions
The Tucker can be used when its windy
The SL2 cannot be used when its windy
The weight of the Tucker aids the contact of the brush on windows
The SL2 joining system is fiddely and not ideal for employees
The Tucker has its tubing inside the pole
The SL2 has tubing on the outside
The Tucker is easier to adjust in height
The Tucker brush is far superior in quality
The Tuckerpole will withstand items being put on it inside the van
Its unlikly the SL2 would withstand rough treatment.

Davew

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 09:26:48 am »
If it's for you then S2 if it's for an employee then who cares, give them the most robust pole on the market.

Old_Master

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:48:21 am »
If they were vehicles
The Tucker would be a Land Rover and the SL2 would be a Smart car
both good in their own right but with differing uses.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 10:05:59 am »
PROS and CONS
The SL2 is much lighter

That's why I tend only to use the SL2 on certain jobs Glyn.  For most of my work I use a pretty light 18 ft Extender glass pole (bought from you).  It may only last about 9 months but it's pretty cheap so costs no more in the longer term.  I need the lightness as I was having problems with one of my shoulders while using a heavier pole.  New poles are easier to obtain than new shoulders.  Probably a lot cheaper too when taking lost time off work into account.   I do like the durability of aluminium poles and do keep one aside with a cladding brush for the odd occasions when I get cladding, facia, or soffit to clean.  The extra weight can sometimes be a plus as you point out.  The modular aspect of the SL2 does make it inappropriate for most of my work but I bought it for the occasional window that I find impossible with other poles and for a particular job where I need height and lightness.  I am anticipating getting other jobs where I need height and lightness but even if I don't get any of those I have currently quoted for, I'm sure it will be useful for any future jobs I get like that.
As you say, there are pros and cons to pole selections and the operator's physical durability is as much part of that selection process as the pole's durability.  I feel a bit of a wimp really.  I'm 6 ft 1", very beefy (read fat), yet my 50 year old body isn't up to the daily rigours of using heavier poles.   

Davew

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 10:11:37 am »
Probably more landrover against Lotus Elise to put it into perspective. ;)
Or Harley Davidson and Yamaha R1.

Old_Master

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 10:23:56 am »
50 year old body isn't up to the daily rigours of using heavier poles
And yet Con who is 54, 5'7" and 12 stone will only choose to use a 48' PowerPole even on first floor windows you saw his negative reaction to the SL2 yesterday!

Davew

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 10:48:53 am »
Really depends on what type of work you do,  I use my S2 a lot for difficult domestic over conservatory windows and some enclosed commercial jobs. I tried to raise an extended Tucker at forty feet from horizontal and couldn't do it. I thought the clamping system was crude - you had to have a special tool to lock the clamps and the bend in the pole incredible. Overall the pole looked indestructable but so is a scaffold pole! I had a Superlight 1 and it was a delight but far too fragile really. I now have the S2 with no problems so far but even though it's a huge improvement over the S1 it will never be as robust as a metal pole. Once you get the tucker vertical i'm sure it's fine but in my opinion thats the only position its comfortable in.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 12:08:59 pm »
50 year old body isn't up to the daily rigours of using heavier poles
And yet Con who is 54, 5'7" and 12 stone will only choose to use a 48' PowerPole even on first floor windows you saw his negative reaction to the SL2 yesterday!

Yes I know.  I don't know how that guy does it Glyn.  It's not as if I'm unused to heavyish manual work myself either.  I believe that in part, my shoulder issue stems from using a metal pole at awkward angles that make it feel heavier.  I've been OK with it when using it at "normal" angles.  I've even seen Con use a 36' metal pole on ground floor windows to save trotting back to the van for a short pole  :)  .  Rather him than me.  IMO metal poles are fine unless awkward angles are needed so long as the operator is reasonably fit.  I don't regard myself as being particularly fit.

colinyates

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 01:00:29 pm »
PROS and CONS
The SL2 is much lighter
Cheers Glynn
I have to consider how rubust the pole will be as  Africans cant half break things. (Even Tonker toys)
Saying that they are strong lads so the Tucker could be the answer.

Colin