Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mykeie

cleaning upvc window frames
« on: September 06, 2004, 06:36:42 pm »
i have just moved to a new house and the upvc windows have not had a good clean for a while and the frames look dull and drab, can anyone tell me what is the best product to clean the frames with to bring some life and shine back?
thanx
mike

Rob_Mac

Re: cleaning upvc window frames
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 10:47:24 pm »
Ive bought every kind of upvc cleaner there is and I have to say Cif cream cleaner does as good a job as anything

mykeie

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 10:55:05 pm »
thanks for that ill give it a go  ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 11:07:29 pm »
stick it in an old squeezy bottle of some description so if your using for a customer they dont know how cheap it is

replacement

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 11:12:44 pm »
Cif is abrasvie i would not use it if i was honest.

Midas Enterprise hope none of your customers are reeading that  ::)

Justin

Rob_Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 11:18:06 pm »
It s only very mild and i have to say I knew it was abrasive but ive never seen visible scratching when using it

dave_carroll

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 01:49:53 am »
thats cos you're as blind as a bat  ;D

numptybly knees indeed  >:( (see other thread that this liar posted  ;))
         dave
swamps

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 11:02:09 pm »
Ignore recommendation to use Cif - out in the sun too long yesterday, burn me in hell, I'm a bad window cleaner. If there is a non abrasive remedy then I'm up 4 that. Couldnt sleep last nite giving bad advice. It wont happen again

karlosdaze

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 01:45:41 am »
http://products.compare-online.co.uk/HG_Powerful_Garden_Furniture_Cleaner_750ml.htm

Scroll down, & look at the garden furniture cleaner. This is what I use.
Did see this as well, but haven't used it:-

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=3143

bigToe

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 04:33:43 am »
I spent a fullday cleaning all mine with cif and one of those sponges with a scratchy side for doin the dishes i scraped out some of the grotty looking silicone and replaced it with new now all the windows look like new. and ageezer down the road  asked who replaced my windows cos he was looking for a company to replace his.

Doug_Redfarn

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 09:20:15 am »
A good polish to clean plastic is a German product called MER. Not cheap, but really brings plasics, like that used on a Caravan for instance, up a treat.

If you have scratched plastic, another good product is 'Novus' V.Expensive for its size, but will remove those disfiguring type scratches for instance on a cabinet, transparent screen, mobile phone case & display area, etc easily. Its a 3 stage product.

John Walker

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 10:24:36 am »

I treated some badly stained and marked white upvc frames with car restoration products.  Started by giving them a good wash then used T-Cut followed by a coat of polish - looked like new.  Were still looking good 3 months later when we moved but don't know the long term effect.
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

Duke

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 08:33:25 pm »
anybody tried liquid sander (as used to clean gloss painted door frames and skirtings) ? It certainly brings them up nice ! (door frames that is, not tried it on plastics, but there's no reason why it shouldn't ! )

kevk

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 10:26:17 pm »
Yep give Mer a go its, the dogs,, wouldnt use anything else been, using it on my cars for years,unbeatable stuff but shop around for best price
Kev