Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

keith b

dry cleaning
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:29:30 pm »
Hi all,

Has anyone on this forum used a machine like the "Espirit 2" - i think made by Extracta or Von Schrader, for cleaning carpets using dry cleaning fluid that is heated in the machines tank?

Is this way of cleaning any good for all types of carpets or upholstery/curtains etc.

maxcarpets

Re: dry cleaning
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:25:21 pm »
Curtains yes, carpets you would probably die before you finished a lounge!

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:37:21 pm »
Some Ninjas have a solvent kit on them the hot water tank has a coil inside that circulate solvent and heats it up.

Curtains and silk rugs maybe. Why would you use it if you can wet clean something?

It's less effective, eco dodgy and expensive.

lands

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 09:07:06 pm »
Went on a training course at Amtech recently and Mr D Bolton demonstrated using a hand held steamer for curtains and was very impressed with the result

maxcarpets

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:18:19 am »
No fear of custy watching over your shoulder once you put your gas mask on, there off!

Kev Loomes

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:06:13 am »
Why would you want to spend LOADS of money on vast amounts of dry cleaning fluid (which you will need), rather than water (HWE) which cost nothing and does a far better job  ???

Obviously there are other 'dry' or LM methods which are better and more effective than fluid, if thats the route you want to go down, its worth considering all options!

Cheers

Kev

Joe H

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:10:01 am »
Hi all,
Has anyone on this forum used a machine like the "Espirit 2" - i think made by Extracta or Von Schrader, for cleaning carpets using dry cleaning fluid that is heated in the machines tank?
Is this way of cleaning any good for all types of carpets or upholstery/curtains etc.
I think the Espirit is a Von Scrader machine and more specifically for upholstery. Cleans but not overly wet as COULD be the case with HWE

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 11:42:08 am »
LM instead of dry cleaning where possible

keith b

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 12:38:10 am »
To be honest guys, I was thinking about buying the Espirit, and then using dry cleaning fluid to clean dried-on mattress stains because of the low moisture angle, is this the way to go?

Can you buy those carpet sponge/granuals to use instead, and then vacuum up? would this be a better option? or is this method only suitable damp mattress conditions?

Doug Holloway

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 08:07:05 am »
Hi Keith

Water is a wonderful solvent, very effective, cheap and safe.

Dry cleaning solvents are largely ineffective, dangerous and expensive.

I would advise if you are going to go the mattress route , that you HWE and dry.

Cheers

Doug

keith b

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 08:22:28 am »
Doug,

Please correct me if Im wrong, but to clean a mattress with the HWE method would be difficult to get dry quickly if I was offering a Allergy Cleaning Mattress service alongside?

Whan you say DRY, what method of drying do you mean?

Joe H

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 08:43:03 am »
Keith
Mattresses are like settees etc, they are different to carpets.
Carpets are usually relatively thin compared to mattresses and settees which have quiet a bit of soft spongy type stuff on the inside that, unfortunately, holds water. Thats why settees etc take longer to dry naturally then carpets. A mattress is similar to the settee.
but inevitably moisture is needed to clean them, as Doug says water is pretty good, cheap and safe.
Do a pre vac with a cleaner that has a beater bar that will help lift loose "dirt" and all the other nasties you know are in their.
Use some pre cleaning fluid (which will be water based), follow instructions for agitation and dwell time, then extract.
You now have a damp-wet mattress depending on how much moisture you laid down and how much you sucked up.
Lots of dry strokes with the extraction machine will help, towelling and any other form you can muster up.
Mattress cleaning is not something I would strongly offer but if you are up for it and you have a market - go for it.

keith b

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 11:26:48 am »
Joe, thanks for the info on the cleaning method using HWE etc, on reflection its probably the most thorough way of cleaning compared to other methods.

In fact you guys have given me a idea on a possible way to speed up the drying process!

I don`t want to say too much or how just yet, but Im going to contact the patents office to see if anyone has come up with a simular idea/contraption.

Watch out Dragons Den!

Thanks everyone for your input!

keith

Joe H

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 12:45:06 pm »
We wait with interest!

keith b

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 01:49:07 pm »
Joe,

In your experience, how long does a settee take to dry naturally? and can you recommend a make/model of a pre-vac with a beater?

keith

Joe H

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 02:36:48 pm »
If I am starting a suite clean say at 9am, I tell the client there is a good chance it will not be fully dry that day.
It might FEEL dry, but that is on the surface. Big lumps of sponge, so its going to take time.
Of, course, if you have a air blower them this will help in the drying process.
If you hav'nt got one your stuck.

Home-Tek do a hand held vacuum cleaner, "Hunter", with rotating brush for about £40, cheaper on Ebay. I use for suites and stairs. Get away with it on a bed but bit small. Sebo BS36 or Kirby for beds, that type of machine.