Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

How many of us have fallen from a Ladder?

Yes
60.8%
48 (60.8%)
No
39.2%
31 (39.2%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: May 08, 2007, 10:36:00 pm

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: Fallen from Ladder
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 12:22:48 am »
Who needs TV

Fivestar Cleaning

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 07:07:46 pm »
I've fell off twice in twenty years. First time I used a stone as a wedge and it crumpled as I got to the top rung OUCH. Second time there was a built up of ice at the base of the ladders and they slid away as i got to the top again.

gmccleaning

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 07:26:20 pm »
Fell off a ladder 2 years ago havent been up one since ( broken jaw & very sore arm /shoulder , 3 days in hospital ),looking at starting window cleaning again this time single storey houses

george

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 07:42:04 pm »
They say you learn from experience.  In my early days I seemed to need to experience every conceivable way to fall, but I learned.  I never fell the same way twice ;D.

All these falls were minor incidents, resulting in bruises and damaged ego, and only once slightly serious (broken wrist).

Then in 1977 came the big one.  I put my trust in a window ledge which had been damaged and repaired by skimming over with cement.  The repair wasn't obvious and I wasn't looking for it.  I leaned on it and it gave way, throwing me off balance.  I parted company with my ladder and fell 18 feet on to a concrete footpath, landing upright.

I broke both heel bones and destroyed both sub-talar (part of the ankle) joints.

Eighteen months off work.  Two operations.  Steel pins still in me holding the bones together.  Permanently disabled (completely flat footed and no sideways movement in my ankles)

Even now, thirty years later I still ache at the end of the day.

But I survived :)  And I learned the ultimate lesson:  There is only one person responsible for your safety, and that's you.  I always use proper window cleaners ladders and I always do a "mini" risk assessment (although I've only recently found out they're called that!!) before I climb the ladder.

From that day on I've never had another fall, and I believe that provided I always take the few seconds to ensure the ladder is safe before I climb it I never will, but I'll never become complacent - a moments inattention could be the last slip I'll ever make.  My achy feet and lopsided walk are a constant reminder to double check every time.

Cheers,

Ian

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 10:54:16 pm »
They say you learn from experience.  In my early days I seemed to need to experience every conceivable way to fall, but I learned.  I never fell the same way twice ;D.

All these falls were minor incidents, resulting in bruises and damaged ego, and only once slightly serious (broken wrist).

Then in 1977 came the big one.  I put my trust in a window ledge which had been damaged and repaired by skimming over with cement.  The repair wasn't obvious and I wasn't looking for it.  I leaned on it and it gave way, throwing me off balance.  I parted company with my ladder and fell 18 feet on to a concrete footpath, landing upright.

I broke both heel bones and destroyed both sub-talar (part of the ankle) joints.

Eighteen months off work.  Two operations.  Steel pins still in me holding the bones together.  Permanently disabled (completely flat footed and no sideways movement in my ankles)

Even now, thirty years later I still ache at the end of the day.

But I survived :)  And I learned the ultimate lesson:  There is only one person responsible for your safety, and that's you.  I always use proper window cleaners ladders and I always do a "mini" risk assessment (although I've only recently found out they're called that!!) before I climb the ladder.

From that day on I've never had another fall, and I believe that provided I always take the few seconds to ensure the ladder is safe before I climb it I never will, but I'll never become complacent - a moments inattention could be the last slip I'll ever make.  My achy feet and lopsided walk are a constant reminder to double check every time.

Cheers,

Ian

:o

I'm speechless

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 11:01:45 pm »
you cant beat the rubber feet on the bottom of the wooden ladders

wouldn't trust anything else up at that height, i can do things most people cant with them rubber feet

IM INVINCIBLE

*flys off with cape between legs

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 11:04:46 pm »
not gonna vote might tempt fate
P&R Window Cleaning

Jason Atwell

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 11:06:14 pm »
After a post like ians,  dont really understand yours alex, maybe youy need to re-read??
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

* mike RH

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
Another lucky escape,

I've never fallen but I once got lazy and instead of moving an obstacle (a table) I put the ladders out wider to accomodate the distance from the wall.

Once I got to the top, I just felt the ladders go from under my feet. They slipped backwards about three feet along the path but fortunately they slipped off the path into the gargen soil and jammed, stopping the slide any further.

I had one hand on the sill at the time and managed to keep my balance. Heart was in my mouth though!

Another time, I was a bit higher doing a box shaped bay window. I put the ladders near the left end of the window and attempted doing one half of the front whilst reaching round to do the left side of the box bay window.

Anyway, I over reached and the ladder slipped sideways and twisted round onto the corner of the sill.
Again I had one hand on the sill and managed to use my body weight to pull the ladders back round balancing on one rung. Phew!

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 11:12:16 pm »
Another lucky escape,

I've never fallen but I once got lazy and to instead of moving an obstacle (a table) I put the ladders out wider to go accomodate the distance from the wall.

Once I got to the top, I just felt the ladders go from under my feet. They slipped backwards about three feet along the path but fortunately they slipped off the path into the gargen soil and jammed, stopping the slide any further.

I had one hand on the sill at the time and managed to keep my balance. Heart was in my mouth though!

Another time, I was a bit higher doing a box shaped bay window. I put the ladders near the left end of the window and attempted doing one half of the front whilst reaching round to do the left side of the box bay window.

Anyway, I over reached and the ladder slipped sideways and twisted round onto the corner of the sill.
Again I had one hand on the sill and managed to use my body weight to pull them back round balancing on one rung. Phew!

brown pants time :O
when I'm cleaning windows

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 10:34:15 pm »
Well thanks for voting, interesting results.  Not trying to be biased here but I guess it means that ladders are officially dangerous which is why we should be charging a good amount of money.  No doubt most if not all of those who have fallen were safety conscious but it just goes to show that time and unforeseen occurrence can befall (no pun) us all.

I'm well impressed with those that had bad falls and continued being shiners hats off to them.

Simon.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 12:16:42 am »
Amazes me the number of times over the years that customers have tried to get me to do downright dangerous things to clean their windows with no regard for my safety. I'm a fairly tollerent chap and in my time I've taken a bit of messin' around from some of my customers but one thing I won't stand for is a customer who wants me to do a job he or she can't be bothered to do and risk my health/life doing it. Have any of you guys/gals had similar problems with customers?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 06:20:06 am »
Amazes me the number of times over the years that customers have tried to get me to do downright dangerous things to clean their windows with no regard for my safety. I'm a fairly tollerent chap and in my time I've taken a bit of messin' around from some of my customers but one thing I won't stand for is a customer who wants me to do a job he or she can't be bothered to do and risk my health/life doing it. Have any of you guys/gals had similar problems with customers?

Generally if I've told a customer I won't be doing a part of the job as it would feel unsafe for me they've happily accepted it.  However, there was one who had a window above a ground floor gabled roof who was amazed that I would not walk along the ridge to clean a bedroom window (it was inaccessible by pole and squeegee and remembering it now, I think it would be hard to get to it with WFP as well).  The funny thing was that she was a student - in law.

dudek

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 11:58:55 am »
Had a couple of falls but touch wood have never broken anything!

gordonswindows

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 01:21:22 pm »
Hey Sherwood
most of these stories make me laugh.
Yes twice from roofs once from ladders.

Now no ladders WFP all the way
if clients dont like it they find another w/c you know, the the daft ones.
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 02:09:07 pm »
Nothing daft about ladders.
I've never "fallen off" one. ::)

But then my name isn't Frank Spencer.

NWH

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 02:25:40 pm »
OOO BETTY..