Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris R

Using a generator - recoil ? New
« on: October 24, 2004, 08:34:47 pm »
Staffordshire

Len Gribble

Re: Using a generator - recoil ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 08:47:35 pm »
Chris

Why us a generator when there is a conversion kit available from the sig lighter in the van.

Len 
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Dynafoam

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 08:54:43 pm »
Chris,

Nice to see an enquiring mind at work.

However you would need a more powerful generator that the 3.5KW one on Ebay.

Consider that a single 13 amp socket can theoretically supply 2.99KW and the Recoil requires two of these, plus a third for a heat exchanger if used and you get an idea of the sort of capacity you would require.

I would suggest that if you require this facility on a regular basis that an entry-level TM would be a better choice, or if the portability is required due to access problems, then there is a diesel-powered portable available.*

* http://www.amtexequipment.com/portable.htm

Len Gribble

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 09:09:31 pm »
Chris

My Ninja has two power leads, haven’t stopped using it last week, then my tm runs out of power  :( :(and have to recharge, need to look a this when I have the time

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

alan_lewis

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 09:48:44 pm »
Hello Chris

For gennies, check out www.edgetechnology.co.uk

Alan

Dynafoam

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 09:54:53 pm »
Chris,

Both these would fit the bill, at a much greater cost than two long extension leads.  (Baneclean TM users seem to cope.)

Dave Parry

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 10:43:31 pm »
I dont understand the logic in this question, you dont want a proper t/m but want to fill your van with generators and all the other kit you'll need. You would need 2 of the ones on ebay, just think of the noise and heat produced, plus same from the recoil. you would also not have instant heat but have to wait for the water to heat up. Even a entry level t/m would be a better solution than this.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 10:54:36 pm »
If well kitted out you could get a Rascal sooty van and put a recoil in there with water tanks and kit and have a 100 foot extension lead. If you think it's a long way to your cleanable item get van put it under your arm and put it down where you want it to be! that's the beauty of a sooty van!

Shaun

Dynafoam

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 11:02:53 pm »
Dave,

Once again I find myself in agreement with you - although diesel trains use the engine to provide electricity for the motors that drive them, that is only because the power can be distributed between many wheels.

To use an internal combustion engine to produce electricity  to power am electric  cleaning machine is inefficient use of fuel - it makes more sense to either use the engine to drive the blower/pump or to use the mains electricity.

Chris does however deserve credit for exploring the possibility.

Dave Parry

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 11:50:42 pm »
John, you dont have to apologise for agreeing with me ;D ;D, and I didnt mean to sound as if I was knocking chris. I was just imagining the racket this set up would make.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

ashplays

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 06:33:20 am »
i looked into this as i use two seahawk portys from hydramaster which i leave in my rascal  and i worked out i would need to tow a bloody big geny to power them the heaters are 200 watts alone then two 3 stage vacs  and a 500psi pump which has a big motor u would need lot power and if u didnt get it right u prob melt the plugs !!!! some these high spec portys are border line 3 phase elec feel how hot the plugs can get in a house

Nigel_W

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 07:18:05 am »
Chris,

I can't understand where access to electrical power points would be so difficult. If you can't get your van near to the property you can just take the Recoil off and wheel it to the door. Or am I missing the point?

Nigel

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 08:52:23 am »
Ive thought about getting a generator for fetes and Country Fairs but decided I could not afford or justify expense when I realised the size of generator required.

If your hoses are aprox 150 feet what is wrong with extension lead.

Ed Valentine

Re: Using a generator - RECOIL-3HP ?
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 03:30:36 pm »
Interesting question.

Although some Professional Cleaners here in the States run their System using a generator, more do not. Instead, they run long extension electrical cords.

When I owned a Carpet Cleaning business in the seventies, we had 11 trucks running and never used a generator. Why? Because I felt that if we could lay out 100-150 feet of hoses, why couldn't we also do the same with cords?

In the end, this was never a problem (here in the States) and was very cost effective (more profitable) in regards to the bottom line--something the Bank & I really appreciated.

"Convience" is something we usually pay for, and this can sometimes be a very good thing; or  it may not be to our advantage in added benefits; on the other hand, in terms of this on-going (overhead) cost. However, it is strickly a personal element.

Good Fortune to allBrits;
Ed Valentine
Cross-American Corp.

lee_gundry

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 07:37:12 pm »
running cost for a truckmount

1 hr running time costin fuel  approx £3.00   money earned  approx £100.00
maintance  per 50 hr                          £6.00   money earned  approx £5000.00

total cost per 50 hours of use                      £156.00
total income from 50 hr of truckmount          £5000.00

plus you use a lot less detergent/prespray using a truckmount
you get a lot more work
you can do a lot more work

my thoughts on this is a very good return

Lee G

cumbria

Fintan_Coll

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 11:21:19 pm »
I can imagine you would a very powerful generator to drive any high powered portable or electric truckmount, personally I cannot see any great benefit unless you are working somewhere  without electricity. Long , strong extention leads would seem to be a better idea.

peter_collins

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 06:55:26 am »
I think Lee has hit the nail on the head!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 10:22:13 am »
If you are able to generate as much work as Lee and obtain his hourly rate the cost of a truckmount is insignificant .