Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Customers feeling the pinch
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:56:19 pm »
I have noticed over the last few months that some customers are definetly feeling the pinch.
I don't do many in social housing, but it's here that it's been felt the worse.
I have lost quite a few this year. They have just stopped having their windows cleaned. Single parents seem to be the hardest hit, I had two customers yesterday that asked me to leave them this time because they are skint. What can you say, I feel quite sorry for them.
Is this happening where you guys work too?
I dread to think the debt they must be getting into this Christmas.
The poor are getting poorer in my neck of the woods, how about you? Dai

Re: Customers feeling the pinch
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:59:27 pm »
Thankfully we haven't lost any customers through this,although the interest rate has caused a minor recession, BUT, we haven't picked up any new customers through our leaflet drops for a few months now, the same leaflet style that has never failed to bring in new customers previously.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:31:52 pm »
I have lost a few this year because of money worries, but then I have picked up loads, all in all some just dont care they just want clean windows.

Davew

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 08:32:27 pm »
One in four of us have unmanageable debt according to the news today. Hardly suprising really when you see how everyone lives on credit these days.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:58:17 pm »
One in four of us have unmanageable debt according to the news today. Hardly suprising really when you see how everyone lives on credit these days.
ssshh, dont tell my wife  ;) getting another system soon  ;D

steve m

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:17:46 pm »
I think it depends on where you are. I'm averaging three new customers a week, and thats without advertising. Just bought a round and I dont think anyone round here cleans the frames

Jago

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:25:34 pm »
I have had one go abroad  for a couple of months and on another level another 3 OAP's ask to be done every other month as skint and I am the cheapest cleaner around that area as the old boys are just damn greedy
can not blame the OAP's as It is getting colder and the price of gas and petrol etc etc is just maddening they got to stay warm
To Do Is To Dare

xxmattyxx

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:32:50 pm »
Havent lost one in ages, that I recall anyway: picked up £70.00 from 3 new ones in the last 24hrs.

Thinking of losing some, but dont really know where to start, cant think of any really to be honest that I want to get rid of. Maybe Im just too used to doing some and dont see any negatives in them, which would probably be seen with fresh eyes.

Matt

Jago

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:35:05 pm »
where you from Matt
hee hee  ;D
To Do Is To Dare

xxmattyxx

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:32 pm »
where you from Matt
hee hee  ;D

Hampshire

Jago

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 09:46:18 pm »
Trip down the M3 for me lol
OK I am skint and trying to build up my work can you all tell
 ;D ;D ;)
regards
To Do Is To Dare

Dick

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:02:15 pm »
Funnily enough I was feeling a little 'down' as I seem to have lost customers recently through a variety of reasons, like,-'can you leave until spring', 'it's going to rain' etc. It's difficult to say too much but only hope for new customers to replace them.
After cleaning for three years on a small round I increased the number of customers quite rapidly but all of a sudden seem to be losing them.
I think I'll use this reduction to my advantage at this time of the year and to expand again in the spring with customers closer to where I already work rather than too spread out, as the cost of diesel is continuing to rise.
I don't find that leafleting on it's own is a very positive way of getting new accounts, I don't get any calls from any I've delivered.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 10:41:20 pm »
I have lost maybe 5 or 6 in recent months due to financial concerns but it's a lot less than the work I've gained.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 08:41:12 pm »
Well, that definately deserves an whoops!!

Wheres the whoops!! emoticon?

These kind of threads on here make me think somewhat, when Im bored sh!tless at work  ;D  ;D

Think if this kind of change continues then it'll certainly help to:

a) sort the men from the boys

b) allow all the beer-money brigade in

c) open the door for the Eastern European crowd

d) we may have to expect a cut in wages/work more for our money/become more efficient/lay off staff.

Any other ways this may effect the trade?

Matt

In all honesty, for myself, Ive not been affected in the above stated manner; I'm picking up work, lots of lately (through recommendations, ads in the Local Parsih Mag, Car advertising, Uniforms) but if it does come to bite I have every confidence in being able to maintain my current income, every confidence.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 08:43:30 pm »
Well, that definately deserves an whoops!!

Wheres the whoops!! emoticon?

These kind of threads on here make me think somewhat, when Im bored sh!tless at work  ;D  ;D

Think if this kind of change continues then it'll certainly help to:

a) sort the men from the boys

b) allow all the beer-money brigade in

c) open the door for the Eastern European crowd

d) we may have to expect a cut in wages/work more for our money/become more efficient/lay off staff.

Any other ways this may effect the trade?

Matt

In all honesty, for myself, Ive not been affected in the above stated manner; I'm picking up work, lots of lately (through recommendations, ads in the Local Parsih Mag, Car advertising, Uniforms) but if it does come to bite I have every confidence in being able to maintain my current income, every confidence.

Good On you Matty  ;)