Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ALEXDH

Cash,Credit cards or cheque
« on: October 12, 2003, 04:20:17 pm »
How do you normally get paid gentleman.

All the best

Alex

Mike Halliday

Re: Cash,Credit cards or cheque
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 05:33:15 pm »
I've found as my prices have gone up I'm getting less cash payments. if your average job price is £35 then you'll usually get paid in cash but if you're getting over £80ish average job price then you'll get cheques.

I was  thinking of telling customers i don't take cheques for less than £50 becuse it was getting hard to hide it from the Tax man ;)but I've just gone limited so now it does'nt matter.

I don't take credit cards.

Mike

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

ALEXDH

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 05:48:39 pm »
Thanks for the info.

What i have been thinking of is something like the below link.

http://www.streamline.com

My unexperienced logic is if someone has a messup they may not have the cash to pay straight away.

I am a ebayer now and again and have a had a few cheques bounce on me too.

I could look more attractive being able to take cards.

Whats your opinion , am I making the typical newby mistake and thinking too deeply about all this.

All the best

Alex

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 06:14:57 pm »
I've been asked about credit cards twice in the last 3 years, ,most cheques now come with a £200 cheque Gaurantee card so thiers no problem.

One good thing about credit cards is they make you look more established & reputable

what sort of customer are you aiming for? don't aim for the budget customer who can't afford  to pay when they have a mishap.

in some ways you're thinking too much about the little things. Don't worry;

you'll do the job...

then they'll pay you...

either cash or cheque ...

no problem ;)

mike

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

ALEXDH

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 06:27:13 pm »
cheers , thanks for the advice. ;D

I'll put that on the backburner for now, although i agree with you thought it may make me look more professional. 8) 8)

All the best

Alex

Nigel_W

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 07:23:06 pm »
Just to be different Alex - I actually give nearly all my clients an account. The invoice is despatched the day after the job is done and I await the cheque :o

Works really well for me but not sure I would recommend it in many situations in this business.

The software I use for running my business offer a merchant account to allow clients to pay bills online by credit card/switch etc. I really liked the idea but thsy wanted 5% for the pleasure. Born and bred in Yorkshire so you know what happened to that idea!!!

Nigel

Derek

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 10:12:52 pm »
Hi

All of my payments are made either by cash or cheque... in all the years I have been working I have only had one cheque bounce.... the lady was so embarrassed she brought the cash round the same evening.

Like Mike I have only been asked if I take Credit cards twice.

Unlike Mike I do put through all cash and sleep very soundly at nights.
I have worked for many Tax and VAT inspectors over the years and you don't usually find out what they do for a living ... they are a cagey bunch

The Tax people also can take one figure from your accounts and tie it up with a guide reference book...if the rest of the figures don't add up you get a visit from the Collector of taxes...not nice.

This happened to me when I moved away from Contract Cleaning and dispensed with all my part-time staff.. they wanted to know why the staff has disappeared?

Regards
Derek