Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mrs Nicholls

holiday pay tool
« on: October 16, 2007, 12:45:52 pm »

J. Deans

Re: holiday pay tool
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:45:16 am »
Great little tool.
For full-time employees!

The problem is they are making things too easy by doing the calculations for you, without explaining the method.

I employ part-time staff and have always used the government guideline of 1/5th of annual full-time entitlement per day worked. So, for example, an employee that works for 2 days per week gets 6 days holiday pay.

Now the entitlement has gone up to 24 days the same employee would be entitled to 9.6 days @ 2/5ths.
However, when using the calculator tool, it returns an entitlement of 8.5 days!

How did it come up with this figure?
Do I continue to follow government guidelines, or do I rely on this tool and hope that I am still within the 'Part-time workers (Prevention of less favourable treatment) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002/2035) act?

Joe H

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:13:08 am »
I can see how you get 9.6 days for 24 days/year entitlement....

but cannot see how you get 6 days for 20 d/y ......... I reckon its 8 or am I completly lost?

Mrs Nicholls

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:06:32 pm »
Have you worked it out for staff that started before the new entitlement?

say they started in may, they would have the old entitlement from may - end sept then new entitlement oct-may, .....thats if your hol year runs from when they started.

thats how i do mine....not sure otherwise

Kevin White

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:48:20 pm »
As most of our staff are part time and get contracts for say, 10 hrs per week or 16 hrs, I calculate mine as follows. This can help when working out half way through a holiday year for leavers, new starters etc.

(No. of basic hrs) x (No. of weeks) x (0.077)

Therefore a 10 hr per week person, 2 per day mon to fri, leaving after 6 months would be.

(10) x (26) x (0.077) = 20 hrs or two weeks.

This is on the 20 days per year and just needs adjusting.

Regards
Kevin

For 24 days per ie. to march 09 multiply by (0.092) and for 28 days, (0.108).

The same person under the 28 day scheme should have 14 days in 26 weeks.

(10) x (26) x (0.108) = 28hrs, 14 days.

Hope this is of use.
BE A WINNER
coming 2nd means you were 1st to LOSE

J. Deans

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 11:31:26 am »
Thanks Guys.

Our holiday year runs from 6th April to 5th April (Just to keep things simple)
So yes Lisa, you are right. The calculator takes into account the previous holiday entitlement as well as the new entitlement and varies depending on the date you you enter as the starting point.

Joe: I do appologise. We work on constuction sites and they never work bank holidays. Our part-time staff don't have set days of work, so their contract excludes bank/statuatory holiday payments. I should have realised this and said 2 fifths of 15 days instead of 20.

Now I assume it is 2 fifths of 19 days?
That now works out to 7.6 days per year!
So, the calculator must take bank holidays into account. Again, no good for my circumstances!

Has anyone tried using the calculator for days worked and then the actual hours worked? It varies again!
It seems that more accuracy can be gained by using the 'hours' worked option - but then why have a 'days' worked option? What is a day in hours?

That's my point, it doesn't tell you how it works it all out...

J. Deans

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 12:45:51 pm »
Incidentally, from April 2009 the holiday entitlement goes up again - to 28 days per year!