Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Gordon Saunders

Detailing
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:35:10 pm »

Guys (and gals)
   When trad cleaning i always detail every window. I have read on here and other forums that some rarely detail windows . How is this done ? I am talking domestics here . i use a dog eared chanel and gg but always seem to leave small lines around the edge of the windows which needs detailing . i change rubbers regularly so if anyone can shed light on detail free window cleaning i would be very grateful

Gordon

Re: Detailing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:38:06 pm »
I used to have that prob and taught myself to use less water and not to mop right up to the edge of the glass I leave about a 1 cm gap.
Cut's down loads on detailing

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:40:42 pm »
i leave a small gap around the edge and found this does help but still have to detail
  Gordon

Ian Rochester

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 08:47:14 pm »
I have found that if you leave a gap, then you will also leave dirt on the edges of the window.  To do the job properly you need to detail. 

Dog-earing your squeegee does help but it also wears out your rubbers mighty fast.

brightnclean

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 09:10:20 pm »
Have u tried using pure water and a "proper" WC detergent?

Its amazing how much better it is this way. Any detailing is minimal.

* mike RH

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:15:12 pm »
Detail with your left as you squeegee with your right.

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 07:38:25 pm »
thanks guys . yes i am using gg and have also tried leaving a small gap around the edges but still detail . it is minimal but still have to do it .
  Gordon

JM123

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 08:27:47 pm »
try leading with the edge closest to the frame, the water on the window moves to the highest point of the squeegee, so if you lead with the edge closest to the frame then the water will move to the inside of the window - cuts detailing down to a minimum, turbo terry works in a similar way if you look at his vids, I've been doing it this way for years - gonna have a wee crack at terry's record at next years show if I can make it over.

I reckon I can do it! 8) :P
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 08:35:32 pm »
I find it quick to wipe the edge very briefly after washing, but before squeegeeing.

That way you don't have to wash accurately, and that saves a few seconds.
Just slap it on all over, quick wipe around edges to remove excess, then squeegee.

Hardly any detailing left, if any, because you've washed right to the edge, and you've squeegeed all the water off. ;)

Mike 108

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 10:09:34 pm »
I always wipe the full frame, every time.  With my thumb on the glass inside the frame and my fingers on the frame it wipes the frame and removes water from the edge of the glass at the same time. It reduces the amount of detailing (nil most times) but you still have to check for the odd 'run'.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:43:04 am »
It also depends on the window frames, some lend themselves to little or no detailing if your technique is good, others you have to detail, I often use the method that Squeaks mentioned.
On other occasions the weather conditions force you to detail whether you want to or not! :-\
You must all have experienced those days when the water keeps 'bleeding' out from the edges of the glass?
Also makes 'buffing' Georgian windows a right pain too as the glass is condensating almost as fast as you are cleaning them :'(

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 07:07:15 am »

Ian , `Squeaks`, have you ever tried cutting a `notch` out of your rubber or setting the
Rubber inside your channel to allow for the mouldings on upvc window frames.It can
Eliminate `detailing` altogether in most cases.How `dog-earing` a channel on modern
Window frames works beats me `hands down`,unless ya cut a square section out of
The channel first.It takes about a quarter of an hour to prepare each channel for use
With just a couple of basic tools.
`.
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 08:24:18 pm »
Itried detailing first and found it quite effective but its still detailing and takes time . i was wondering if prehaps i was being too fussy but want to do a 1st class job
 gordon

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 03:13:29 pm »
Wiping first is the answer.

Swab - wipe the top and side frames with a sill cloth or similar, making sure to wipe about 1" of the glass as well.  If you keep your sill cloth wrung out, it will remove 99% of the water on the frame and on the glass next to the frame.

Then squeegee.  If your technique is right, the squeegee will direct the water towards the centre of the glass and there will be just enough moisture at the edge to allow the blade to slide and remove that last tiny bit of water along with any crap floating in it.

Practice till you've got it right, then you'll never need to detail again.

Cheers,

Ian

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 09:00:16 pm »
 i have tried most of these techniques before with a greater or lesser degree of sucess. i think because i have been working alone for so long ive got stuck in the rut of working the way i do. stil with more work being done wfp now i guess it doesnt matter to much .
 I tend to find larger panes of glass easier to clean without detailing than smaller ones .
  Gordon